• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Repetitive bickering and point scoring about money and our transfer policy

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

I think United have been severly short changed under the Glazers and thought it was ridiculous that anyone in football is sticking up for the Glazers.
They have taken 550m out of the club during a period when their net transfer spend is just under 90m.

Exactly.

If Utd had spent that money on players, chances are that they would have won more than one Champions League over the past 8 years.

You must have forgotten where you are :-"

Don't let it hit your arse on the way out eh.

tumblr_mda7pgNa5x1ro8fw8o1_400.jpg

I think we can agree to disagree. Levy has done some good things, dont get me wrong but I just think we dont make it easy for ourselves not buying earlier in the summer and not improving with a striker in January.

He has had lows with manager but Ramos was a good idea, he had done a great job at Sevilla.

For me getting Redknapp was the best thing he ever did and getting AVB was probably a good move. Time will tell.

I am just frustated that we're not far away form something big, and that I feel if he pushed a bit more in the market in the right positions then we'd be going for titles.

Again I am not asking for Falcao or Cavani, just a bit more sence in the transfer market. An example, we're struggling with width while townsend is gone on loan, well that could be AVB's decision for sure, but then you have to give him the money to get someone else.

We got Holtby, who hasnt been great so far (Sorry optimistics, he aint a world beater) because he was cheap. But sometimes you can throw an extra 5million and get CL football at the end.

Levy got the new trainning ground, very nice, but that doesnt bring world class players, it might bring kids who will turn world beaters yes. Thats a possibilty and needs to be proved.

I dont blame Levy for not getting Moutinho, that was a lot of money and we dont know the full story but I blame him for that squad in the first three games of the season. We were simply not ready. And it was the same the season before that.

Hes clearly still learning in the transfer market as we use to throw money away on terrible players.

In the end im just frustated that with a bit more experience/cleverness we could be REALLY a top team.

Tottenham and United have had pretty much the same net spend over the last 8 years. Yet Levy hasn't backed his Manager and Glazier has?

Can we stop this brick please .. net spend, and spend without including wages is a complete flimflam statistic.

In the last 8 years Manure sold the most expensive player in the world, that alone should skew any "net spend" numbers. Time and time again, people try to make out that Tottenham spends something close to Manure/Cheat$ki/Scum/Pool/etc. and time and time again, if you look at wages, it's not even remotely close.

Spurs spend is usually closer to 7th in the league (Sky 4, Barcodes, Pool and often one other stupid side, probably QPR this year, spend more)

Can we stop this brick please .. net spend, and spend without including wages is a complete flimflam statistic.

In the last 8 years Manure sold the most expensive player in the world, that alone should skew any "net spend" numbers. Time and time again, people try to make out that Tottenham spends something close to Manure/Cheat$ki/Scum/Pool/etc. and time and time again, if you look at wages, it's not even remotely close.

Spurs spend is usually closer to 7th in the league (Sky 4, Barcodes, Pool and often one other stupid side, probably QPR this year, spend more)

In a conversation in which people are complaining about Levy not spending and reckoning the Glazers have done alright at United, its a valid point to compare what United have spend in those 8 years under Glazer and what Levy has spend in the same time and show they're talking through their arses.

So everything is down to this transitional season you seem to have constructed? AVB lost 1 key player and the other one he pretty much told he'd be a squad player anyway. All other incoming player were imrpovements - as opposed to selling a 50 goal/season strike partnership. Or in other words - the two scenarios as incomparable

Ancelotti achieved his objectives in his first transitional season in charge - is it unfrai to expect similar from AVB?

Be serious.

He lost the heartbeat of the side for the previous three seasons! And with VdV he lost a player who imposed himself massively on the squad! Two massive losses for differing reasons.
He then lost one of his first choice CBs for the whole season, he then lost one of his new midfielders for a good month, he didn't have another of his available experienced CMs available for half a season and he also lost BAE for half a season. Add to this the fact he didn't have Lloris, was not given Moutinho and did get one of the strikers he primarily wanted and I think it's fair to say he came into something which looked much better than it was! He was further saddled with dead-wood which took up squad space and wages! So not only has he done exceptionally WELL all told, he has done something no other manager has been able to in recent years by shifting 'most' of the deadwood! He has made mistakes but he has equally had one helluva job to do...

