• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

Commentators are saying there were supposed to be penalties..

But the players all walked off..

Good on them. Penalties are fun to watch when they actually matter, but not in a preseason friendly. Was there some kind of trophy for this match?

It actually looks like we play better stuff with some of our backups in. Carroll really does make the play move that much faster in midfield. Kane holds up play 20 times better than Defoe

If our next game was the Premier League kick off I'd play the following:

Friedel
Naughton - Dawson - Kaboul - Assou Ekotto
Townsend - Huddlestone - Carroll - Bale
Sigurdsson
Kane

Some way to go

we need to buy players

we have to stop playing the offside trap

lots of work to do, only 3 weeks till Saudi Sportswashing Machine

we need to buy players

we have to stop playing the offside trap

lots of work to do, only 3 weeks till Saudi Sportswashing Machine

While some of you lot were watching this game, I had a dream that we lost 6 - 0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine:cry:

While some of you lot were watching this game, I had a dream that we lost 6 - 0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine:cry:

looking at some of our kamikaze defending, that scoreline is not so unrealistic

whenever i saw Porto under AVB they were always open in midfield and at the back. Their luck was that they had Falcao and Hulk to rescue them time and time again

Unless we have quality in attack like that, imo we are going to struggle a bit. The offside trap, no pressure in midfield, and inconsistency in passing will simply pile the pressure on our defence and we will crack

come on Danny boy, open the chequebook and buy some strikers!!

I saw the second half - woke up early this morning and caught most of it. Few comment below

We didn't look great at all - defence was shaky and often pushed too far up. When BAE came on that marginally improved although he was also sloppy towards the end - did his vintage 'brick, who am I supposed to be marking again, boss?' impersonation at least once.

Going forward things were marginally better but we always pushed it out wide to the wings and lacked a focal point upfront - the shortcomings were rather obvious. Our passing was average at best and often rushed. I sincerely hope we are working on something in the transfer cauldron, be it Ade or someone comparable else we're completely and utterly fudged.

Lennon was one of our best players, Bentley tried really hard but his delivery often let him down. Kane looked dire

Overall half performance - 6/10

Last edited:
What was worrying was the seeming lack of communication and understanding between the back 4 and keeper when playing the high line. In combination with non existent pressing (which gave the LA galaxy players ample time for them to weigh their pass in behind the defence), our defence looked porous to say the least.

I felt Cudicini's distribution was atrocious throughout the match. And without modric, there wasn't anyone who really dicatated the play in CM. Huddlestone controlled the play more when he came on.. but by then LA galaxy had their 2nd or 3rd string midfield in there.

On a brighter note, caroll looked good in possession and townsend looked dangerous despite playing out of position on the right. Managed to beat his man most of the time. Kane looked a more complete player and seemed more up for it than defoe too. Bale and walker looked fit and had good games. The rest seemed abit off the pace though but i guess thats common at this point during pre-season. Walker and VdV picked up injuries too so let's hope its not serious!

Last edited:
My take...

OVERALL, a decent enough outing for pre-season after double sessions in the blazing heat the last few days...but some obersvations...

In a 4-3-3, our midfield is going to have to be a lot stronger and we will desperately need two quality strikers (one world-beater, one able tandem/rotation player)...the pressing HAS to happen for our defense not to be left holding the can...

I am hopeful that Sig will improve, but he frankly did NOT maintain possession well, and if he plays should be the furthest/advance midfielder...I fear for VdV in this system, as frankly, it will require a level of consistent fitness which I am not entirely sure he's up to. Bale was on another level to anyone on the pitch IMHO, Verts played well, Bassong is not en emergency left-back and Lennon looked very rusty but he usually takes a few games to click in.

I thought Kane was actually pretty impressive. He held the ball up pretty well, and knew exactly how to play the position. He did himself a lot of favors. I also thought Townshend showed that with some top coaching, he could really be a very, very useful member of the squad. I love the look of Carroll and hope he gets brought on this season; he was dropping in and looking for the ball much like Luka does...quakity player, one excellent little ball out to Bentley

Second-half changed when Benny and Bale teamed up on the left, much more assured, and I was a bit alarmed at the Hudd as he looked like the LA hood rat version of Cameron Jerome and was moving even slower than usual...still, match-fitness to be found I'm sure...

We made enough chances to win, and yeah, stonewall pen not given, but a very very useful workout which must show how important it is the club decide whether they're selling Modric or not. That way we will know what we're spending. I would think the whole Ade situation just became a little clearer though? Unless AVB has a Portugese rabbit to pull from the hat...

Back