• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood Testimonial OMT Spurs v Aston Villa 11th April

Till Dembele came on against Chelsea we where getting a battering, he is our best midfielder and it's madness he isn't in the team, let alone the squad ffs.

Mopo has made so many worrying and incorrect decisions this season, and instead of admitting his mistake kept doing it.

Dembele has been the problem for the previous 2 years. He just doesn't move the ball quick enough and is incompatible with a team that wants to pass - he caused turgid.

The whole point of a system is that you create something that is greater than the sum of its parts, and can operate without any particular individuals. Do you think there were times in the late 60s that Rinus Michels said 'nah, sod it - 4-4-2 and pump in some long balls'. Systems take a while to implement, but if you deviate you are back at square one again (which is what we've been doing for decades)

What a load of crap. Villa were worthy winners today, they had the 3 best chances of the game and took 1 of them. If you're clinging to an injury time dismissal and a few unlucky injuries to try to justify your stubborn belief that Sherwood isn't a good manager then it says everything.

On the pitch Sherwood is a drunken boxer who occasionally lands a punch.

Off the pitch he is a Nigel Farage - he just keeps shouting AIDs and Romanians (character and guts) and the monkeys clap

Off the pitch he is a Nigel Farage - he just keeps shouting AIDs and Romanians (character and guts) and the monkeys clap
Now hold on a minute. Farage is one of the lowest forms of life ever to have existed but that's a deep insult to him.

Is it just that the players hunger this season has left the building? After losing the Cup Final, being knocked out of the EL, and losing crucial Premier League fixtures, we no longer had anything to play for.

Our players seem to be putting in lazy performances against teams who bed the results for their season. Surely not overly surprising that we've started hitting bumps in the road. I'll be more disappointed if next season our performances remain unchanged.

Plus, why is it that whenever a team plays in the League Cup Final, so often their form turns to brick afterwards?

i think its mainly to do with the fact he receives zero supply. we could have diego costa up front or gerd müller, but if they were relying on townsend to provide them with chances then they would also struggle to get a shot off on target.

Yeah, but part of the reason is the supply is down is that he's been regularly doubled lately. He's not had the same amount of space.

Looks more like a pretty decent boxer to me?.... Seemed to be able to outbox Pochettino for the whole 12 rounds yesterday, or is it that you think Poch is just a patsy used to get other boxer's win ratios up?

Hi guys, first post for many months. I am just wondering if these recent defeats haven't done us a favour? If we finish 7th, do we still have to enter the EL?
The management challenge of preparing the team for just one game a week is far smaller and might suit Pochettino better. As for the man himself, it is early days but right now evidence of superior tactical nous and/or great motivational ability is hard to find. I wonder if his preference for younger players is because they conform to his vision ore readily, and don't question his decision-making, as more senior players might.
Already I feel nostalgic for the Sandro/Dembele combination: it was the most solid midfield we have had in 25 years wasn't it?

I've had enough of hearing about the system and players not fitting into it. The system hasn't been working for a very long time, fudge the system. Play the best players in the squad. Mason is not one of these, neither is Dier or Chiriches. The first two have talent, they will come good but we are relying on them week in week out

Looks more like a pretty decent boxer to me?.... Seemed to be able to outbox Pochettino for the whole 12 rounds yesterday, or is it that you think Poch is just a patsy used to get other boxer's win ratios up?
Only a simpleton could think that Villa did anything to stop our game yesterday - we just had 10 players out there who gave up after the cup final.

Burnley looked far more threatening against us and they don't have half the quality that Villa have. This is just typical Spurs in self-destruct mode. Nothing to see here, move along.

Hi guys, first post for many months. I am just wondering if these recent defeats haven't done us a favour? If we finish 7th, do we still have to enter the EL?
The management challenge of preparing the team for just one game a week is far smaller and might suit Pochettino better. As for the man himself, it is early days but right now evidence of superior tactical nous and/or great motivational ability is hard to find. I wonder if his preference for younger players is because they conform to his vision ore readily, and don't question his decision-making, as more senior players might.
Already I feel nostalgic for the Sandro/Dembele combination: it was the most solid midfield we have had in 25 years wasn't it?

How long will the young players back him if we keep turning in abject performances, Sandro/Dembele Modric/Huddlestone, boy have we gone backwards !

7th place will probably see us back in the EL but we'll have to start our season even earlier due to entering in the qualifying round rather than the Group Stage.

CCKjZbyWgAAuHKD.png:large

How long will the young players back him if we keep turning in abject performances, Sandro/Dembele Modric/Huddlestone, boy have we gone backwards !
Not forgetting the midfield beast who helped get Spurs into the Champions League: Wilson Palacios!

This is why we will remain the laughing stock of world football. We are just a mid table PL club, aiming to be a top 4 club but with the mentality of a League 2 club. We can lift ourselves against top teams but always struggle against bottom teams year in year out. Never thought we will lose at home to a shyte Villa team. We had such an excellent record against Villa that it looked impossible for us to lose. But Spurs will always be Spurs. After the clueless performance against Burnley, we put up another shyte performance and deserved to lose. This is really annoying as we were unbeaten against Villa in 13 previous games. Not sure why the team couldn't lift their performance. It was as if they are trying to help former manager Sherwood in his relegation battle with Villa.

