• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I refer you back to my comment about better players. He's stuck to his football principles through thick and thin at least.

If we want football principles we might as well go back to Ardiles and 1995.
The facts are that if Redknapp had have left the day Capello resigned. Martinez would never be a candidate. His side were siding bottom of the table with 2 wins in 22 games.

What about his team being bloody hopeless for most of the season?

There is a charitable reading of that which speaks very well of Martinez: Wigan is a crappy little club with no history, no fans and shag-all money. They should be a Tier 3 team. As such, they are naturally pants most of the time in the Premier League...however, at the end of the season when it really matters, their manager is able to get more out of them than he has a right to. If that's what's happening, then instead of seeing the crappy part of the season as a measure of Martinez, we should look at the business part.

Portsmouth and Coventry - big football towns - were relegated last week. Two of West Ham, Birmingham or Cardiff won't have Prem Football next season. Other big clubs - Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Forest, the Sheffield clubs - are doing all they can to get there. And yet Matinez has kept Wigan ahead of them all for 2 seasons, and maybe 3, playing a tactically astute passing game.

Anyone is a risk now, with the possible exception of Ancelotti, who I think you can guarantee competence from. But I think he's out of the running anyway. Everyone else is a punt, and as such I'd rather punt on Martinez than Moyes, Rodgers, AVB, Capello or any other name I'm hearing.

Anyway, I doubt all this hasn't occurred to Levy, so here's hoping he takes the right punt:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...rtinez-shock-candidate-for-Tottenham-job.html

If we want football principles we might as well go back to Ardiles and 1995.
The facts are that if Redknapp had have left the day Capello resigned. Martinez would never be a candidate. His side were siding bottom of the table with 2 wins in 22 games.

Just want to point something out -Jurgen Klopp oversaw Mainz's relegation from the Bundesliga, and was then hired by Dortmund and won back to back titles. Sometimes you have to take that kind of risk to get any reward. I would say Martinez keeping Wigan up playing great football all these years is an achievement that should put him in the running, even if he wouldn't be my first choice.

There is a charitable reading of that which speaks very well of Martinez: Wigan is a crappy little club with no history, no fans and shag-all money. They should be a Tier 3 team. As such, they are naturally pants most of the time in the Premier League...however, at the end of the season when it really matters, their manager is able to get more out of them than he has a right to. If that's what's happening, then instead of seeing the crappy part of the season as a measure of Martinez, we should look at the business part.

Portsmouth and Coventry - big football towns - were relegated last week. Two of West Ham, Birmingham or Cardiff won't have Prem Football next season. Other big clubs - Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Forest, the Sheffield clubs - are doing all they can to get there. And yet Matinez has kept Wigan ahead of them all for 2 seasons, and maybe 3, playing a tactically astute passing game.

Anyone is a risk now, with the possible exception of Ancelotti, who I think you can guarantee competence from. But I think he's out of the running anyway. Everyone else is a punt, and as such I'd rather punt on Martinez than Moyes, Rodgers, AVB, Capello or any other name I'm hearing.

Anyway, I doubt all this hasn't occurred to Levy, so here's hoping he takes the right punt:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...rtinez-shock-candidate-for-Tottenham-job.html

Very much agree with this, especially in light of the revelation that Harry is the opposite and can't get it done in the business end of the season.

Also something I would add is I think Martinez has something about him that other candidates like Rodgers, Moyes, AVB don't really have imo, and that is that he seems interesting. Those three seem a bit boring in comparison, while Martinez has charisma imo (although idk if that's the right word). I think that is an important quality in a manager.

Still I definitely wouldn't mind Rodgers but is it just me or does he seem a little dour, especially compared to Martinez?

The main reason Wigan are where they are is Dave Whelan. They were a league one team going nowhere with a bricky Springfield park stadium before he took over. Martinez seems to only get the best from his team in the last few weeks of the season when they are staring down the barrel of relegation like last season. Moyes is the only logical choice IMO

Because of one result? Come on.

No. Not one result.
The season.

He has had 1 season, like so many other just promoted teams, where they've surprised a few. Bit like Hull a few seasons back, but you wouldn't want Phil Brown as manager now, would you?
Not saying Rogers is no good, but he has proved nothing yet.

No. Not one result.
The season.

He has had 1 season, like so many other just promoted teams, where they've surprised a few. Bit like Hull a few seasons back, but you wouldn't want Phil Brown as manager now, would you?

Spot on. If we were having this discussion a year ago then people would be talking up Coyle.

Spot on. If we were having this discussion a year ago then people would be talking up Coyle.

Indeed. Last season was regarded as a failure by some fans, who wanted Redknapp sacked in the Summer (amazingly it's the same fans who have turned on him this time around too, what an amazing co-incidence) and a fair few of those fans stated they wanted Coyle to replace him. I wonder if they still do.....

No. Not one result.
The season.

The Phil Brown, a disciple of Sam Allardyce that scraped survival on the last day with Hull in the first season, and then got sacked before they were comfortably relegated the next? No, no I wouldn't want him.

Do I think Rodgers, one of the most progressive and highly thought of young coaches in the game who has comfortably survived while playing some of the best football in the division with SWANSEA may be good for us? Yes, yes I do.

On Coyle, I actually think he's a very good manager. Has had awful luck with injuries with Bolton, and hasn't had much in the way of funds. Has lost key players and doesn't have a great squad to work with but has them playing good football. Don't think his reputation needs much recovering after Bolton to be honest, he's done well there but has been unfortunate. Wouldn't advocate his appointment for us right now, but in the future I don't see why not.

