• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stick your player ratings to the mast

Very interesting thread and how some players split the crowd so far: (More than 2 votes)

Dembele O: 6 U:0 net -6
Townsend O: 5 U: 0 net -5
Paulinho O: 5 U: 1 net -4
Rose O: 5 U: 1 net -4
Lamela O: 4 U: 1 net -3
Soldado O: 5 U: 3 net -2
Lennon O: 4 U: 2 net -2
Bentaleb O; 2 U: 1 net -1
Dawson O: 3 U: 4 net +1
Siggy O: 1 U: 2 net +1
Ade O:0 U: 3 net +3
Sandro O: 3 U: 0 net +3
Walker O: 1 U: 5 net +4

I don't see how anyone can underrate Soldado personally as he has been complete ****e so far but to each his own

Overated
Vertoghen - on form our best defender but for me he has not been as good this season as last. Too many mistakes and not showing enough leadership. Playing at LB exposes his weaknesses badly which has not helped.
Lloris - World class on his day but way too many bad decisions this season for my liking.
Lennon - Just has to do more for me. He needs to make it happen on the pitch rather than getting frustrated if the game is not going to his liking.

You might think I am being harsh but these three are trading a little on past exploits IMO, and as such I see them as overrated. They should be playing better than their current form.

Underated
Dembele - Better forward or sitting deep? Deep for me as his decision making in the final 3rd is not great. Too many touches and all that. However what he adds in terms of ball retention and stability compensates. He's no world beater but gets an unfair time on here I think.
Walker - slowly turning opinion around but still gets a rough time on here which is unwarranted IMO
Soldado - I've put him in here as most people have written him off really. I still think he can turn it around and shoot us to CL glory. Wishful thinking maybe.

Who are we comparing to? Like take Chiriches for example, I think he's massively underated on here but everywhere else I think he's rated accurately, so am I going by what other gg posters think or everywhere else.

I won't go into everybody in the squad, but suffice it to say, I have quite a few differing opinions.

Underrated:

Paulinho:
So many are going to be wrong about Paulinho, I can't even tell you. Yes, he's had a stop-start season, thanks to a freak red-card and an awful challenge from Adam, but he's an absolutely fantastic player. I love to watch the Brazilian National Team, where he is one of the absolute first names on the teamsheet. Though I think he's done pretty well in his first season in England, I just don't think he's quite been utilized right by either Sherwood or AVB. He is best when he is the THIRD in an midfield three, with one creative player and one classic holder.

He is a classic box-to-box midfielder or "runner" who will make a lot of late runs into the box, but will also track back. Often under AVB, he was the furthest player forward, besides Soldado, and he's just not that creative of a player to play that role. I think if you saw him in a 3-man midfield with Sandro behind and Eriksen alongside, he would be at his best. That said, I still think he's been pretty good, and is generally playing at about a 6 or 7 with the odd very good game or the odd poor game (like vs Everton).

We haven't seen the best of Paulinho, but I have absolutely no doubt he will come good for us, and comparing him to Jenas is insane. In my opinion, he's one of the five most talented, valuable players at the club, and I am much more worried about losing him to a bigger club in a couple years than him not being a success.

Soldado:
I think Soldado's overall play has been underrated. Yes, he's struggled in front of goal, but he offers a lot to our overal build-up play. He is one of the leading chance creators on our team (more than Lennon or Townsend, for example), and he often makes the pass before the assist. Look back at his performance at Old Trafford, for example. Yes, he must score more goals, but I'm not quite hitting the panic button on his signing yet. I don't think we've seen the best of him, but those clamoring for Kane or Defoe are insane.

Lamela:
Erik Lamela is incredibly talented, but he hasn't had the rub of the green yet. AVB didn't seem to want to sign him in the first place, and he's been injured since. Think he has a massive future at the club, and I look forward to him tearing up the league in future seasons.

Walker:
I think he's been absolutely excellent this season. Doesn't seem like the brightest player, but he's tireless, strong, and creates a hell of a lot of chances. Much better than the wingers who have played in front of him this season.

Capoue:
Hope he can stay with us, I think he's a very impressive player.

Properly Rated:

Adebayor, Vertonghen, Lloris, Eriksen, Sandro (when fit)
I think they are very, very, very good players, and it seems like most agree. Our core, IMO.

Bentaleb, Rose, Chiriches, Townsend, Holtby
I think, like most, they are all good young players, who have some issues, but have bright futures.

Underrated:
Lennon
Chadli

Overrated:
Walker
Dembele

Do you think Lennon is underrated in general, or he's been underrated this season? I think he's probably underrated in general, but I think he's really, really struggled recently.

Walker flatters to deceive. When he gets through a game without a major stuff up people think he has had a good game. When the crucial moments in big games come around he will let the side down. He does not have the mentality required. How come the Everton fullbacks were able to block crosses, but Walker couldnt? Dont get me started on his crosses. Did he beat the first man with a single one? Had to laugh when Walker siddled up to take a free kick. Sorry Kyle, I dont think so.

Dembele rarely makes a telling contribution towards a positive result. Looks great , but meh. Very lazy too and ambles around the pitch.

Paulhino lacks guts, which is a suprise given that he is a big lad. I'm shocked that our scouts did not pick this up.

