• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Winter tax allowance is just the state giving tax revenue to people to leak more of it into the hands of big corporation leeches.

Return the energy infrastructure to the public instead and the problem never exists.
Does not really help in the short term if people could not afford to heat their homes. I assume it is means tested?

All things should be means tested. Fat or smoke, no NHS for you.

Winter tax allowance is just the state giving tax revenue to people to leak more of it into the hands of big corporation leeches.

Return the energy infrastructure to the public instead and the problem never exists.
My Tory neighbour was bleating on about Labour “stealing [his] money” when it was first announced. He’ll still manage 18 weeks in Lanzarote this year, though, as usual (3x6 week stints); may just have to have dine out 3 or 4 times fewer.

Does not really help in the short term if people could not afford to heat their homes. I assume it is means tested?

It hasnt been means tested. So even multi billionaire King Charles gets his. It is becoming means tested, which is what this fuss is about.

I knew a couple who used to save theirs as a fund for their speeding fines from all their sports cars

After all these years of that obscene triple lock, pensioners are by far the wealthiest section of society. There needs to be some major redistribution of wealth. A situation where pensioners spend their life on cruises, whilst workers can only eat through foodbanks, just isnt sustainable

After all these years of that obscene triple lock, pensioners are by far the wealthiest section of society. There needs to be some major redistribution of wealth. A situation where pensioners spend their life on cruises, whilst workers can only eat through foodbanks, just isnt sustainable
Or how about the 1% of the world which has 99% of the wealth

I wouldn’t go that far, but the government should tell people they need to lose weight or encourage them to get fitter. Cancer Research got flak for a campaign they did a few years ago about obesity and how it’s one of the main causes of cancer and were told it was “fat shaming”. The fact that we live in a world where the first concern for some is people’s feelings rather than potentially getting healthier and saving lives is beyond comprehension for me.

I wouldn’t go that far, but the government should tell people they need to lose weight or encourage them to get fitter.
They do. fit4life and other campaigns run by the Government, encourage just what you are suggesting. CRUK and BHF still emphasise the link between obesity, cancer and heart disease.

Cancer Research got flak for a campaign they did a few years ago about obesity and how it’s one of the main causes of cancer and were told it was “fat shaming”. The fact that we live in a world where the first concern for some is people’s feelings rather than potentially getting healthier and saving lives is beyond comprehension for me.
If you are talking about “fat shaming” working as a means to lose weight, actual studies suggest it does the opposite. If you are interested have a read of the following:-

Tackling obesity at a population level, like many things in life, is complex and requires a properly coordinated strategy involving some of the following, reducing the availability of high calorific foods, curbs on advertising such food, education on cooking and nutrition, medical interventions as well as encouraging exercise and fitness. What generally doesn’t help though is pointing and staring at “fat people.”

They do. fit4life and other campaigns run by the Government, encourage just what you are suggesting. CRUK and BHF still emphasise the link between obesity, cancer and heart disease.

If you are talking about “fat shaming” working as a means to lose weight, actual studies suggest it does the opposite. If you are interested have a read of the following:-

Tackling obesity at a population level, like many things in life, is complex and requires a properly coordinated strategy involving some of the following, reducing the availability of high calorific foods, curbs on advertising such food, education on cooking and nutrition, medical interventions as well as encouraging exercise and fitness. What generally doesn’t help though is pointing and staring at “fat people.”

In my Orange Theory classes there all shapes and sizes, ages ands types. Three times a week classes gather and do a tremendous amount of high intensity training work. Every one of these people, regardless of how big or small they appear, put work and effort into looking to discover their health or maintain it. One of the things I LOVE about Orange Theory is how EVERYONE is welcomed, supported, and reminded that they are there giving that hour of that day to themselves. I have seen some amazing transformations, equally, I have seen people who are still 'large' but IMO fit. Books and covers isn't it, albeit I think we all know when someone is perhaps not doing best by themselves...in which case, as you rightly say, education and guidance is the key. I could get into food politics but a) I feel we'd agree and b) don't want to suck up another few paragraphs!!!!!

I wouldn’t go that far, but the government should tell people they need to lose weight or encourage them to get fitter. Cancer Research got flak for a campaign they did a few years ago about obesity and how it’s one of the main causes of cancer and were told it was “fat shaming”. The fact that we live in a world where the first concern for some is people’s feelings rather than potentially getting healthier and saving lives is beyond comprehension for me.

I agree to an extent -there are some strange metrics in this regard- but there is a space where both people's feelings and their physical health can be addressed successfully. Often, morbid obesity suffers a mental health contribution which needs careful addressing.

To properly address @Danishfurniturelover 's point re: NHS, I think the MAIN thing which has to happen is to ensure that the funding it gets is first of all sopent properly and appropriately (as opposed to padding lobbyist pockets and inside interest sub-contracts), to ensure that salaries are paid which continue to bring the best of young doctors and nurses into the NHS, and for preventative care to be both incentivized and encouraged. I do think everybody using the NHS should be expected to have a full annual physical. Frankly? I'd also suggest that an annual psychological 'well-being' visit should become part of everyone's program too.

What a great post and your absolutely right.

I agree to an extent -there are some strange metrics in this regard- but there is a space where both people's feelings and their physical health can be addressed successfully. Often, morbid obesity suffers a mental health contribution which needs careful addressing.

To properly address @Danishfurniturelover 's point re: NHS, I think the MAIN thing which has to happen is to ensure that the funding it gets is first of all sopent properly and appropriately (as opposed to padding lobbyist pockets and inside interest sub-contracts), to ensure that salaries are paid which continue to bring the best of young doctors and nurses into the NHS, and for preventative care to be both incentivized and encouraged. I do think everybody using the NHS should be expected to have a full annual physical. Frankly? I'd also suggest that an annual psychological 'well-being' visit should become part of everyone's program too.
No way I'm taking a test I would fail

No its gone to far.

For the record I agree with treating people with different colour skin equally, to hate someone because of skin pigmentation is ridiculous. I agree on not hating people because of who they choose to have sex with, (like its anyone's business what consenting adults do).

I even agree people can worship whatever make believe sky fairy they want. As long as they are generally decent people I don't care.

But hell no am I treating fatties with anything but contempt and ridicule. I will even with my declining health shout out "fatty fatty bum bum, go run for some fun fun"

I will never stop and I know you guys hate free speech if it goes against your view.

But I will never stop, I HATE FATTIES.

Back