• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory Podcast

Squad Review
Series 4 Episode 51

Milo, Steff, and Ricky run the rule on the squad we have, who stays, who goes, what we need, and amidst all of this ruthless pruning, Milo serves up every fact you need to know in order to play along and make YOUR decisions. We're all DoFs at heart!

GPIKP0nWIAA7rkJ.jpeg

Is There Too Much Football?
Series 4 Episode 52

Steff, Milo, and Gareth tackle the topic of whether there’s too much football or not and what the related realities, implications and potential solutions are. We also look back at what has been a busy week in the Spurs world, as well as advocate for nipple awareness in the world of replica shirts.

GPsS5mGWMAA9kQU.jpeg

Another good pod chaps, very nice work.
Nowadays players cannot play 90 so often, so they play 60 and get subbed... eventually they burn out and get too injured to play and sit out for a few months. E.g. You can see Bellingham running himself into a standstill and picking up injuries.

The healthier way forwards and the way we are going, maybe sooner or maybe in 10 years' time, each top team could need to replace the whole team at 45 i.e. play one team for 45 then wheel on another team for 45 so players are never drained into the red zone.

Suggestion - you could do a pod on Ange's staff and the Academy Staff when the Soton Chapman Chap and others arrive shortly. Detail the whole structure from Levy Munn Lange Ange etc.

Suggestion - you could do a pod on Ange's staff and the Academy Staff when the Soton Chapman Chap and others arrive shortly. Detail the whole structure from Levy Munn Lange Ange etc.

Cheers. I like that suggestion. We covered it a fair bit when Davies, Scoulding and Steinsson joined but quite a lot has changed since then.

Top Of The Flops
Series 4 Episode 53

Steff and Milo discuss six Tottenham transfers that didn’t work out; Tanguy Ndombele, Roberto Soldado, Sergiy Rebrov, David Bentley, Paulinho, and Helder Postiga. Is it fair to label them ‘flops’? Are all transfers a gamble? Were there mitigating reasons why these transfers didn’t work out? All this and the latest news and transfer rumours.

GQQNAOgW8AA-32a.jpeg

A good review and reminder of some of our previous big hopes that all sadly didn't cut it for the reasons you explain. Enjoyed listening.

I'm personally a bit harsher on Bentley - while he has explained some of his mental health issues which even in 2008/9 would not have been as understood that they are today - i think he was just a bit of a pratt and I suspect quite difficult to manage.

The other big factor with Bentley was that he had risen to prominence at Blackburn as a right midfielder (hence the Beckham comparisons you correctly reminded us of) who operated in an orthodox 4-4-2 - but we were blessed with Aaron Lennon in the same position - it was just an unnecessary position to spend a lot of money for and then there was the turmoil of losing both Keane and Berbatov that summer and not replacing them. Who knows what Ramos' plans were but they very quickly unraveled.

Great point about Postiga being bought off the back of a hot streak for Porto. Like Bentley he arrived in a summer window that was very erratic. We had a complete overhaul of strikers in 2003 - Ferdinand and Iversen had left the previous season and then Teddy was released as well in the summer leaving just Robbie Keane . Our scattergun approach to strikers in summer 2003 saw us sign Postiga, Zamora and Kanoute - it just felt as though the plan was to buy some strikers and see what happens. Hoddle then lasted just 6 games and then we swapped Defoe for Zamora in the next window.

I remember the summer of 2003, Spurs and United were trying to buy these Portuguese teenage wunderkids.
Spurs were very proud to bag Postiga.
United were very proud to bag Ronaldo, but did they overpay??? Twice as much for that teenager... surely Postiga would represent better value, right?? Right????

On 25 June 2003, Postiga moved to Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur for £6.25 million (€9 million), a fee that could have risen to £8.36 million

Manchester United's Alex Ferguson signed Ronaldo for £12 million on 12 August 2003, an England record for a teenager

A good review and reminder of some of our previous big hopes that all sadly didn't cut it for the reasons you explain. Enjoyed listening.

I'm personally a bit harsher on Bentley - while he has explained some of his mental health issues which even in 2008/9 would not have been as understood that they are today - i think he was just a bit of a pratt and I suspect quite difficult to manage.

The other big factor with Bentley was that he had risen to prominence at Blackburn as a right midfielder (hence the Beckham comparisons you correctly reminded us of) who operated in an orthodox 4-4-2 - but we were blessed with Aaron Lennon in the same position - it was just an unnecessary position to spend a lot of money for and then there was the turmoil of losing both Keane and Berbatov that summer and not replacing them. Who knows what Ramos' plans were but they very quickly unraveled.

Great point about Postiga being bought off the back of a hot streak for Porto. Like Bentley he arrived in a summer window that was very erratic. We had a complete overhaul of strikers in 2003 - Ferdinand and Iversen had left the previous season and then Teddy was released as well in the summer leaving just Robbie Keane . Our scattergun approach to strikers in summer 2003 saw us sign Postiga, Zamora and Kanoute - it just felt as though the plan was to buy some strikers and see what happens. Hoddle then lasted just 6 games and then we swapped Defoe for Zamora in the next window.
This cannot be overrated. Over 50 goals gone.

Who Is Running Spurs Transfer Window?
Series 4 Episode 54

Milo and Steff get into how the structure of our backroom staff has changed and what it means for transfer activities, we’ll take a peek at the Euros so far, and report back on the week that was for N17 related news.

GQ0Q9fjXwAEnjSP.jpeg

I still dislike Robbie Keane over this. If he had stayed he could have been a Spurs legend, but the fact he jumped ship makes me more than ambivalent, I just don't like the man. Despite what he did for us, I don't like the man.

I was heart-broken and couldn't believe it. That he came back so quickly partially made up for it, but yes, I never quite saw him in the same light again.

Who Is Running Spurs Transfer Window?
Series 4 Episode 54

Milo and Steff get into how the structure of our backroom staff has changed and what it means for transfer activities, we’ll take a peek at the Euros so far, and report back on the week that was for N17 related news.

View attachment 17304
Cheers Milo, interesting pod as usual.
I actually need an organogram to keep track of all the people involved, makes your head spin trying to remember who is who.

Back