• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

One was on the team bus, and one was a personal interview.

So hopefully both will be charged, just one by the fa, the other by FIFA

Both were released for international duty and being paid by fifa/their national associations at the time.

Not saying that bentancur shouldn't be punished. But if a club has to release a player for international duty for a period of time. Then during that time they are on international duty. It should be consistent.

All nations have differing cultural and historical backgrounds and their views may not be the same as ours, judging them is a form of colonialism. If we start getting rid of players who do things we disagree with we'll be playing in the National League South.

All nations have differing cultural and historical backgrounds and their views may not be the same as ours, judging them is a form of colonialism. If we start getting rid of players who do things we disagree with we'll be playing in the National League South.

It's English people who call Son a cat eater at every away game.

He has spent 7 years living in Europe. He should know better. There is no excuse for what he said.

It is infuriating though that two different organisations are going to judge two different players for similar offences and will no doubt come up with totally different punishments. I have little faith in our FA but even less if that’s possible in FIFA.

He has spent 7 years living in Europe. He should know better. There is no excuse for what he said.

It is infuriating though that two different organisations are going to judge two different players for similar offences and will no doubt come up with totally different punishments. I have little faith in our FA but even less if that’s possible in FIFA.
I’m with you
There is no excuse

I’m with you
There is no excuse
There is no excuse, but the matter was dealt with, both by the club and between the players. This strikes me as some sort of performative exercise. If the FA really want to be serious when it comes to racism, then a few weeks with lip-readers and subsequent fines/warnings/education programs would be far more effective. I think if you ask many black and Asian players, they will tell you that whilst welcome advances have indeed been made, there is still an awful lot happening every single day on training grounds and at matches which goes unpunished. I can guarantee that banning Bentancur for 6 to 12 matches will not achieve anything beyond resentment and a wave of counter-commentaries, especially nearly two months after the action which took place off-season.

I heard comments that suggested some feel the club 'pressured' Sonny into accepting an apology. I personally found that an insult to Sonny, suggesting that he would sacrifice any hurt he felt for the club. I took what Sonny said at the time at face value, and always found it irritating that some felt they had a better handle on the whole situation than people who work together every single day for many months of a season.

I suppose it comes down to whether you believe Bentancur is a foolish young man who cracked a stupid, rude mistake and suddenly realized what an absolute oafish arse he'd been, or whether you think he's a John Terry, of whom there have been several accounts of aggressive racism. I think Bentancur is firmly the former.

(Just to clarify, I'm not condoning what was said whatsoever, but there is clear dialectic here...it was wrong and it does not need further investigation given the context of the situation)...

Last edited:
There is no excuse, but the matter was dealt with, both by the club and between the players. This strikes me as some sort of performative exercise. If the FA really want to be serious when it comes to racism, then a few weeks with lip-readers and subsequent fines/warnings/education programs would be far more effective. I think if you ask many black and Asian players, they will tell you that whilst welcome advances have indeed been made, there is still an awful lot happening every single day on training grounds and at matches which goes unpunished. I can guarantee that banning Bentancur for 6 to 12 matches will not achieve anything beyond resentment and a wave of counter-commentaries, especially nearly two months after the action which took place off-season.
(Just to clarify, I'm not condoning what was said whatsoever, but there is clear dialectic here...it was wrong and it does not need further investigation given the context of the situation)...
I think we need more examples of players being dealt with for ALL misdemeanours
Swearing at refs would be a good one too

One was on the team bus, and one was a personal interview.

So hopefully both will be charged, just one by the fa, the other by FIFA

The biggest issue we will have is that the racism which absolutely exists in dressing rooms, academies and our game will be driven deeper and deeper underground (like it was for decades prior to the last 10 years). I also think both incidents are different. One was a stupid joke from a foolish man who it appears has absolutely accepted his ignorance and is partaking of further racial sensitivity training (according to the club statement a couple of months back). The other was a premeditated song which has previous and which was posted unapologetically (and without apology since it should be noted).

The most powerful thing the FA could do is tell Bentancur to do a series of interviews discussing his situation, what he said, how he felt, and what he has learnt from the situation. Eductational. Maybe Bentancur and Sonny both could do it. Instead the FA will slam down a massive charge, no discussion or analysis beyond surface will be had, and nothing will change.

It's no excuse just a fact that the world is made up of people with different views, muslims don't drink alcohol does that make people who do evil? Nations will change at their own pace, simply trying to judge them and painting them as villians because we don't agree is colonialism. It appears other peoples culture is only acceptable if we like it. I feel sure what he said was not meant to be offensive and he regrets it, he's just a product of his upbringing.

Back