Pochettino again has to take all the blame. His capabilities as a manager will come into question again as he couldn't inspire the team with the starting 11 and the subs. IMO, his main mistake is starting the weak midfield combination of Mason-Bentaleb again despite all their shortcomings in previous matches. Find it annoying that he didn't make any changes to our centre midfield despite getting outplayed by almost all the teams all the time. We badly needed a leader in midfield who could pull our midfield together and help us control the game. I really think Dembele and Stambouli could do that job together. Instead, the inexperienced Mason and Bentaleb makes to many silly mistakes and easily got outplayed by the Villa midfield.

After all the match winning goals by Kane and Eriksen before, suddenly our attack look toothless again. Now Kane looks like the old Kane who was clumsy and clueless in front of goal. Not sure if his England exploits have affected him but he doesn't look like the same player since playing for England. Or maybe being made captain has put him under too much pressure as he doesn't look like scoring now. He really should have scored the goal in the 2nd half when he shot the ball too high after creating the chance for himself. With him at 29 goals now, was feeling very confident he would reach the 35 goal mark. But now not so sure now. Similiarly, Eriksen looked lost and cluless in front of goal as well. Find it hard to believe that this is the same Eriksen who was getting our match winning goals earlier in the season. Annoyingly, despite playing at home against a shyte team, we hardly looked like scoring the whole match.

After getting that clean sheet against Burnley, it is annoying that our defence failed to keep another in this match. It is a pity that Lloris and Vertonghen were not fit to start. Our best defensive partnership should be Vertonghen and Fazio. But with Vorm, Fazio and Dier in defence, it was always going to be too risky for us. Fazio should have stopped Benteke from getting that header. But felt Vorm should have saved the header. Instead he was stupidly going the wrong way before realising the header was going the other way. Annoying that Vorm didn't make any attempt to save the header. But Vorm did make 1 good save later in the match but not convinced he is a capable replacement for Lloris.

After this humiliating defeat at home to a shyte team like Villa, not sure if Pochettino and the players even have the mentality to win any of the remaining matches. With us out of the top 4 race now, not sure they will be even bother about qualifying for EL which they don't seem to enjoy playing in.

Hmmmm I'm not sure 'running around a bit' is the solution to our problems. Lamela came on with fresh legs against a tired Villa so it's no surprise that he looked spritely in terms of his running. IIRC he still gave the ball away in a good position with an absolutely woeful first touch the first time he got the ball after coming on.
Ohhhhh!!! One bad touch! Well that would disqualify him for getting any sort of praise then.... There was two players who looked like they actually wanted to win, and showed some spirit and fight. Lamela was one, Rose was the other and he was by far our best player. Kane was invisible and Eriksen had some good moments, but in general he was weak. 3 shots from good positions ended up in row z. Awful!

Only a simpleton could think that Villa did anything to stop our game yesterday - we just had 10 players out there who gave up after the cup final.

Burnley looked far more threatening against us and they don't have half the quality that Villa have. This is just typical Spurs in self-destruct mode. Nothing to see here, move along.

Or else only someone with an obvious and crystal clear agenda would state that Villa, and their manager, did nothing right and won because we just sat down on the turf and let them have a shot into an empty goal.

well since going out of the EL and losing the league cup final, we have been playing once a week and tbh our football is getting worse and worse. Its like the players are being overworked on the training field and are bringing nothing to the matchday

really? then fcuk them all off then........with that attitude we are on the road to nowhere. Sell them all, sack Poch, i mean why not if anyway its just "typical Spurs in self-destruct mode".

It doesnt matter who manages, who plays, we are just a bunch of lillywhite losers and forever will be :)

Dembele has been the problem for the previous 2 years. He just doesn't move the ball quick enough and is incompatible with a team that wants to pass - he caused turgid.

The whole point of a system is that you create something that is greater than the sum of its parts, and can operate without any particular individuals. Do you think there were times in the late 60s that Rinus Michels said 'nah, sod it - 4-4-2 and pump in some long balls'. Systems take a while to implement, but if you deviate you are back at square one again (which is what we've been doing for decades)

i get that, but if there is a flaw in that system then there is a big problem if you doggedly stick to it.

Adebayor, Kaboul and Capoue have just disappeared off the planet and the man in charge made the first two captain and vice, there is something seriously wrong at our club, seriously lack motivation and just who is responsible for buying the turkeys?

Adebayor, Kaboul and Capoue have just disappeared off the planet and the man in charge made the first two captain and vice, there is something seriously wrong at our club, seriously lack motivation and just who is responsible for buying the turkeys?

Oh come on! I understand we are sore today but this is f******* ridiculous and pathetic. Both were the most senior players in the squad and there obviously was acceptance by the other players (I personally believe the rumours that many did not want Verts, who was the other option). I suspect he wanted to give Ade some responsibility, based on his performances under Sherwood. However when he saw the mistake, he immediately rectified it; this is the mark of a good manager.

I wonder how much of this is Poch getting a clear view on the squad.

We can't get 4th, so keep playing players and see how they react when thinks to wrong, see what they are really made of.

Include the players we know we cannot shift (Paulinho) to see what use they are.

Funny how people use losing the cup final as yet another excuse for how bad we are. I remember when our form plummeted under Ramos after the cup final WIN, people used winning the damn thing as an excuse too. Either way, win or lose, Poch defenders have a ready made excuse.

Back