• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Alli would not have signed that contract without knowing Poch was sticking around IMO. Eriksen is trickier as I believe he wants to play abroad before the end of his career. I believe we will now make January signings a la Poch’s desires/move a couple on pronto in that window. Effectively, I have somehow convinced myself that our summer window will now be realized in Jan. Poch will be here for two more seasons minimum IMO.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I was thinking the same. If Eriksen signs too then I'm sure of it.

Alli would not have signed that contract without knowing Poch was sticking around IMO. Eriksen is trickier as I believe he wants to play abroad before the end of his career. I believe we will now make January signings a la Poch’s desires/move a couple on pronto in that window. Effectively, I have somehow convinced myself that our summer window will now be realized in Jan. Poch will be here for two more seasons minimum IMO.
Good post.
Eriksen NOT signing is actually a good motivator for Levy to make signings in January... he needs to show Eriksen and Poch that we are a progressive club, not regressive. And just imagine the double whammy if we sign nobody and Eriksen goes! Levy must be super-keen to sign someone in January.

Good post.
Eriksen NOT signing is actually a good motivator for Levy to make signings in January... he needs to show Eriksen and Poch that we are a progressive club, not regressive. And just imagine the double whammy if we sign nobody and Eriksen goes! Levy must be super-keen to sign someone in January.

It was the same situation in the summer; nothing was done then, why would it be done now?

Sell Eriksen in January bring in de jong and ndembele good as gold. Lovely jubbly

All the quoted apparent unhappiness with poch is in my mind not with levy but some in the squad.
This squad has the talent but it would seem not the fortitude to succeed. They aren't young anymore and someone should have stepped forward by now as the leader, so your post isn't as far off or outlandish as it may seem.
Not saying Eriksson would be the one sold as i don't think it would ever be expected for him to be that leader, but I suspect one of our bigger names could be sacrificed in the next two Windows.

I'll be back once I've got my hard hat on :)

All the quoted apparent unhappiness with poch is in my mind not with levy but some in the squad.
This squad has the talent but it would seem not the fortitude to succeed. They aren't young anymore and someone should have stepped forward by now as the leader, so your post isn't as far off or outlandish as it may seem.
Not saying Eriksson would be the one sold as i don't think it would ever be expected for him to be that leader, but I suspect one of our bigger names could be sacrificed in the next two Windows.

I'll be back once I've got my hard hat on :)

Interesting points; However a) i think the squad HAVE stepped up; how one defines a Leader has to be given in the spectrum of the fact that Poch likes players who have that team ethic and not the 'me, me, me' attitude of some other PL prima donnas.
In fact the question is likely: actually have the board/Levy stepped forward?
Sadly, we know what happens now to players at/near the top of their worth at Spurs if their contract goes into the last year so, all eyes on Eriksen..

We are the only team who has moved into the elite tier, 10yrs ago conversations were happening about European Leagues, and 5 were invited, now its 6

Im not saying Levy and Enic have zero faults, but i do think that as a foreign fan, who doesn't get the benefit of any infrastructure projects directly, you are viewing this through a different viewpoint.

I don't think we're in the 'elite' tier, to be honest - we've won nothing, the world's best players don't consider coming to us, and we're still far, far behind everyone else in the top six terms of commercial reach.

We are where we've always been - midway between the top five and the rest, too poor to be at the top table but too rich to be grouped with the Evertons and West Hams of this world. The only difference is, we've finished above clubs we shouldn't be finishing above (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and United), while City have rocketed into the 'elite' bracket, which means two of the former elites have to occupy fifth and sixth spot, below everyone else. When that happened for the first time, they couldn't exclude these clubs as 'no longer elites' because they're outside the top four. So they made it a top six instead.

In other words, less about us than about the clubs around us.

As for my viewpoint as a fan based in Canada, fair, mate. I don't expect to be able to go to NWHL as often as a regular, or even more than once every couple of years at the absolute most (although thankfully I'm now able to envision it - there was a time when I couldn't even afford to think about it).

But in the end, the experience seems secondary to me. Whether I watch it in the stadium or at home, the emotion will stay the same. Happy when we win, devastated and bleak when we lose.

And I just think we won't win anything big with ENIC. We won't, because they'll never push the boat out when the opportunity presents itself, when we have the right man and the right team. And we'll constantly get left behind while other clubs create the history that they can pass on through generations, from mother and father to son and daughter.

Leicester fans will always tell their kids about the year they won the league. The year in which Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha let them dream, and let them defy all the odds and all the injustices of a cruel world to emerge with the unlikeliest, most breathtaking upset in modern football. That perfect, happy story will keep hearts warm on many a cold night, for many, many years yet. And it will inspire the light that twinkles in a little kid's eyes when they're led onto the hallowed ground they've heard stories of all their lives.

I want to be able to do that with my kids one day. And I'm just growing resigned to the fact that, under ENIC, it's unlikely to ever happen, because they'll always shirk at the last moment.

And I'll have to stick to telling them of our older triumphs, from before color TV. And perhaps losing one of the best managers we've ever had because he arrived too soon for ENIC's liking.

ENIC have done reasonably well (just about) in using our own money (more on this later @ShipOfGoldblum )to get us up on to our feet after the Sugar years - it took 17 years, and it didn't cost them a cent, but hey, it happened. But now, they've about hit their limit - I don't see them being particularly willing to start spending on their asset, or actually caring about us winning trophies.

