• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

It is the most obvious explanation seeing as such an instrumental part of us getting to the champions league in the first place.

I can see people being a bit edgy about his pace, or lack of it, but I miss having a right back that can contribute to attacking play, I don't think anyone can debate that Charlie and Lennon was pretty fudging devestating. I miss having a right side that actually produces something.

Each to their own, but I don't miss seeing a fullback who made no attempt to block crosses, and lacked the foresight to track offensive runs when defending set-pieces. End of the day, if you're a fullback and you're not stopping balls coming in the box - then what are you doing out there? Likewise on set-pieces; you have to anticipate the offensive player will be attacking the ball, so why stand rooted to the spot knowing you're going to be beaten? No point being in the right position if, when you're there, you make such fudging basic errors. No room for laziness in a squad which wants to win.

You'll note, that none of that depends on whether you're quick or not. I don't really have a problem with his lack of pace, I have a problem with fullbacks not showing basic elements of defending; the fact he's slow as fudge just compounds him as a liability. I don't see this weird assumption that 'were Corluka here then...errr...we'd be in a much better position!' - No, far too simplistic and very much a rose-tinted view; I could just as easily claim that we'd be even more fudged and tinkling around in mid-table with him being there as an 'option'.

Each to their own, but I don't miss seeing a fullback who made no attempt to block crosses, and lacked the foresight to track offensive runs when defending set-pieces. End of the day, if you're a fullback and you're not stopping balls coming in the box - then what are you doing out there? Likewise on set-pieces; you have to anticipate the offensive player will be attacking the ball, so why stand rooted to the spot knowing you're going to be beaten? No point being in the right position if, when you're there, you make such fudging basic errors. No room for laziness in a squad which wants to win.

You'll note, that none of that depends on whether you're quick or not. I don't really have a problem with his lack of pace, I have a problem with fullbacks not showing basic elements of defending; the fact he's slow as fudge just compounds him as a liability. I don't see this weird assumption that 'were Corluka here then...errr...we'd be in a much better position!' - No, far too simplistic and very much a rose-tinted view; I could just as easily claim that we'd be even more fudged and tinkling around in mid-table with him being there as an 'option'.

This.

Corluka always stuck me as being selective in his effort when defending. He worked a great partnership with Lennon when in the oppositions half and could deliver some great crosses, but he'd often not close down crosses, and once beaten would rarely fight to retrieve the ball, not unlike another current fullback we have at the club on the opposite side.

Walker may not be the best defensively yet, but I never watch him thinking he's not giving his all even if he sometimes tries too hard.

I have no allegiance to either Corluka or Walker. I just want what's best for Spurs. In my view I have seen Walker make far more fundamental errors than Corluka did in his time. But Walker is young and his raw pace and athleticsm are very useful tools to have. Let's hope he learns a lot during his career and becomes a top full back.

Harry started Livermore ahead of him as right back in Europe when Corluka was fit.
You can see why he's not exactly happy with Redknapp.

id imagine if we have a new manager next season there is every chance he will still be here

There's a fee agreed with Leverkusen. He's basically already a Leverkusen player and he knows it. He would never have the made the comment otherwise.

Raphael Honigstein on the Corluka fee http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120201/transfer-deadline/
"An option to buy him in the summer for a (reportedly) very reasonable fee makes this a no-brainer that might turn out the envy of some of its rivals."

There's a fee agreed with Leverkusen. He's basically already a Leverkusen player and he knows it. He would never have the made the comment otherwise.

Raphael Honigstein on the Corluka fee http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120201/transfer-deadline/
"An option to buy him in the summer for a (reportedly) very reasonable fee makes this a no-brainer that might turn out the envy of some of its rivals."

All depends on who is our manager next summer. If it's Harry then I can't see him coming back. If it's Bilic for example then I'd be amazed if he doesn't.

I miss a full back that can actually defend. Corluka may have been slow, but his positioning was fantastic and the amount and quality of crosses (compared to what we've witnessed this season) coming in from the opposition left was vastly reduced when he played at RB.

Absolutely.

It's impossible not to like Walker, but the amount of times he gets turned is gobsmacking. Charlie can actually defend, as in not letting crosses in, not letting runners inside, covering the inside lane for the RCB, etc.

Saying he is "brick", well that's just laughable. Do people watch our games at all ?

It's not a case of either/or with Corluka and Walker, they should BOTH be here. What kind of imbecile gears up for the second half of a league campaign with only one right back?

Corluka could have covered left back and centre back as well. Both positions we're struggling in.

It's not a case of either/or with Corluka and Walker, they should BOTH be here. What kind of imbecile gears up for the second half of a league campaign with only one right back?

Corluka could have covered left back and centre back as well. Both positions we're struggling in.

The problem is Corluka didn't want to stay as he wasn't getting any game time. I guess the plan was to have Kaboul covering the right back slot if required.

As I don't believe in squad rotation, I can understand the situation. But I strongly disagree with Harry's choice. I think Walker is Ekotto mk2.

Either way and not matter his motivation, Corluka is spot on.

We don't have enough cover and key players are exhausted. No one actually watching our games can claim otherwise.

Good luck to Corluka at Leverkusen. They are a decent club.

The problem is Corluka didn't want to stay as he wasn't getting any game time. I guess the plan was to have Kaboul covering the right back slot if required.

As I don't believe in squad rotation, I can understand the situation. But I strongly disagree with Harry's choice. I think Walker is Ekotto mk2.

Thing is Pienaar didn't like being a backup, neither does Kranjcar, neither does Corluka... Harry should say tough sh*t. We need you here until we replace you.

I can assure you, unlike the Easter Bunny and Adebayors shooting boots, Squad rotation really does exist :lol:

What do you mean you don't believe in squad rotation? You mean if you were a manager you wouldn't do it, or that you don't believe anyone does it?

What do you mean you don't believe in squad rotation? You mean if you were a manager you wouldn't do it, or that you don't believe anyone does it?

I don't believe it should be done. I personally believe squad rotation shouldn't be forced and it should occurr naturally due to injuries, suspensions, players dropped for poor form etc. I am a great believer in playing a settled side, and rewarding form with a run in the side. Players will and do get tired, usually around this point of the season, but at that stage their form drops and therefore they should be replaced due to poor form, not because they are tired.

I also believe that most tiredness is mental fatigue, rather than physical fatigue. Physical fatigue is easily cured simply by giving a player a week off from training for example. Mental fatigue can only be cured by a prologned period of rest from not only not playing games, but also not training. E.g. their summer break.

I don't believe it should be done. I personally believe squad rotation shouldn't be forced and it should occurr naturally due to injuries, suspensions, players dropped for poor form etc. I am a great believer in playing a settled side, and rewarding form with a run in the side. Players will and do get tired, usually around this point of the season, but at that stage their form drops and therefore they should be replaced due to poor form, not because they are tired.

I also believe that most tiredness is mental fatigue, rather than physical fatigue. Physical fatigue is easily cured simply by giving a player a week off from training for example. Mental fatigue can only be cured by a prologned period of rest from not only not playing games, but also not training. E.g. their summer break.

I agree on the mental fatigue side, but I reckon that weeks rest your advocating for physical tiredness would go some way to healing the mental side as well. The monotony of going in for training every day could really take it's toll over a season I could imagine. I'd be all over the mental side of players fitness if I was a manager, for me, psycology plays a HUGE part in sport, you just have to look at our up and down form this season to see that.

Back