Be serious.

He lost the heartbeat of the side for the previous three seasons! And with VdV he lost a player who imposed himself massively on the squad! Two massive losses for differing reasons.
He then lost one of his first choice CBs for the whole season, he then lost one of his new midfielders for a good month, he didn't have another of his available experienced CMs available for half a season and he also lost BAE for half a season. Add to this the fact he didn't have Lloris, was not given Moutinho and did get one of the strikers he primarily wanted and I think it's fair to say he came into something which looked much better than it was! He was further saddled with dead-wood which took up squad space and wages! So not only has he done exceptionally WELL all told, he has done something no other manager has been able to in recent years by shifting 'most' of the deadwood! He has made mistakes but he has equally had one helluva job to do...

Every single team deals with injuries - not sure that point even forms part of the argument here, which is one based around 'losing key players in the summer'

He did have Lloris but chose not to play him due to some sentimental stubbornness or whatever reason - and something which I believe cost us the EL later on. That is my main issue with him this season, everything else has shown signs of potential so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in his first season, well deserved, eventhough our football has mostly been average at best.

Going back to comparing Keane/Berba's loss to last summer - Modric was a key player, VdV was another under Arry which AVB apparently didn't see as such (not in so many words). We also replaced them immediately -like-for-like with potentially very good players while back then we got Pav. So no, I don't think the two season are in equal measure in terms of transition

Last edited:

My point is there is always something... Why cant we finish above Arsenal? Is that impossible?

I dont care if its a transition season, because next one might be aswell, if Bale goes, it will be the season after bale leaves so a transitional season.

I agree. We ALWAYS have an excuse and some fans are more then happy to cling to that and convince themselves that everything is ok.

All this transitional gonads annoys me. Over the years Arsenal lose great players like Bergkamp, Henry and Viera and still always make the top 4, they lose Fabregas and still make the top 4, they lose RVP and still (probably) make the top 4. Instead we moan and groan and use the "poor us" routine time and time again. City, Arsenal and Chelsea have all been mediocre this season but still its us who look like missing out. Its ALWAYS us.

Can I put this out there? I believe the midfield and attack we had under Jol in his second season, save Bale as he's more of a striker now and Sandro as he's out long term, where much better than this midfield we have at present now. AVB is working wonder's with limited assets at his disposal. We have an injured Dembele, a Past it Parker, an unfit Hudd and Sig and Holtby who are still young. Up front we have Bale who is immense, but 3 we have now I would definitely swap for Keane, Mido and Kanoute of yesteryear.

Lets face it, our team isn't good enough and we lack "Tottenham Players" like Krancjar, VDV and Modric. We have players now save Dembele with Distinctly average football technique and intelligence, so it's no wonder we cannot string passes together. Levy must take a lot of the blame for failure to replace the above.

Every single team deals with injuries - not sure that point even forms part of the argument here, which is one based around 'losing key players in the summer'

He did have Lloris but chose not to play him due to some sentimental stubbornness or whatever reason - and something which I believe cost us the EL later on. That is my main issue with him this season, everything else has shown signs of potential so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in his first season, well deserved, eventhough our football has mostly been average at best.

Going back to comparing Keane/Berba's loss to last summer - Modric was a key player, VdV was another under Arry which AVB apparently didn't see as such (not in so many words). We also replaced them immediately -like-for-like with potentially very good players while back then we got Pav. So no, I don't think the two season are in equal measure in terms of transition

If we're discussing 'losing key players in the summer' I'd class injuries which take layers away from you as precisely that for a new manager. All in the definition I suppose.

