• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Riyad Mahrez

Mahrez and Barkley are different types of player. This isn't an either or situation.

Sell Sissoko and get both. Our squad needs depth not duds.

Mahrez and Barkley are different types of player. This isn't an either or situation.

Different types of player, but similar position - i.e. both AMs. So both would be competing with Alli, Eriksen, Son and Lamela for 2 or 3 spots in the team (depending on formation)

Sissoko is awful; Mahrez is massively over-valued and has one good season.

Barkley has potential and should be at a price where he could be undevalued once Poch has got hold of him

I know which I'd prefer
One exceptional season. Was good the season before that too and was mentioned on here as a potential transfer target that summer.

6 goals and 3 assists in the league this season isn't quite good enough even for a struggling team. But it's not terrible either. Matches the best Sissoko has ever gotten in his career and Barkley is only racking up somewhat better numbers for a better team.

Of the attacking Leicester players he always looked the most likely to step up to a bigger team successfully to me. Very capable in tight spaces, fairly head up and quite good against bus parking teams.

Agreed on the first paragraph. Not least they naturally play in different positions. Barkley seems at his best in the central AM position, Mahrez naturally plays on the right. For me the right sided position is where we're in more need of cover/competition.

Not sure about signing both. We have Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela, Nkoudou and Sissoko currently. That's 6 players for 3 positions in our 4-2-3-1 or 2 positions in our 3-4-3. Mahrez or Barkley in for Sissoko seems good to me unless we want to give up on Nkoudou.

To me, Mahrez is a winger who would give us another dimension. His left foot is quality and whether that's on the right wing cutting in, or on the left delivering decent balls into the box.

Nkoudou isn't up to it IMO. Sell Sissoko and him and get Barkley and Mahrez equates to a significant increase in squad depth quality. Without breaking the bank if Barkley is 25m and Mahrez 30m which seem fair prices.

To me, Mahrez is a winger who would give us another dimension. His left foot is quality and whether that's on the right wing cutting in, or on the left delivering decent balls into the box.

Nkoudou isn't up to it IMO. Sell Sissoko and him and get Barkley and Mahrez equates to a significant increase in squad depth quality. Without breaking the bank if Barkley is 25m and Mahrez 30m which seem fair prices.
I think we're likely to end up with an unhappy player or two by the end of the season if we sign both. This season we even struggled to get Son on the pitch at times and that was with Lamela out all season.

One younger up and coming player (Nkoudou or someone else) seems like a better balance to me.

I dont disagree that we could do with adding a couple players in attacking type positions - an attacking midfielder like Barkley would be a good addition, but unless the Mahrez fee comes down a lot from the £50m reported, then he is a no-go for the second addition

I don't rate Mahrez as much as people do, decent he is for sure but I don't think he is much better than a fully fit Lamela.

I think we're likely to end up with an unhappy player or two by the end of the season if we sign both. This season we even struggled to get Son on the pitch at times and that was with Lamela out all season.

One younger up and coming player (Nkoudou or someone else) seems like a better balance to me.

Mahrez and GKN are quite different in styles - GKN is an out and out winger for whom pace is his primary asset; Mahrez is someone with tricky rather than pace and plays a lot more centrally that GKN

I don't rate Mahrez as much as people do, decent he is for sure but I don't think he is much better than a fully fit Lamela.
So would a fully fit Lamela get PL player of the year? I think not. Yes he downed tools last year, just like everyone else in that Leicester side did. He beats players for fun and adds a creative angle we don't have. I really like Lamela by the way.....

So would a fully fit Lamela get PL player of the year? I think not. Yes he downed tools last year, just like everyone else in that Leicester side did. He beats players for fun and adds a creative angle we don't have. I really like Lamela by the way.....

