• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Inter

We switch formations when we have to, when we're playing well we don't. I've never seen has controlling a game then switch formations, it makes no sense to.

Last season we'd start in a diamond, play badly for 20 mins and then switch and play better. This happened repeatedly.

We switch all of the time both in formation and player positions. Both when playing well and badly.

There were plenty of games last season where we started 4-2-3-1 and then moved to a diamond and improved. The diamond allows us to play two up top which can be useful and both Son and Moura have done well in.

So in defence of your argument you pick our two games against the best team in the country. I wonder if there are other factors that we might want to consider? :confused:
What? I said that the diamond formation actually helped us get two goals away against City. That it was the one game where it actually had a positive effect in the knockout phase of the Champions League. At least read my post before you reply.

We switch formations when we have to, when we're playing well we don't. I've never seen has controlling a game then switch formations, it makes no sense to.

Last season we'd start in a diamond, play badly for 20 mins and then switch and play better. This happened repeatedly.
Indeed

Lloris backing away towards his goal making the target bigger again. Most goalies go towards the ball to narrow the angle, not Hugo. :D

The diamond looked better once Sissoko started hanging out wider, but our biggest tempo moments came in the second half when we went to the 4231 and kept Moura and Son high and wide. The narrowness of our play kills us at times, but just keeping one player out there gives us an early out that sets the opposition scrambling across the pitch. N'Dombele looked miles better in the second half with that option available and we seemed to defend better too. The front 3 in the first half stayed up and it left our midfield really susceptible to the cross field passes.

I'm still worried about our playing out from the back. We are too slow to move out and are maybe too compact as the passing lanes are too few and too narrow. Lloris was poor at this too as there were a couple of occasions where he should've used Winks and didn't. His chipped balls over the top were overhit too as Lamela had on a couple of occassions lost his man and found space only for it to go over the top of him to Kane or who was 1v2/1v3.

The diamond looked better once Sissoko started hanging out wider, but our biggest tempo moments came in the second half when we went to the 4231 and kept Moura and Son high and wide. The narrowness of our play kills us at times, but just keeping one player out there gives us an early out that sets the opposition scrambling across the pitch. N'Dombele looked miles better in the second half with that option available and we seemed to defend better too. The front 3 in the first half stayed up and it left our midfield really susceptible to the cross field passes.

I'm still worried about our playing out from the back. We are too slow to move out and are maybe too compact as the passing lanes are too few and too narrow. Lloris was poor at this too as there were a couple of occasions where he should've used Winks and didn't. His chipped balls over the top were overhit too as Lamela had on a couple of occassions lost his man and found space only for it to go over the top of him to Kane or who was 1v2/1v3.
Fair analysis. I thought we pressed well and KWP showed mixture of good technique and aggression to get forwards.
I worry about the playing out from the back, Sanchez is not strong on the ball (he did his trick of trying to shield the ball for a goal kick rather than clear it and got barged off the ball too) so what seems to happen is the ball gets played back to Lloris who then chips it over to Rose or KWP who are then put under pressure by the time the ball has arrived be brought under control.
I know it’s only a friendly (I would not go to one other than for the opportunity to take my little boy, but wow 58k was impressive) but we also seemed shot shy around the box, most people looking to shift the ball on rather than be the one to take responsibility which invariably mean the defending team can get organised. A trait that seemed to start last season or perhaps I’m biased as I now sit behind the goal rather than viewing from the side?) We even had a couple to short corners that ended up back in our own half too.
They really need to sort the transport out in the season proper, twice as many people heading to seven sisters invokes memories of trying to get home from Wembley.

I feel like the diamond works in very specific circumstances to nullify a particular type of opposition (e.g. Sarriball or City away in the CL) but I don't see it helping us be that fluid consistently over a game. Bar the first initial flurry against Inter we weren't that great.

Maybe it was just a pre-season game and Poch just wants us to be comfortable with it, knowing we are good with a 4-2-3-1, but I don't really like it.

Lloris backing away towards his goal making the target bigger again. Most goalies go towards the ball to narrow the angle, not Hugo. :D

Gazzaniga also did similar with the Bayern first goal..

I'd say it's just pre-season and that's the reason neither came charging out of their goal diving at the feet of their opponent, but then, I'm not so sure.

Certainly in Lloris' case, I do recall him last season coming off his line to narrow the angle, only to stop or retreat.

I think the trouble with the both of them is that for goalkeepers, they're both, way to good looking.. I like my goalkeepers to have a bit of a rough looking face, like they've had a hard life and, having a Stevie Bruce nose is a big plus for me.. If a goalkeeper has never had his nose smashed in whilst diving at the feet of an opponent in a one on one, then as far as I'm concerned, he's a bit of a poser..:cool:

Back