• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

• Levy was right to sack AVB

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Levy was wrong to sack AVB

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
Liverpool did it for me. The West Ham result was unnacceptable but we always have one shocking performance every season in the league at WHL even the year we first finished 4th. Everyone has been battered at The Etihad so I wasn't calling for his head even after that one. But the Liverpool result was one too many hammerings in a relatively short space of time that I felt enough was enough. That coupled with his snapping at the media and mishandling of several players and certain situations i.e. Lloris' head injury meant he had to go.

Blaming the crowd at WHL was also not a good career move.

I don't have a problem with people questioning the decision to appoint Sherwood, but to say we've been poor is inaccurate. We played well at Southampton and at United. First half against Palace wasn't good enough fair point, but we always play **** at Arsenal no matter who the manager is. We created more chances in those games than we did under AVB.

I have nothing against Sherwood ( and i find it stupid that some will give him no chance because he is a gooner that to me is pathetic). But i have been to every game and we have been poor in all of them except Stoke.

I don't have a problem with people questioning the decision to appoint Sherwood, but to say we've been poor is inaccurate. We played well at Southampton and at United. First half against Palace wasn't good enough fair point, but we always play **** at Arsenal no matter who the manager is. We created more chances in those games than we did under AVB.

There were several times against Manure and Soton when we looked shaky, but at least with TS and his 'new way of playing' we managed to score more than each of them. If AVB had continued as he had been they probably would have beendefeats (based on how the team had been playing).

Liverpool did it for me. The West Ham result was unnacceptable but we always have one shocking performance every season in the league at WHL even the year we first finished 4th. Everyone has been battered at The Etihad so I wasn't calling for his head even after that one. But the Liverpool result was one too many hammerings in a relatively short space of time that I felt enough was enough. That coupled with his snapping at the media and mishandling of several players and certain situations i.e. Lloris' head injury meant he had to go.

The WH game was a bit of a fluke I think. As you say these things happen, but the City and Liverpool games were both systematic failures which happened because the players had lost faith IMO. The high line only works if there is pressure on the ball and this was largely absent in the City and 'pool matches. Their midfielders had all the time in the world to turn and pick a pass into the acres of space behind our defenders. It seemed to me that the players lost any commitment they had to AVB's principles at that point and those two drubbings were the direct result. Despite our lack of imagination in the final third we were very stable defensively for a long stretch if you recall.

I was aghast at the time but I'm also happy with the good league results and am warming to Sherwood. He needs to sort out the large gap between our CM's and CB's but otherwise so far so good.

So you think the fans got him replaced, which IF true is a sad reflection on Levy for doing that.

Not at all, and all I said was that is was 'not a good career move'. I think that ****ging off the support was symptomatic of AVB's inability to deal with the pressures of the job and added to his problems. It did not help that the media seemed to have it in for him - unlike HR who could call the fans idiots for their comments on radio shows and contradict himself about the fact that the England manger speculation had no impact of the players and then three months later say he needed a new contract because the players needed to know who the manager was.

Was there much difference between AVB's "the fans can do better than that" and Redknapp's "the fans are idiots"?

I just answered this in another reply. Two differences for me. First, the comments are slightly different in that AVB said that the fans were making the team play worse (taking the heat off himself), and the press seemed to love HR and not AVB so they pounced on the Portugeezer's comments.

Yes. Relied too much on one player last season despite some insisting we would become more of a team that didn't rely on individual brilliance, wrong team selections, persisting stubbornly with the high line despite not having the personnel to make it effective, the handling of Lloris's head injury, dull football, no idea how to change games. Nice guy and I wish him the best, but he had to go.

Absolutely. No bout adout it.

I think there needs to be clarification.

Redknapp didn't call Spurs fans idiots, he called people who call up radio shows to complain idiots.

Many of those digging him out were Spurs fans though.

How do you know? Because they said so?

****ging off people who pay money to turn up at WHL (and are obviously Spurs fans) is a world away from ****ging off 4 or 5 people calling a radio show.

I think the time to judge AVB will be when ( and if ) he brings success to another club. Only then will we know if we were too quick to sack him.

at the time I thought it was wrong, but at the start of the season I said finishing behind Liverpool should be a sacking offence, maybe levy can see the future

Back