• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

And I was answering Scara on his islamophobia comment.

The economic crash is certainly a part of it. And I think the connection between economic insecurity and growing xenophobia is fairly well established so the two are not isolated issues of course.

Absolutely, income has flat lined for ten years. What I do think is interesting is that as in the UK anti-immigrant sentiment appears to be highest in areas with the lowest levels of immigration.

A key difference between the Trump vote and Brexit is that the UK is practically at full employment whereas unemployment is at 10% in the States and higher in the areas that swung to Trump.

I don't think that protectionism is the solution to industrial decline either.

Absolutely, income has flat lined for ten years. What I do think is interesting is that as in the UK anti-immigrant sentiment appears to be highest in areas with the lowest levels of immigration.

A key difference between the Trump vote and Brexit is that the UK is practically at full employment whereas unemployment is at 10% in the States and higher in the areas that swung to Trump.

I don't think that protectionism is the solution to industrial decline either.

Underemployment is just s big an issue in both countries, particularly in the US.

The choice for the voter at the election, was for more of the same or something new. In the eight years under Obama, americans have seen taxes rises , they have also seen dependency on the food stamp increased by some 50%. America does not need more of the same it cannot forever be increasing it's $20 trillion national debt. It needs a low taxed economic policy implemented.

All the blame cannot be laid at Obama's door , the political establishment all have to take their share of the blame and Trump told them in his campaign, in at times an uncouth manner, not that they didn't deserve it . No doubt he will end up their puppet of that I'm sure.

But what really swung it for me is that in my near 60 years on this earth, he were the first US presidential nominee other than Ron Paul, that I heard state, "America must give up fighting these unnecessary wars , we must not be going around doing regime change". Hillary on the other hand for me at least, offered a nightmarish foreign policy.
You are absolutely right on this IMO. The vote for Trump was in effect a vote against more of the same. Actually polls did show(if they can still be believed any more) that neither of the choices on offer were that palatable to the majority of voters, but the difference maker on election day was ever more marginalised blue collar worker. His/her decision was a financial one and given what they were facing with a Clinton back in the White House for at least another 4 years that was enough to make their minds up.

What did they vote for though? I really don't think that has been articulated at all, neither during the campaign nor since. Trump amazingly got through 18 months of campaigning and hardly said a thing. He a had a number of soundbites that he trotted out over and over, a lot of them complete nonsense, but nothing of any substance. Effectively he just said he said he was going to be super or tremendous at everything. You have to applaud the sheer brazenness of it really.

You are absolutely right on this IMO. The vote for Trump was in effect a vote against more of the same. Actually polls did show(if they can still be believed any more) that neither of the choices on offer were that palatable to the majority of voters,
Illustrated heavily by the fact that any time either candidate appeared in the press, their ratings took a dive rather than a bump.

I think that we should be focusing on the people that he is appointing to key positions.

I suspect that him creating controversies to distract attention from his actions is going to be a feature of the next four years. We should try not to make his job easier by falling for it.

Appointments to key positions and particularly the supreme court appointment will be telling about what he wants to achieve I think.

At the same time he has to play a political game to get (enough) republicans on his side to get stuff done if he wants to change legislation in any meaningful way.

I think that we should be focusing on the people that he is appointing to key positions.

I suspect that him creating controversies to distract attention from his actions is going to be a feature of the next four years. We should try not to make his job easier by falling for it.

He'll be the attention grabbing sideshow while his cronies undo years of hard work by the democrats on things that benefit the poor. I can only see things getting worse for the majority of his voters, but they'll still vote for him again next time. He's trying to appoint someone whose been turned down for key positions in the past due to blatant racism as attorney general.

Appointments to key positions and particularly the supreme court appointment will be telling about what he wants to achieve I think.

At the same time he has to play a political game to get (enough) republicans on his side to get stuff done if he wants to change legislation in any meaningful way.

Indeed. I fear for the worst

Last edited:
What do you mean by underemployment?

Workers who are in work, that well below their level of expertise and qualification and those who are trapped into casual work doing a couple of days here and a couple there when they need on-going full time jobs. The US is the capital of the under employed. The two job bread winner.

Workers who are in work, that well below their level of expertise and qualification and those who are trapped into casual work doing a couple of days here and a couple there when they need on-going full time jobs. The US is the capital of the under employed. The two job bread winner.

I thought that is what you meant but just wanted to check. Yes that is a problem. I am not sure that there is an easy answer when so much manufacturing/industry is not viable in the UK or US because the costs of production are so high.

CVdS0T7WoAAAiYL.jpg

It worked, the NY Times led on these comments rather than him stumping up £25m to avoid the Trump university fraud charge or the nutjobs that he is appointing to key positions.

It worked, the NY Times led on these comments rather than him stumping up £25m to avoid the Trump university fraud charge or the nutjobs that he is appointing to key positions.

you'd think they would be too smart for such manipulation by now

you'd think they would be too smart for such manipulation by now

If they posted the three stories about racist nutjobs being selected for important jobs, Trump settling over a fraud charge and the theatre incident next to each other, I have no doubt which one would get the most clicks. Sadly.

Back