• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

The Gish gallop (/ˈɡɪʃ ˈɡæləp/) is a rhetorical technique in which a person in a debate attempts to overwhelm their opponent by providing an excessive number of arguments with no regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments.

I'd never heard of that. I agree, that is Trump to a tee. I've had similar happen to me in arguments, I'm trying to counter bullsh*t arguments with facts and proper responses but someone is just spilling forth an overwhelming torrent of lies and rubbish so each point gets lost.

That debate was like sending a 6 year old out to fight a 36 year old.

It is clear to me that the Dems put Biden out in front of cameras to bring things to a head and to make it super clear that he is not at all fit to lead thus forcing him to step aside and let someone else take over.
People won't remember the facts of the debate, but they will remember that Biden looked like he should be in a care home with someone feeding him his food.
I hate Trump, but my GHod surely there is a human in America that is better than Biden to challenge Trump?
Think you may be giving the Democratic Party a bit too much credit there. As the American comedian Will Rogers once said, “I am not a member of any organised political party. I am a Democrat.”

Its a ridiculous situation. He should have stood aside months ago and given someone young and charismatic like Pete Buttigieg the chance
Buttigieg is a super star but a massive risk in another way because of his sexuality. That shouldn't be the case but it would be.

The dems have loads of good options but all carry their own risks. I think Newsom stands the best chance but it doesn't sound like Biden is stepping aside based on the noise since the debate (e.g his rally last night and Obama's comments). If that is the case and Biden is the nominee then the dems cannot be divided. The stakes are too high.

I agree he won't last the 4 years, but he doesn't have to. He just has to get elected. Folks are also voting for the first black woman president really. The decision is whether he is more likely to beat Trump or someone else is and it is not that clear either way. And he is no more in cognitive decline than Trump is, who has clear signs of dementia. A juiced up Trump won that debate using a gish gallop technique, a nightmare for stutterers most of all, especially old ones trying to counter with detailed facts. That was a mess but 90mins doesn't wipe 4 nightmare years under Trump and 3.5 mostly good ones under Biden. In a month or so I'm thinking the needle will not have changed all that much. They are very little undecided at this point.
Kamala Harris is not popular, and she is a another reason why it is imperative that Biden steps down.

Buttigieg is a super star but a massive risk in another way because of his sexuality. That shouldn't be the case but it would be.

The dems have loads of good options but all carry their own risks. I think Newsom stands the best chance but it doesn't sound like Biden is stepping aside based on the noise since the debate (e.g his rally last night and Obama's comments). If that is the case and Biden is the nominee then the dems cannot be divided. The stakes are too high.
Buttigieg came 3rd in 2020 behind Biden and Saunders, when he was only 38 too. He really is the future if they have any sense.

Its sad the sexuality thing you mention. No one here seemed to mind Ted Heath having all those rent boys, and that was way back in the 70s

Last edited:
Kamala Harris is not popular, and she is a another reason why it is imperative that Biden steps down.
She is the most popular choice to take over the nominee according to polls, but not popular enough to win. This is my point really. There is no guarantee the substitute would fair any better than Biden.

Buttigieg came 3rd in 2020 behind Biden and Saunders, when he was only 38 too. He really is the future if they have any point.

Its sad the sexuality thing you mention. No one here seemed to mind Ted Heath having all those rent boys, and that was way back in the 70s
3rd in the dem primaries does not really signal anything in the national vote. I like him but he is just a big a risk as Biden if not more so.

3rd in the dem primaries does not really signal anything in the national vote. I like him but he is just a big a risk as Biden if not more so.
He needed the nomination to have the chance to show people how capable and likable he is.

I guess his Transport Minister job will have given him some profile, like if say Grant Shapps came in for Sunak with 5 months to go

I agree he won't last the 4 years, but he doesn't have to. He just has to get elected. Folks are also voting for the first black woman president really. The decision is whether he is more likely to beat Trump or someone else is and it is not that clear either way. And he is no more in cognitive decline than Trump is, who has clear signs of dementia. A juiced up Trump won that debate using a gish gallop technique, a nightmare for stutterers most of all, especially old ones trying to counter with detailed facts. That was a mess but 90mins doesn't wipe 4 nightmare years under Trump and 3.5 mostly good ones under Biden. In a month or so I'm thinking the needle will not have changed all that much. They are very little undecided at this point.

The real issue is that voters are voting on personalities and not policies.
That of course is how elections are presented now a days. In the debates it's about the person, not about the policies.

The real issue is that voters are voting on personalities and not policies.
That of course is how elections are presented now a days. In the debates it's about the person, not about the policies.
Humans are dumb. 80% of elections are still won by the taller candidate, as humans subconciously still associate physical prowess with leadership. Stone age brains in a space age world.

Trump must be rubbing his little hands while the Dems crash and burn for not having the balls to replace a candidate showing signs of cognitive impairment. I bet Trump cannot wait for the second debate.

Back