• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I think first half his passing was safe rather than incisive. There were a couple of bad ones that put us under pressure aside from the one that Bentaleb wasn't expecting.

Of course I fudgeing watched the game.
Did he have a perfect first half? no? He was decent.
You'd have to have a real personal issue with him to search the forum for the Carroll thread and bump it during the game.
Where you this hard on your hero Sol Campbell when he was coming through?

How in the world is Sol Campbell my hero? Because I said he was one of the best defenders to have come from Spurs? Really.

The Spurs central midfield didnt play so well today.

I thought he was poor again today.. Why does he insist on taking the ball off other prem players toes? Comes across big time and he then plays a pass that anyone could do.. Hit a couple of long decent pass but only when not under any pressure. I want to see him do something different that other players cant or under pressure.

I do not recall him doing that today*, but I do remember Lamela taking the ball right off his toes near the D of the penalty box as he was just about to spread it out to Trippier. The pass was cut out and they launched an attack.

He did hit some decent passes, as you say, when not under pressure, but his best pass in my view is the low rifled pass through a crowd of defenders to an attacker on the edge of the box.

* I'm not saying it did not happen; I just did not notice it.

I do remember Lamela taking the ball right off his toes near the D of the penalty box as he was just about to spread it out to Trippier. The pass was cut out and they launched an attack.
I thought Lamela was running with purpose, Carroll took it off his toe and Lamela was annoyed about it, can't remember really

I know this tactic and do not use it on me. Do not make me appear as if I am being unreasonable by projecting negative emotions on me and putting words 'in my mouth'.

I am being even handed. @Modric THFC's reply to your post was out of order and your response did nothing to take the heat out of the conversation. I am asking you both nicely to cut it out.

I do not recall him doing that today*, but I do remember Lamela taking the ball right off his toes near the D of the penalty box as he was just about to spread it out to Trippier. The pass was cut out and they launched an attack.

He did hit some decent passes, as you say, when not under pressure, but his best pass in my view is the low rifled pass through a crowd of defenders to an attacker on the edge of the box.

* I'm not saying it did not happen; I just did not notice it.

He constantly runs within 10ft of another player forcing them to pass it to him, its just not needed. Make an angle and let the player decide whether to give it to you, it also allows the other play to carry it forward into space. He actually cuts out options by doing what he does.. The example you said I actually dont have a massive problem with, yes Carrol was in the wrong and should have left it for Lamela but it was a quick decision that needed to be made and around the box when a dither from either of them and the ball would have been taken anyway.

He used to play like this in the youth teams, and whilst at the time he was the best passer on the pitch on most occasions and it looked impressive at that level it just doesnt cut it in the Prem. There are equal if not better passers in our team, the teams put you under more pressure which he struggles with, and he needs to learn to use his body to roll past players like Modric did.

I thought Lamela was running with purpose, Carroll took it off his toe and Lamela was annoyed about it, can't remember really

I could have sworn Carroll was the one actually in possession, though. No big deal, really, as these sorts of misunderstandings happen all the time. At least the pair of them did not take each other out of the game with a clash of heads.

I think first half his passing was safe rather than incisive. There were a couple of bad ones that put us under pressure aside from the one that Bentaleb wasn't expecting.

My big gripe about Carroll is that he passes sideways too much. In theory he's one of the best passers in the team so he should be playing the defence splitting passes, not playing safe

I wouldn't get too excited by Carroll either on the plus side or the negative side, though I do think he has improved a lot and I hope it continues. He's a squad player who is saving the legs of our more important players, and he's doing a decent job. He's played alright (sometimes played very well), got a few goals and not been detrimental to results. He's allowed Bentaleb to be given time to come back and has covered the absence of Mason. He hasn't moaned about having to wait for his minutes in the side and just comes in and gets on with it when called upon. Squad players like this are valuable.

My big gripe about Carroll is that he passes sideways too much. In theory he's one of the best passers in the team so he should be playing the defence splitting passes, not playing safe

Let's have a look at that for a moment. These are his passes against Everton, Leicester and Watford

Carroll_v_Everton.png

Carroll_v_Leicester.png

Carroll_v_Watford.png

By way of comparison, here are Dembele's passes against Sunderland. Probably the weakest opposition of the four.

Dembele_v_Sunderland.png

I had to go back five pages to find poor Tom. He was further back than Fazio, further than the Palace OMT even. Still no love for Tom eh? If you ever read these boards Tommy - I think you are first team standard, even if very few other people do.

There was a very good post, perhaps on this thread but unsure, mentioning that Carroll would have more of a following if as opposed to his fresh faced and eager well spoken attributes, he had double full sleeve tattoos, a bit more of an imposing figure alongside unnecessary aggression and a working class accent thrown in to the mix.

I think he has been excellent to have in and around the squad. It's difficult to overestimate the impact of someone who is always striving to receive the ball in any position and then move it on quickly. I think he has shown that he has more in his locker than thought of previously and although there is bound to be endless naysayers and groaners, Poch has seen young Tom as a very useful part of the squad.

In games where he hasn't excelled I would say that often he's not had the characteristics needed around him to emphasize what he can bring to the team. One big example being him and Mason being a midfield pairing away to Dortmund, quite simply not going to do the job and was bound to. Of course it depends on the opposition but I see Carroll being able to have more effect either in more of an advanced position or alongside Dier against teams wanting to sit back at the lane. If we do bring in a more defensive minded midfielder next season then there is more of a chance to recreate the first team XI with a few additions as opposed to it all falling apart when key players are in need of a rest.

I do like Carroll and the way he plays the game but as SP above says he got a lot of stick for the away game in BM but pairing him with Mason was a really bad move.

If we can unload Mason and Bentaleb and bring in another quality CM then I hope we can keep him.

I do like Carroll and the way he plays the game but as SP above says he got a lot of stick for the away game in BM but pairing him with Mason was a really bad move.

If we can unload Mason and Bentaleb and bring in another quality CM then I hope we can keep him.

Mason has a role with Poch, as does Carroll even if his contract situation is odd. Bentaleb seems out and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on.

Over summer our midfield doesn't need a ton of work, cover for Dier is the main requirement.
Carroll (if he doesn't go), Mason, Chadli & Pritchard will be the sub/rotation options fighting for 1st team spot.

To get back on topic, I still see Carroll as having to play an Eriksen type role to start.

I don't get what's good about him. He's a decent passer, but he requires far too much support and cover around him to work. He can't play in the 2 central positions. He's way too weak for that. The only viable option form him is the #10 position, and we have a lot of far better options there.

Back