The Lloris situation was tricky and I suspect he did not want to do what he did @ Chelski and axe a popular elder in the side immediately (even though I believe Friedel cost us points in 2 or 3 games, vital ones). Brad was a very good goalie and I think he did the smart thing letting Lloris acclimatize. With regards to VdV, again, much debate to be had but I'd wager he'd have had a hard time playing for the team per se, and Modric was absolutely not replaced whatsoever. Interested to now who you think is a 'like-for-like' there.

With regards to Berba & Keane leaving, I have often expressed my sympathy for Ramos who not only lost 44 goals in 4 weeks but also fell upon personal problems, as well as an 'ambitious' Poyet!!!!

Ancelotti achieved his objectives in his first season - I don't think it is unreasonable to expect AVB to achieve his
This is total rubbish? For one Ancellotti has practically a blank chequebook, plus what is their competition? Lyon? Come on!

Any 'objective' that had as a base requirement for AVB to finish top-4 ahead of four clubs that are richer, already have better squads and have more stability in terms of personnel is unfair.

Also you are forgetting Levy left him to start the season without most of the transfer business done, the Modric situation unresolved and one senior striker in the squad. You think we'd have lost to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and drawn those two home games with a proper settled pre season?

It might be a 'stretch' objective but I think AVB has done well enough to fend off eveton and to a lesser extent Liverpool. Top 5 is a great season in the circumstances and unlike under the last management team we arrested our wobble and have had a second half season collapse, our points collection has been very consistent throughout and we've developed a hard mental attitude to score many late goals - we have made progress with a worse squad by far than we had last season

Can I put this out there? I believe the midfield and attack we had under Jol in his second season, save Bale as he's more of a striker now and Sandro as he's out long term, where much better than this midfield we have at present now. AVB is working wonder's with limited assets at his disposal. We have an injured Dembele, a Past it Parker, an unfit Hudd and Sig and Holtby who are still young. Up front we have Bale who is immense, but 3 we have now I would definitely swap for Keane, Mido and Kanoute of yesteryear.

Lets face it, our team isn't good enough and we lack "Tottenham Players" like Krancjar, VDV and Modric. We have players now save Dembele with Distinctly average football technique and intelligence, so it's no wonder we cannot string passes together. Levy must take a lot of the blame for failure to replace the above.

its a matter of perspective.....even if we had an injured dembele, which in all honesty i put a large proportion of that down to AVB playing him and lennon into injuries and bringing them back too early. its also down to AVB in conjunction with Levy to make sure that injuries to these players dont hamper us too much ..or that we have a different playing style to ease their ommision.

ALL teams get injuries , its factored into the season.....its when you have injuries to loads of key contributors that you can then point to injuries as an issue. which to AVB#s credit he has in fact had to deal with. lennon, defoe, kaboul, sandro, dembele, bale, and others

then Thudd being unfit...i'm not sure where people get this one from.......why is he unfit exactly? he seems just as mobile now as he was back in the day...and if he is physically unfit..why is that under the current coaching team?

parker isnt past it at all, not in 4 months. no way. he is fine...i just think he current coach is giving him license to operate more as a general rather than making him keep things simple like under harry. the stark difference between what parker did for us last year to this year is vivd enough to see that something has changed in his thought process when approaching his duties in game

sig an holtby are indeed young and they are indeed squad players, allowances can be made for having to rely heavily on those two. its isnt fair on them, they arent here to carry us on their shoulders to make CL. they are here though to support those that do. and i think that they are going about it well. i expect more from sig though

i dont agree that we are not good enough. we are plenty good enough, we just are erratic and we dont have a good reliable playing style. i dont understand how people can claim we are not good enough, especially when they look at our personell. i posed a question in the past ...would wenger and SAF or mourinho be able to get us top 4 with our current squad? hell yeah!!! but thats not a fault of AVB though, its not fair to compare him to these people that have more financial power and more prestige in recent years. but the examples are used to show that we have more than enough talent to be good enough for top 4.

