• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

25 player premier league squad

We've hit our targets - Now at 35 players with 5 underage and 5 out on loan, leaving us with 25 players. 19 are overseas (*):

Lloris*
Vorm*
Friedel*

Walker
Naughton
Rose
BAE*

Verts*
Fazio*
Chiriches*
Kaboul*
Khumalo*

Capoue*
Paulinho*
Dembele*
Eriksen*
Stombouli*
Mason

Lamela*
Chadli*
Lennon
Townsend
Ceballos*

Soldado*
Ade*

-------

Underage (5)
Davies
Dier
Veljkovic
Bentaleb
Kane

Loans (5)
Archer
Yedlin*
Fredericks
Carroll
Holtby*

Khumalo and BAE will miss out.

I like the look of that squad, numbers and depth-wise, for Poch's first window, it's a decent if unspectacular one.

I like the look of that squad, numbers and depth-wise, for Poch's first window, it's a decent if unspectacular one.

I think our weaknesses are LWF and CM.

Chadli isn't a bad option, but Lennon playing inverted doesn't bring goals or assists.

Two from Stombouli, Bentaleb and Capoue for CM is decent, but I don't think that's competitive enough to match the big teams.

So basically Rodriguez and Schneiderlin shaped holes. Maybe Ceballos and Mason will feature more than we expect?

We seem to be selling all our English players. Im not about us having a stack load of english players, but i would not like to see us go down the Saudi Sportswashing Machine route. In the last year we have Sold Caulker, Livermore, Huddlestone and Dawson. Im not sure the players we replaced them with are better. Just different.

With it possible that Naughton and Lennon could go in the next window as well we will just have Rose, Dier and Kane as possible starters.

Last edited:
We seem to be selling all our English players. Im not about us having a stack load of english players, but i would not like to see us go down the Saudi Sportswashing Machine route. In the last year we have Sold Caulker, Livermore, Huddlestone and Dawson. Im not sure the players we replaced them with are better. Just different.

With it possible that Naughton and Lennon could go in the next window as well we will just have Rose, Dier and Kane as possible starters.

It's the state of the English game though. We just don't nurture players to be technical enough.

Our 6 HG players - Walker, Naughton, Rose, Mason, Lennon and Townsend - doesn't make the greatest reading - I think only Walker we could be confident about having a long term future here.

But we also have Davies (Welsh), Dier, Kane, Archer (Scottish), Fredericks, Carroll, Pritchard and Coulthirst on our books, who due to being underage or out-on-loan aren't named in our 23.

I think it's better than we are bringing through our own youth team players like Kane and Townsend, rather than buying them for massively inflated fees from clubs beneath us. The Dawson/Huddlestone/Lennon route did work well for us, but too many people got cute to it and it's not an attractive market any more.

Two from Stombouli, Bentaleb and Capoue for CM is decent, but I don't think that's competitive enough to match the big teams.

Last season I think it worked out to be 27-2 versus the top 4 and this season in our first big test we go down 0-3 at home.

One thing that transcends all coaches who have been involved in these debacles is the shape of the team and particularly the fact that in all cases if I am not mistaken we go with a midfield of 2 players.

Is there a case for a having a midfield 3 when it comes to playing these teams and as a consequence adding some much needed backbone and overcoming our palpable fragility in the middle of the park?

Stombouli, Bentaleb and Paulinho seems logical and ensures an athleticism that you don't get with a more static option like Capoue.

Food for though..?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Kane, Mason, Ceballos and Veljkovic too.

Well none are in the 25 man squad are they. They are not really important are they in terms of 25 man squad criteria.
The squad IMO is bloated with overseas players which I find disappointing. Another disconnect.

It's the state of the English game though. We just don't nurture players to be technical enough.

Our 6 HG players - Walker, Naughton, Rose, Mason, Lennon and Townsend - doesn't make the greatest reading - I think only Walker we could be confident about having a long term future here.

But we also have Davies (Welsh), Dier, Kane, Archer (Scottish), Fredericks, Carroll, Pritchard and Coulthirst on our books, who due to being underage or out-on-loan aren't named in our 23.

I think it's better than we are bringing through our own youth team players like Kane and Townsend, rather than buying them for massively inflated fees from clubs beneath us. The Dawson/Huddlestone/Lennon route did work well for us, but too many people got cute to it and it's not an attractive market any more.

You may be right but Walker and Naughton are more recent examples of this route so not sure we're quite at the end of the road just yet. At the time the £10m we shelled out for Bale looked expensive and risky but - well, need i say more?

