• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Would it not be possible to have a "shuttle" type tube between Northumberland and Tottenham Hale, Just ferrying passengers between the two ? But i guess that would require even more work to be done east of the stadium

What about a tram service up the highroad from seven sisters? :p

Would it not be possible to have a "shuttle" type tube between Northumberland and Tottenham Hale, Just ferrying passengers between the two ? But i guess that would require even more work to be done east of the stadium

What about a tram service up the highroad from seven sisters? :p

Even better would be to knock down all the flats, make the road 6 lanes wide and build a massive car park.

They can call it what they want ( as long as they pay for it) it will always be the Lane for me and my mates.

Which is one of the reasons why Levy wanted to move to Stratford, the naming rights for a new stadium in a new location are worth far more because the fans will not refer to it by an old name.

Also if they are doing this they could make Northumberland Park back into a tube station, years ago my dad said they always got the tube there, the depot is next to the current train station already and the track still lies there too

I wish that they would do this, it would be far and away the best solution.

Which is one of the reasons why Levy wanted to move to Stratford, the naming rights for a new stadium in a new location are worth far more because the fans will not refer to it by an old name.

im not sure if i buy that logic tbh - i would have thought the official use of the stadium name reaches a far larger audience than the relatively small number of people who would continue using White Hart Lane.

surely sponsors don't aim purely for the people who follow the team, they aim for all football fans - Champions League football, televised Premiership games etc etc reach audience numbers in the millions - who cares if a % of Spurs fans stick with the old name ?

Last edited:
im not sure if i buy that logic tbh - i would have thought the official use of the stadium name reaches a far larger audience than the relatively small number of people who would continue using White Hart Lane.

I doubt that TFL would let us choose the name of a station for our own financial gain.

surely sponsors don't aim purely for the people who follow the team, they aim for all football fans - Champions League football, televised Premiership games etc etc reach audience numbers in the millions - who cares if a % of Spurs fans stick with the old name ?

Yes, stadium names do reach a wider audience than just the fans but use of fans play a key role in spreading its use (circular argument I know but I hope that you get what I mean). Sponsors want to reach as many potential customers as possible and if key sectors of that potential market do not use their name then it is worth less money.

i see what you are saying, im just not sure that it would effect a potential sponsorship deal that much - if we were just renaming WHL then what you are saying would be a big problem - but a new stadium ? i still think we will be getting a very good deal out of this.

Sratford would have got us a much more lucrative deal Id agree, but for a whole host of other reasons than just for the reason above

I knew I'd read something on this before

There is no question that stadium rights deals are much less valuable for existing stadiums. The deal value for a sponsor of a new stadium comes from a close brand association and corporate partnership rather than simply the value of the airtime and column inches it generates in the media.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/stadium-naming-rights-liverpool-chelsea-spurs

I'm not quite sure how they have managed to put Stoke's potential earnings above ours though

is that not based on renaming WHL in it's current state ?

im in agreement with you on that point, but a new stadium on the current plot will not have that much of a negative effect. also, as some of the comments on that blog piece say - the figures seem like they have been plucked from thin air

is that not based on renaming WHL in it's current state ?

im in agreement with you on that point, but a new stadium on the current plot will not have that much of a negative effect. also, as some of the comments on that blog piece say - the figures seem like they have been plucked from thin air

I'm sure that a new stadium next to the current one will be worth more in naming rights than WHL would be but I think that will still be less than we could get for a new stadium a mile or two up the road.

i had a quick skim through that Milo, didn't really offer much to counter my view, if im honest

i think we are in a rather unique situation at the moment- a brand new complex is going to be built almost directly on top of our old ground - i can't think of another English side to do this, ath this level anyway, so there is little else to compare it to - i guess we will find out soon enough as judging by the hoardings going up around the ground it looks as though we could have all the financing in place.

i don't entirely disagree with what you're saying i guess, i just don't think it will have that much of an impact - I think we will sign a deal where we receive a fair amount more than Arsenal for example

i don't entirely disagree with what you're saying i guess, i just don't think it will have that much of an impact - I think we will sign a deal where we receive a fair amount more than Arsenal for example

But that is because of them being signed at different times and naming rights being worth more now. If the rights for Ashburton Grove and NDP went on sale at the same time Ashburton Grove would be worth more partly because no Arsenal fan, broadcaster or journalist would refer to it as Highbury whereas as fair number of people will still call NDP White Hart Lane. Arsenal's wider reach and exposure would also be a significant factor in their rights being worth more.

I know that we are beginning to go around in circles a bit here.

i see what you are saying, im just not sure that it would effect a potential sponsorship deal that much - if we were just renaming WHL then what you are saying would be a big problem - but a new stadium ? i still think we will be getting a very good deal out of this.

Sratford would have got us a much more lucrative deal Id agree, but for a whole host of other reasons than just for the reason above

Agreed. The NPD will be a new stadium even if on the same site. The main advantages of Stratford were the closer proximity to the City and Canary Wharf that would have been big draws for naming rights and corporate entertainment.

One thing that will be interesting is what happens to the Emirates when that deal ends. The stadium is so strongly associated with the Emirates name - I mean, no one calls it Ashburton Grove - so I wonder if any companies will be interested in making it a competitive auction or whether the airline get to name their price. That could be a long-term advantage of keeping some association with WHL such as the Something Stadium at White Hart Lane. However, I suspect we go for the full name change to maximise the rights on the first name.

Some very interesting stuff on that forum

257g46g.jpg

Back