Mahrez had a great season that was his career highlight to date

Lamella had a very similar season the one before he signed for us

Mahrez had a great season that was his career highlight to date

Lamella had a very similar season the one before he signed for us
Italy is a completely different league, and he didn't even win player of the year in the league there. It's not even about comparing the two anyway. We have enough nice pretty passing type players Lamela being one. We don't have anyone who can beat players one on one on the wing or in central positions then go on to shoot/score. We are desperate for that type of player, consider him a poor mans Bale if you want but he would add quality and that X factor....

Italy is a completely different league, and he didn't even win player of the year in the league there. It's not even about comparing the two anyway. We have enough nice pretty passing type players Lamela being one. We don't have anyone who can beat players one on one on the wing or in central positions then go on to shoot/score. We are desperate for that type of player, consider him a poor mans Bale if you want but he would add quality and that X factor....

I agree Italy is a different league and was a weak league then too but I stopped have any faith in the player of the year thing when giggs won it here and was gash but got the sentiment vote

I like Mahrez but he has shown he is flaky and we don't do flaky

I agree Italy is a different league and was a weak league then too but I stopped have any faith in the player of the year thing when giggs won it here and was gash but got the sentiment vote

I like Mahrez but he has shown he is flaky and we don't do flaky
Well Mahrez was deserving of that award, he was brilliant for them. Im not sure if he is flaky, he wasnt any worse than any of the others last year and had shown his quality in previous seasons at Leicester - even in the Championship. He is a realistic target unlike many that are mentioned on here and is a year or two away from his peak yet. Every transfer is a risk, and this is one Id be happy to take....

Well Mahrez was deserving of that award, he was brilliant for them. Im not sure if he is flaky, he wasnt any worse than any of the others last year and had shown his quality in previous seasons at Leicester - even in the Championship. He is a realistic target unlike many that are mentioned on here and is a year or two away from his peak yet. Every transfer is a risk, and this is one Id be happy to take....
Previous seasons he was a frequent sub

He played as an impact sub twice against us the year before winning the league and was great. I said then we should buy him but he would have been £5m... not £50m which is world class money IMO and he would have to be consistent for that

Mahrez and GKN are quite different in styles - GKN is an out and out winger for whom pace is his primary asset; Mahrez is someone with tricky rather than pace and plays a lot more centrally that GKN
I don't get this "GKN is an out and out winger." A couple of seasons ago Dier was an out and out defender and people were groaning when they heard Poch was readying him to play as a CM. I'm not saying it's going to be the same case with GKN, but I wouldn't be surprised if Poch changed his role to fit our system and he ended up a very useful player that brings pace to the final third. Or even turned him into a very serviceable wingback.

I don't get this "GKN is an out and out winger." A couple of seasons ago Dier was an out and out defender and people were groaning when they heard Poch was readying him to play as a CM. I'm not saying it's going to be the same case with GKN, but I wouldn't be surprised if Poch changed his role to fit our system and he ended up a very useful player that brings pace to the final third. Or even turned him into a very serviceable wingback.

There's a whole bunch of things you can come up with using a crystal ball and where there is no evidence. At the moment, whenever GKN has been on the pitch he's hugged the touchline as a winger. There's no evidence that his role might be changed as yet therefore the comment "GKN is an out and out winger" applies

There's a whole bunch of things you can come up with using a crystal ball and where there is no evidence. At the moment, whenever GKN has been on the pitch he's hugged the touchline as a winger. There's no evidence that his role might be changed as yet therefore the comment "GKN is an out and out winger" applies
At this point two years ago there was no evidence that Dier's role would be changed either. All I'm saying is that, based on the Dier example, don't pigeonhole players.

At this point two years ago there was no evidence that Dier's role would be changed either. All I'm saying is that, based on the Dier example, don't pigeonhole players.

until there's evidence to support otherwise you can't really base an opinion on something that may or may not happen.

Dier had played some games at CM for Lisbon previously as well iirc and also played for us in two different roles (CB and RB) so there is a precednet there for him having flexibility that we as of yet haven't seen from GKN

Back