I think an argument can be made that walker is now our best player, if you offered Chelsea/City/Arsenal their pick from our squad, I can't see any of them taking anyone else, same for Liverpool.

Walker flatters to deceive. When he gets through a game without a major stuff up people think he has had a good game. When the crucial moments in big games come around he will let the side down. He does not have the mentality required. How come the Everton fullbacks were able to block crosses, but Walker couldnt? Dont get me started on his crosses. Did he beat the first man with a single one? Had to laugh when Walker siddled up to take a free kick. Sorry Kyle, I dont think so.

Dembele rarely makes a telling contribution towards a positive result. Looks great , but meh. Very lazy too and ambles around the pitch.

Paulhino lacks guts, which is a suprise given that he is a big lad. I'm shocked that our scouts did not pick this up.

You don't like him, do you? How about his ball to Ade for the goal that won the match?

What does this mean? The guy is the beating heart of the Brazilian National Team and an absolute horse in the middle of the park. He's still getting back to fitness after recovering from a heavy challenge, FFS. You can doubt his touch at times and his passing isn't always great, but saying he lacks guts is simply idiotic.

[/B]

What does this mean? The guy is the beating heart of the Brazilian National Team and an absolute horse in the middle of the park. He's still getting back to fitness after recovering from a heavy challenge, FFS. You can doubt his touch at times and his passing isn't always great, but saying he lacks guts is simply idiotic.

What does it mean? it means what it says. Watch him shirk 50-50 balls, watch him jump over tackles.

You don't like him, do you? How about his ball to Ade for the goal that won the match?

That was a good moment, hardly challenging though was it? This thread is about the season as a whole, not one moment in a match. What about his inability to prevent Everton getting crosses in? What about his inability to get a single cross in? Must agree though, he hasnt made a catostrophic blunder in a while. That must make him a candidate for our player of the year.:ross:

That was a good moment, hardly challenging though was it? This thread is about the season as a whole, not one moment in a match. What about his inability to prevent Everton getting crosses in? What about his inability to get a single cross in? Must agree though, he hasnt made a catostrophic blunder in a while. That must make him a candidate for our player of the year.:ross:

I think he's in with shout if I was perfectly honest.

I know you don't rate the guy so I won't bother trying to change your mind, but it was a good ball and some quick thinking which won us the match. I agree that his crossing is poor though, as is Rose's.

[/B]

The guy is the beating heart of the Brazilian National Team and an absolute horse in the middle of the park.

Luis Gustavo is a much more likely candidate for that. Also IMO out of the current starting 11 except the lead forward role where they cannot make up there mind, the most likely to lose his place in the side is Paulinho.

I have 3 players in mind but one player shouldn't even be at the club and so therefore it is a bit unfair on the other two who probably need a bit of time to prove their ability.

Overrated: Paulinho, Chadli and Naughton

Kyle Naughton shouldn't be anywhere near this club as a first team player. He has no attribute that is outstanding by comparison to numerous full backs who play week in week out at a decent level. Weak, ridiculously one footed, brain dead in a football sense, naive are just some of the caps that fully fit. We would literally be better off playing with 10 men if it meant the alternative was having to play this imposter. I feel we should sue Sheffield Utd for false representation.

Chadli and Paulinho have been disappointing although Chadli would be more so for me. For a big guy he looks like he doesn't fancy any sort of physical battle and looks ridiculously bad in the air. Paulinho seems to be going through the motions at times although it might be just that first season feeling and just getting used to the game here.

Underrated: Lennon, Kaboul and Dembele

Lennon is a big miss when he isn't playing for my mind. I understand the argument regarding his final ball at times and scoring output but he stretches teams if he is used correctly. Unfortunately he has another brain dead member of the squad behind him who doesn't give the ball quickly enough or often enough and therefore isolates Lennon on a regular basis. His relationship with and form during the time we had Corluka at the back was superb and an indicator of just how good and important Lennon is to us as an outlet.

Kaboul, I am sure is still reasonably rated but I feel with his injury issues that he has been somewhat written off by a portion of the fanbase. Always needs a run of games to look like he has ironed out any mad errors but once in the team on a run, he is an outstanding defender. My player of the year in 2011-2012 and had a very good 2010-2011 too. Vertonghen and Kaboul as a regular CB pairing would be up there with the best in the league if it was given time to grow.

Dembele is frustrating and mercurial in equal measure but I do feel we are a poorer, more predictable side when he isn't playing. He does need to let his feet go more, a lot more passes after an initial beating of a man but he needs better movement around him to open those passes up as a possibility. Needs to score more over the course of a season too but overral, I think a very important player for us.

Overrated:

Lennon - doesn't contribute enough in the area he is supposed to.
Dembele - could be amazing, but doesn't seem to have the mental aptitude to go with his physical prowess. If he had quick thinking he'd be able to make the most of the situations he gets himself into.
Eriksen - he could be great, has the potential, but he hasn't yet begun to show it..

Underrated

Walker - possibly the most consistent player in our squad.
Adebayor - there is a good player in there, yet some are coloured against him no matter what he does.
Siggy - has done well whenever he's been played centrally, would profit from a decent spell there, is not suited to the wing.

Back