Indeed. Don't know what some people are expecting? Swansea to challenge for a top 4 place? First season in the PL and he has them safe in mid-table, having played a brand of football not seen by a promoted side before is an excellent achievement. They've regularly dominated games home and away all season(OK not yesterday) and yes possession isn't everything but you have to realise that we're not talking about top class players here, they can't always make the possession count but given the funds available at Spurs compared to Swansea then it's not inconceivable that he could get a side together to match the dominant possession with consistent end product.

Even if he has 2 or 3 more years at Swansea with seasons similar to this the excuse will still be that all he's ever done is manage a mid table side, it seems that context is often dismissed and a quick look on wikipedia honours list is the only way to hire a manager.

Very much agree with this, especially in light of the revelation that Harry is the opposite and can't get it done in the business end of the season.

Also something I would add is I think Martinez has something about him that other candidates like Rodgers, Moyes, AVB don't really have imo, and that is that he seems interesting. Those three seem a bit boring in comparison, while Martinez has charisma imo (although idk if that's the right word). I think that is an important quality in a manager.

Still I definitely wouldn't mind Rodgers but is it just me or does he seem a little dour, especially compared to Martinez?

I've taken to dubbing Martinez mini-Mourinhio for this very reason. Of course, the comparison is absurd in terms of achievement, but in terms of personality and charisma I think there are glaring similarities. Both of them it seems to me are not only liked by their players, but come to be semi-revered by them. I've never seen anyone like Mourinhio when it comes to getting loyalty and love from his players, but I think Martinez is in the ballpark. Season after season of losing and losing, but Martinez still has enough respect in the dressing room and training pitch to get performances out of them like we've seen in the last 4 or 6 weeks. This must come down to personality and charisma.

The Phil Brown, a disciple of Sam Allardyce that scraped survival on the last day with Hull in the first season, and then got sacked before they were comfortably relegated the next? No, no I wouldn't want him.

Do I think Rodgers, one of the most progressive and highly thought of young coaches in the game who has comfortably survived while playing some of the best football in the division with SWANSEA may be good for us? Yes, yes I do.

Fair enough BoL, but I have heard the exact same "progressive and highly thought of young coaches" about many managers over the years. Paul Jewell, Micky Adams, Aidy Boothroyd, Steve McLaren, Neil Webb, Mike Walker, Graham Rix, George Burley, Craig Levein, AVB, Southgate. Probably another couple of dozen I can't even remember the names of because they've been shooting stars.

I really don't know how we decide that Rodgers isn't one of those. My guess is that he isn't, but I am by no means certain. His press interviews make him come across as thoughtful and sensative...but certainly a leader of men? No. Certainly the next big thing? Maybe, but not certainly.

As I said above, anyone is a punt in reality. But if we're going to punt on the basis of a track record, style of football, dealings in the xfer market, tactical coherence and man-management, I'm not entirely sure how Rodgers jumps ahead of Martinez using those metrics.

IF 'Arry is going WTF is he doing talking up a possible Modric move next season? He won't even be here...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7713826/Redknapp-unsure-over-Modric

Just manage the team till the end of the season FFS

It is getting to the point where i do not want to see sky sports news or the newspapers now because every day he annoys me, i have to show myself some self awarness and say that i obviously do not like the guy, but even with that in mind the is no way he should be in the press every day with crap like this.

Indeed. Last season was regarded as a failure by some fans, who wanted Redknapp sacked in the Summer (amazingly it's the same fans who have turned on him this time around too, what an amazing co-incidence) and a fair few of those fans stated they wanted Coyle to replace him. I wonder if they still do.....

Actually coyle is still in my top 3 to replace redknapp, he hs been unlucky this season in has not been able to replace the excellent on loan sturridge from last year or elmandear who went on a free and davies who has always been important for them has been injured a lot. He does not have the transfer budget he would have here or same class of players.

I like coyle and think he could do a very good job. Poyet was also on my list last year but after how he has behaved this season with brighton and i watched them live a few times i do not want him i still think he has a lot to learn.

The main reason Wigan are where they are is Dave Whelan. They were a league one team going nowhere with a bricky Springfield park stadium before he took over. Martinez seems to only get the best from his team in the last few weeks of the season when they are staring down the barrel of relegation like last season. Moyes is the only logical choice IMO

Exactly Martinez hasn't exactly worked miracles.

Martinez
2011/12 16th
2010/11 16th
2009/10 16th

Steve Bruce!
2008/09 11th

Chris Hutching/Steve Bruce
2007/08 14th

Paul Jewell
2006/07 17th
2005/06 10th

We need a manager who will drill our players like the very best do. I don't see Harry as that manager anymore, and can no longer stand his complete unwillingness to accept any responsibility. How sad it is that we have gone from looking towards real coups both in terms of manager and players but next year we will be lucky to be in the Europa and will have to replace our most important players as well as those who have gone well past their sell-by date.

We need a manager who will drill our players like the very best do. I don't see Harry as that manager anymore, and can no longer stand his complete unwillingness to accept any responsibility. How sad it is that we have gone from looking towards real coups both in terms of manager and players but next year we will be lucky to be in the Europa and will have to replace our most important players as well as those who have gone well past their sell-by date.

or maybe not. It all depends on:

the results of the next three games
whether Chelsea win the Champions League final
whether the manager situation is resolved quickly
who replaces Redknapp, if he leaves
whether anyone comes in for Modric and/or Bale

Exactly Martinez hasn't exactly worked miracles.

Martinez
2011/12 16th
2010/11 16th
2009/10 16th

Steve Bruce!
2008/09 11th

Chris Hutching/Steve Bruce
2007/08 14th

Paul Jewell
2006/07 17th
2005/06 10th

Nope not miracles but then again Bruce had far better players and since Jewell the premiership has improved significant in terms of quality and finance.

Back