• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

What are we suggesting or considering as alternatives!? Easy to criticise. What is the alternative you’re suggesting?

Re China. We were talking about degrowth. Which would require centralised government imposing a new economy on people. As communism did.

The other salient point re China is communism and Marxism had an emphasis on negating the need for capitalist growth and focus on materialism. You might not understand that these themes continue via modern movements but they are linked to extremely similar ideals. That is no criticism. The logic behind them is sound. But if we can’t understand and learn from the implementation of these ideals within communist states, what hope have we got of doing a better job next time? Or people taking seriously these aims and theories?

Your assumption is wrong.
Have you been to China out of interest?
I have a few times. I understand with unequivocal scope what the regime there is all about (hint - it is NOT text-book communism).
The first time I went, Shanghai was the first stop. As we rolled up to our very expensive 5-star hotel (which outstripped it's western counterparts) I observed several Lambos, Ferarris and Mercedes outside. About 20 mins from our hotel was a 'mall' with Gucci, Prada, all the same stores you see in (say) Beverley Hills. China wears the clothes of communism but has mined the premise to extrapolate the 'best' elements of it in order for a small percentage to thrive. Like Russia did. China is in perpetual 'transition' between capitalism and communism (as written anyway). The truth appears to be that it is an authoritarisn govenment which engages in extreme capitalism when it suits the few; the many? Yes indeed, follow the little red book...

Your assumption is wrong.
Have you been to China out of interest?
I have a few times. I understand with unequivocal scope what the regime there is all about (hint - it is NOT text-book communism).
The first time I went, Shanghai was the first stop. As we rolled up to our very expensive 5-star hotel (which outstripped it's western counterparts) I observed several Lambos, Ferarris and Mercedes outside. About 20 mins from our hotel was a 'mall' with Gucci, Prada, all the same stores you see in (say) Beverley Hills. China wears the clothes of communism but has mined the premise to extrapolate the 'best' elements of it in order for a small percentage to thrive. Like Russia did. China is in perpetual 'transition' between capitalism and communism (as written anyway). The truth appears to be that it is an authoritarisn govenment which engages in extreme capitalism when it suits the few; the many? Yes indeed, follow the little red book...

China isn’t communist anymore even though it’s run by the communist party. As noted a couple of pages back, ironically it’s one of the worst countries for worker rights. If you think union protections are bad in the US, try working in a Chinese factory!

But we are a little lost. Let’s recap.

1. you flagged up how capitalism is worse than ever.
2. espoused degrowth as a solution
3. No ones yet been able to articulate how we’d achieve the aim of degrowth, apart from GutterBoy (who’s an undercover ranging capitalist!)
4. To impose a new economic degrowth model on a nation you’d need a Chinese -like authoritarian government.
5. The ideals of degrowth seem aligned with aspects of Marxist and communist ideology. So we can and must learn from how communism tried (and failed) to implement a change from materialism and build an economy based on human need rather than growth. It’s fascinating and informative to understand why it didn’t happen.

There are interesting question to answer: can we improve on our current societies with huge disparities of wealth? People are far happier when there is less disparity. Then how can we stop polluting and destroying our environment. Technologically we have all the tools and resources to do so. But societal structures and economic systems are not changing quickly enough.

China isn’t communist anymore even though it’s run by the communist party. As noted a couple of pages back, ironically it’s one of the worst countries for worker rights. If you think union protections are bad in the US, try working in a Chinese factory!

You don't need to explain that to me. In fact, I thought I already made that clear? Let me make it clear; I know what China is, I know what their worker rights are, I know what their human rights are. You genuinely DON'T need to explain it to me. FWIW, just like the US always wore the phrase and ideals of 'anyone can make it', so China uses the badge of 'communism' as a 'brand' it is proud to wear. As we've established, it's a brand. Again I ask, have you been? It's something! The Bund in Shanghai looks like Vegas!!!!!

But we are a little lost. Let’s recap.

1. you flagged up how capitalism is worse than ever.
2. espoused degrowth as a solution
3. No ones yet been able to articulate how we’d achieve the aim of degrowth, apart from GutterBoy (who’s an undercover ranging capitalist!)
4. To impose a new economic degrowth model on a nation you’d need a Chinese -like authoritarian government.
5. The ideals of degrowth seem aligned with aspects of Marxist and communist ideology. So we can and must learn from how communism tried (and failed) to implement a change from materialism and build an economy based on human need rather than growth. It’s fascinating and informative to understand why it didn’t happen.

I think it is FAR simpler than you package up, by proxy.
I am not sure you're actually reading what I'm writing more than extrapolating bits and pieces which don't fit your questions.
Let me recap.

IF we're talking about a PRACTICAL implementable solution in the next 5 years, then there will be no imposing of anything, let alone 'degrowth'.
We need to start shifting the public and societal conscience to at least take care of fundamental aspects of living for the general public.
Nationalise power and water.
Reinvest heavily in affordable housing (in the process creating jobs)
Introduce greater checks and balances on private vendors executing public services, and rebalance from simply picking the cheapest bidder to one which is cost-effective but also supplies a quality service.
These are all DOABLE in the near future, and would at the very least not leave so many of the economically marginalised actually in dire straights.

As for why 'communism' didn't work, IMO it's because it's an ideal. A political/social theory. When applied by humans, well, there's no way it can succeed in it's defined form, because inevitably, power and greed become players. Thus communism becomes dictatorship; leaders believe that because everyone has a roof, a job, and some bread and basic food that they are being benevolent and caring. The truth is obviously NOT that.

There are interesting question to answer: can we improve on our current societies with huge disparities of wealth? People are far happier when there is less disparity. Then how can we stop polluting and destroying our environment. Technologically we have all the tools and resources to do so. But societal structures and economic systems are not changing quickly enough.

Unfortunately, in think we're in the middle of a 10-15 year cycle of extremes. If you want to improve current societies wealth disparuty, there has to be a collective belief in core principles, such as people's right to heat, water, electricity, shelter, healthcare, and that will require a buy in from everyone. Just giving people those basics at an affordable/subsidised rate will give society a chance to find the middle ground again.

As much as anything, we are currently reaping the 'rewards' of a sore under-investment in education/monetising of university eduction. A society's cornerstone is its education system. And if it isn't invested in, then we see populations increasingly swayed by false news, social media, rhetoric and buzzwords. That's going to take a generation to solve -and only if we take the issue seriously now...

Back