• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What should guarantee Sherwood a new extended contract in the summer?

Sherwood's minimum target for a contract renewal:

• Champions League qualification

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Europa League qualification

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Winning Europa League

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Entertaining football irrespective of league position

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No targets; we've had enough chopping and changing

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Nothing; whatever he achieves come May will be a fluke

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
were you happy that AVB achieved neither and still kept his job??

Yeah, because AVB had actually done stuff in his managerial career like, you know, been in charge of a competitive top level match. Also I didn't see that much better out there last summer. LvG seems to be amenable and there is noise about it happening. I personally want that to happen whatever happens this season but if Sherwood wins the Europa League or gets in the CL and stays on then I won't be upset.

It's a pretty difficult question to answer without knowing the situation this summer.

If LvG's available then there's nothing Timmeh can do in 6 months to make him a better option. If there's nobody else available then he'll probably end up with the job no matter how badly he does.

Unless we absolutely Ramos the final 12 games of the season then he should keep the job. I'm sick of this ******** about needing a big name on big money who'll take a big pay off when we inevitably sack him in 18 months time.

Agree with this. As things stand he deserves another year but results should dictate his future. If we suffer numerous heavy defeats like the Liverpool or Emirates Marketing Project games then it's going to be hard for him to keep his job.

If this doesn't work out then at what point does 'the best chairman in Europe" have to take his share of the blame for making so many bad choices with regards to managers and director's of football?

Agree with this. As things stand he deserves another year but results should dictate his future. If we suffer numerous heavy defeats like the Liverpool or Emirates Marketing Project games then it's going to be hard for him to keep his job.

If this doesn't work out then at what point does 'the best chairman in Europe" have to take his share of the blame for making so many bad choices with regards to managers and director's of football?

"If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well." - Brian Clough

I don't want to see long contracts handed out right now tbh. I want us to take the rest of this season as it comes and if he finishes well and we get CL or just miss out then leave him to carry on his contract which has a year to run unless there is a plan that we don't specifically know about whereby he is being replaced regardless.

To be better qualified than van Gaal.

Can he win the CL, 7 league titles and some domestic cups by May? Not likely.

Got to be the best qualified man for the job, just like with any other recruitment process in any other walk of life. You just don't give a senior job to the work experience intern kid.

I think a more interesting poll would actually be no CL and van Gaal vs Timmeh and a season in the CL?

Which would more likely keep Lloris and Verts at the club, a legendary manager or CL fixtures?

To be better qualified than van Gaal.

Can he win the CL, 7 league titles and some domestic cups by May? Not likely.

Got to be the best qualified man for the job, just like with any other recruitment process in any other walk of life. You just don't give a senior job to the work experience intern kid.

So even if we qualify for CL and win the Europa, he's booted out regardless? Seriously??

I think a more interesting poll would actually be no CL and van Gaal vs Timmeh and a season in the CL?

Which would more likely keep Lloris and Verts at the club, a legendary manager or CL fixtures?

Is this rhetorical? if not the answer is obviously CL football.

I'm thinking it's a case of top 4 or bust. The board may be swayed if the side keeps improving and give TS the pre season etc to build in.

Personally though I think DL has got someone lined up and has done for a while. Sherwood getting these results will make Levy's life harder no doubt, but I think there is an agreement with someone be that LVG or who ever.

Yep I think Levy has an agreement (or agreements) in place with the next manager(s). I have a feeling that Levy was banking on Sherwood being a bit pants and it looks like he's actually not. Now if Sherwood actually pulls off the impossible and qualifies for the CL then Levy is in a bit of a pickle. The wave of euphoria and goodwill that a CL qualification would generate would mean that firing Sherwood would not go down well at all. He won;t pull the trigger. He'll bide his time an wait for a dip in form or the like and then pounce.

I see it as win win. Either we don't qualify and get one of the worlds best managers or we do and yippee, we are in the CL.

Is this rhetorical? if not the answer is obviously CL football.

Why? Both have already played plenty of CL football in their career (cf a bodyclock player) and are fixtures in their national teams (so that wont influence anything).

I can see why they'd move to a team that was competing for honours, but 6 group games against slightly better than EL teams, vs the chance to work under possibly the greatest manager of his generation. Remember Verts was also brought up in the Ajax system that so reveres him.

Why? Both have already played plenty of CL football in their career (cf a bodyclock player) and are fixtures in their national teams (so that wont influence anything).

I can see why they'd move to a team that was competing for honours, but 6 group games against slightly better than EL teams, vs the chance to work under possibly the greatest manager of his generation. Remember Verts was also brought up in the Ajax system that so reveres him.

Champions League = club having more money
= Better contracts
= better team mates
= better chance of success
= happier players

Champions League = club having more money
= Better contracts
= better team mates
= better chance of success
= happier players

I think Man U and Moyes in the last 6 months have shown there's no certainty of any of this. CL doesn't bring big names if the manager is a minnow.

I chose CL qualification but i think its more important how we get to the end of the season: the decisions that timmy makes and the response of the players and the press to him that will be crucial for his extension.

but he'd only a third into his contract (6 out of 18 months)... and I think the whole idea with levy is to assess timmy over the summer and to pass the rule over e player transfers, pre-season management, youth player development etc... so I'll expect him to stay for longer, and for a new coach next December, when we've suffered one or two thrashings so the sacking coincides to when emotions run high.

If a cabin boy steers the ship off the rocks in an emergency, you wouldn't make him captain of the next ship.

Do you have any other derogatory names you can call Sherwood (I guess Premier League winning player doesn't fit)? Young nonce? Wet-behid-the-ears-whipper-snapper? Rank amateur? Virgin-fumbler?

If a cabin boy steers the ship off the rocks in an emergency, you wouldn't make him captain of the next ship.

A few 'cabin boys' promoted from within who went on to win league titles as manager:

Bill Nicholson (8 major trophies in total)
Bob Paisley (13 major trophies incl 3 European Cups)
Don Revie (4 major trophies with Leeds)

Wow...you're actually delusional. Because they've played in those competitions it won't influence anything. Yes GB ok.

Top 4 or Europa Win ...

The expectation (right or wrong) is CL qualification, a cup win (first one in 6 or so years) could buy him more time, but 5th/6th and no silverware probably = change

Completely disagree with the earlier poster re the 18 months, 18 months is enough to stop undermining him, but easy enough to pay off without huge penalties. My biggest concern re how much the club back TS is the lack of activity in January, both on a selling and buying perspective.

Back