• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best film of the 80s - Planes, Trains and Automobiles v the Empire Strikes Back

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Directed by John Hughes
Produced by John Hughes
Written by John Hughes
Starring Steve Martin and John Candy

V

The Empire Strikes Back

Directed by Irvin Kershner
Produced by Gary Kurtz
Screenplay by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan
Story by George Lucas
Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew and Frank Oz

Never saw that there movie about them vehicles, but I've disliked Steve Martin ever since he molested the Pink Panther.

Star Wars dislike, I do.

No vote.
+ 0.5 (in that I also can't be doing with Steve Martin).

ESB is great though you tacos.

The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite of the Star Wars films and has by far my favorite Star Wars scene:

But I voted for Planes, Trains & Automobiles because it is my favorite John Candy movie.

I have a problem with the Empire Strikes Back and my problem is "No, I am your father". It turns an intagalactic space romp into a family spat that dominates all of the subsequent films. It's lazy writing and happens far too much. See also Bond/Blofeld in Spectre.

I have a problem with the Empire Strikes Back and my problem is "No, I am your father". It turns an intagalactic space romp into a family spat that dominates all of the subsequent films. It's lazy writing and happens far too much. See also Bond/Blofeld in Spectre.

Blofeld is Bond's father?? Wow. I didn't pick up on that.

but if you take that away none of it works, Obi Wan isn't watching over Luke, who if he's just some guy, with the force or not, isn't on the planet Leia sends the droids to

Luke's struggle is to not repeat his fathers failure

I voted for Planes, Trains & Automobiles because it is my favorite John Candy movie.

What could it be like to have a favourite John Candy movie? To spend a weekend hunkered down with DVDs of Uncle Buck and Cool Runnings, freeze-framing the moments that best encapsulate Candy's lardy joviality?

Back