levy must take the praise for making us a perennial power house in the league year after year. ever thought of that? not if you actually want to blame levy then no you probably wouldnt think of it. but quite frankly levy has put us in an organic and systematic cycle of relative success year after year...keeping up with the teams that average 40 million plus in spending EVERY off season...and even keep us in striking distance of those that spend about a billion in a 4 years stretch. so what if levy is also self aware that he needs to keep an eye on the business of things....its not like he has monopoly money. it isnt our money which is why we find it easy to blame the guy that doesnt want to take part in the current spending craze . we re in a recession in case people forget

This is total rubbish? For one Ancellotti has practically a blank chequebook, plus what is their competition? Lyon? Come on!

Any 'objective' that had as a base requirement for AVB to finish top-4 ahead of four clubs that are richer, already have better squads and have more stability in terms of personnel is unfair.

Also you are forgetting Levy left him to start the season without most of the transfer business done, the Modric situation unresolved and one senior striker in the squad. You think we'd have lost to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and drawn those two home games with a proper settled pre season?

It might be a 'stretch' objective but I think AVB has done well enough to fend off eveton and to a lesser extent Liverpool. Top 5 is a great season in the circumstances and unlike under the last management team we arrested our wobble and have had a second half season collapse, our points collection has been very consistent throughout and we've developed a hard mental attitude to score many late goals - we have made progress with a worse squad by far than we had last season

how do you know the result wouldn't have been the same?

agree that top 5 is definately a successful season. infact i think thats our level for the foreseeable future with which we should be happy with

agree that top 5 is definately a successful season. infact i think thats our level for the foreseeable future with which we should be happy with
Well I don't know for sure but I think the likelihood would be that we'd have got at least 3 more points out of those games which would be enough to finish above arsenal even losing at Chelsea if we win our last 2 games

Correct, and there not a lot to add.

Our attacking players apart from Bale are just not good enough, all of them. No technique, no control.

Siggy, Dempsey, Lennon, Holtby(So far) Just not good enough footballers. Why are they here playing, I dont know.

Our squad is just too poor, no good players on the bench.

We need quality, proper footballers.

Happy with 5th? with bad runs in the cups? If thats what you want...:-k

The first three games of the season, we lost CL football yet again, no organisation, no cleverness, just bad club management.

Correct, and there not a lot to add.

Our attacking players apart from Bale are just not good enough, all of them. No technique, no control.

Siggy, Dempsey, Lennon, Holtby(So far) Just not good enough footballers. Why are they here playing, I dont know.

Our squad is just too poor, no good players on the bench.

We need quality, proper footballers.

fudge me the way your going on is like were in 20th spot not potentially going to get a CL spot again...

Jeez I forgot we win the league every year and have £100m to spend every transfer window

fudge me the way your going on is like were in 20th spot not potentially going to get a CL spot again...

Jeez I forgot we win the league every year and have £100m to spend every transfer window

I never said that. I am just saying Siggy, Lennon, Dempsey and & Holtby are not footballers. We all know that but some are trying to convince the others that they are, even though I have seen them on the ball all season and I have more skills...

There is no wonder we cant keep the ball with players like that.

Coutinho and sturridge are both technically a class above these players are cost about the same.

Happy with 5th? with bad runs in the cups? If thats what you want...:-k

The first three games of the season, we lost CL football yet again, no organisation, no cleverness, just bad club management.

hi charlie, no disrespect even though i totally think what i am about to say is very disrespectful....but i think you have some issues to deal with in regards to being a spurs supporter.

can i just ask , where are you from and how long have you actually been supporting tottenham? i've always wanted to ask that after your posts regarding the lloris saga....but seeing the same mindset spill over into other topics i really have to ask

Was referring to his season with Chelsea / England

Levy / the Board set those - this has been the case since Jol's days

You think we'd have lost to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and drawn those two home games with a proper settled pre season?

We can only speculate - absolutely no way can that be conclusive proof we would have won.

What do you mean with 'proper settled pre-season' - we did have one

Last edited:
Back