Is the Aftrican Nations this February?

17 January – 8 February

Qualification should be pretty straightforward for the 3 countries involving our players - the groups are 2 from 4, with 2 seeded teams (which Mali, Cameroon and South Africa all are) in each.

Last season I think it worked out to be 27-2 versus the top 4 and this season in our first big test we go down 0-3 at home.

One thing that transcends all coaches who have been involved in these debacles is the shape of the team and particularly the fact that in all cases if I am not mistaken we go with a midfield of 2 players.

Is there a case for a having a midfield 3 when it comes to playing these teams and as a consequence adding some much needed backbone and overcoming our palpable fragility in the middle of the park?

Stombouli, Bentaleb and Paulinho seems logical and ensures an athleticism that you don't get with a more static option like Capoue.

Food for though..?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Yes I thought this as well for the 'pool match. I think that we need to sacrifice some attacking threat for a bit more protection against some teams. Mind you I wouldn't have Paulinho anywhere near the CM's spots. Backbone and Paulinho will only be in the same sentence with the words 'has none'.

Kane, Mason, Ceballos and Veljkovic too.

Well none are in the 25 man squad are they. They are not really important are they in terms of 25 man squad criteria.
The squad IMO is bloated with overseas players which I find disappointing. Another disconnect.

I have to say I agree. The overvaluation of English players is having a hugely detrimental impact on the development of our national side.The other 'big' leagues all have players throughout Europe, yet England has very few.

The only way I can think of to devalue English players to bring them more in line with their skill levels would be to get rid of the home grown issue entirely, but if that was to occur I think we'd go through a number of years with very few English players in the top teams.

The wages that are provided to players who simply aren't that good might be an added point, money may be too flush in the England leagues to sort this problem out. Case in point, pretty much every top english team has a couple of average English players on wages way above their skill comparative in Europe.

I mean, Rooney on 300k a week? That's possibly the biggest joke in the history of football.

The old dinosaur attitudes still prevail among most managers. It's an eternal cycle of overpaid journeymen, always getting another shot instead of giving youth a chance. The majority of the "lesser" clubs seem to only care about reaching 40 points and surviving for one more season. If they're ever going to get anywhere, or at least avoid playing in front of empty stadiums, they need to start thinking long term. Sort out their academies, invest in them and start bringing them into the first team instead of filling up the squad with useless has beens, simply because they have the necessary experience to grind out scrappy draws. Put in place some kind of philosophy, what kind of football do we want to play, get rid of the Warnocks and Allardyces and McLeishes and start promoting coaches that value football over solidity at the back.

Most importantly, youth scouts need to stop focusing on big, strong lads. Being able to outmuscle another 14-year old is no indicator of talent.

17 January – 8 February

Qualification should be pretty straightforward for the 3 countries involving our players - the groups are 2 from 4, with 2 seeded teams (which Mali, Cameroon and South Africa all are) in each.

Who plays for Mali ?

Do you mean Togo.. not forgetting Algeria too.

So just Adebayor and Bentaleb? Not a disaster; if Kane has come on enough by then we will manage with him and Soldado otherwise it'll be Defoe or Dempsey on loan ;)

With the squad we have now, could we 'do a Liverpool' and play a diamond with two strikers?:-k
I think both Ade and Soldado's game would be helped if they had each other close by.

Is playing with two strikers something that MoPo has done in the past?

The 25 are:

Emmanuel Adebayor
Etienne Capoue
Cristian Ceballos
Nacer Chadli
Vlad Chiriches
Mousa Dembele
Christian Eriksen
Federico Fazio
Brad Friedel
Younes Kaboul
Erik Lamela
Hugo Lloris
Paulinho
Roberto Soldado
Benjamin Stambouli
Jan Vertonghen
Michel Vorm
Aaron Lennon
Ryan Mason
Kyle Naughton
Danny Rose
Andros Townsend
Kyle Walker

UEFA A LIST

Emmanuel Adebayor
Etienne Capoue
Nacer Chadli
Vlad Chiriches
Ben Davies
Mousa Dembele
Eric Dier
Christian Eriksen
Federico Fazio
Younes Kaboul
Erik Lamela
Hugo Lloris
Paulinho
Roberto Soldado
Benjamin Stambouli
Jan Vertonghen
Michel Vorm
Aaron Lennon
Ryan Mason
Danny Rose
Andros Townsend
Kyle Naughton
Kyle Walker

Nabil Bentaleb and Harry Kane appear on the UEFA B list.

Friedel and Ceballos miss out to make room for Dier and Davies.

Back