And we're approaching a happy phase where they can sell, take their billion pound profit and *leave*. So we can part ways. And thus, we should.

Or they can stay, and we can keep the same damn squad for another five windows and wonder why Poch left.

Last edited:
Interesting points; However a) i think the squad HAVE stepped up; how one defines a Leader has to be given in the spectrum of the fact that Poch likes players who have that team ethic and not the 'me, me, me' attitude of some other PL prima donnas.
In fact the question is likely: actually have the board/Levy stepped forward?
Sadly, we know what happens now to players at/near the top of their worth at Spurs if their contract goes into the last year so, all eyes on Eriksen..
Don't see how you can say that, modric, bale and walker, our last three big sales all agitated for a move. Its not like we actively tried to flog them.

I don't think we're in the 'elite' tier, to be honest - we've won nothing, the world's best players don't consider coming to us, and we're still far, far behind everyone else in the top six terms of commercial reach.

We are where we've always been - midway between the top five and the rest, too poor to be at the top table but too rich to be grouped with the Evertons and West Hams of this world. The only difference is, we've finished above clubs we shouldn't be finishing above (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and United), while City have rocketed into the 'elite' bracket, which means two of the former elites have to occupy fifth and sixth spot, below everyone else. When that happened for the first time, they couldn't exclude these clubs as 'no longer elites' because they're outside the top four. So they made it a top six instead.

In other words, less about us than about the clubs around us.

As for my viewpoint as a fan based in Canada, fair, mate. I don't expect to be able to go to NWHL as often as a regular, or even more than once every couple of years at the absolute most (although thankfully I'm now able to envision it - there was a time when I couldn't even afford to think about it).

But in the end, the experience seems secondary to me. Whether I watch it in the stadium or at home, the emotion will stay the same. Happy when we win, devastated and bleak when we lose.

And I just think we won't win anything big with ENIC. We won't, because they'll never push the boat out when the opportunity presents itself, when we have the right man and the right team. And we'll constantly get left behind while other clubs create the history that they can pass on through generations, from mother and father to son and daughter.

Leicester fans will always tell their kids about the year they won the league. The year in which Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha let them dream, and let them defy all the odds and all the injustices of a cruel world to emerge with the unlikeliest, most breathtaking upset in modern football. That perfect, happy story will keep hearts warm on many a cold night, for many, many years yet. And it will inspire the light that twinkles in a little kid's eyes when they're led onto the hallowed ground they've heard stories of all their lives.

I want to be able to do that with my kids one day. And I'm just growing resigned to the fact that, under ENIC, it's unlikely to ever happen, because they'll always shirk at the last moment.

And I'll have to stick to telling them of our older triumphs, from before color TV. And perhaps losing one of the best managers we've ever had because he arrived too soon for ENIC's liking.

ENIC have done reasonably well (just about) in using our own money (more on this later @ShipOfGoldblum )to get us up on to our feet after the Sugar years - it took 17 years, and it didn't cost them a cent, but hey, it happened. But now, they've about hit their limit - I don't see them being particularly willing to start spending on their asset, or actually caring about us winning trophies.

And we're approaching a happy phase where they can sell, take their billion pound profit and *leave*. So we can part ways. And thus, we should.

Or they can stay, and we can keep the same damn squad for another five windows and wonder why Poch left.

I think it's a harsh reading to say its all other clubs failures. We have done exceptionally well too to make it a genuine top 6. We haven't just scraped into 4th, we've been top 3 for the last 3 seasons and in two of those were the closest genuine title challenger.

I also think it's unfair to say ENIC took 17 years to get us on our feet after the Sugar years. It actually took them about 3/4 years, learning a lot from the initial failure of Hoddle and the Pleat caretaker season. After that, we employed Arnesen, had the Jol years, and it's been pretty much upwards ever since. We've had some set backs - I'm not going to claim Chelsea and City getting bought by billionaires as 'bad luck' because that just seems to be the way the world was going - but it did mean for example that Chelsea felt emboldened to poach Arnesen almost to spite us (when else has a club had to have their DOF stolen like a transfer target???) and it meant it was simply harder to compete for the top 4 spots.

I think the strategy has been clear for a long time, it's just taken a while for us to get the guy that Levy was always looking for. But I don't think it is accident that we are in the top 4 where as Everton and West Ham aren't. Is there a reason why we are that much richer than either of them? Or Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Maybe it is Levy's good financial platform that's enabled us to consistently operate at this level, rather than having a couple of good seasons, as those clubs and the likes of Villa have also had, before spiraling back down?

I think it's a harsh reading to say its all other clubs failures. We have done exceptionally well too to make it a genuine top 6. We haven't just scraped into 4th, we've been top 3 for the last 3 seasons and in two of those were the closest genuine title challenger.

I also think it's unfair to say ENIC took 17 years to get us on our feet after the Sugar years. It actually took them about 3/4 years, learning a lot from the initial failure of Hoddle and the Pleat caretaker season. After that, we employed Arnesen, had the Jol years, and it's been pretty much upwards ever since. We've had some set backs - I'm not going to claim Chelsea and City getting bought by billionaires as 'bad luck' because that just seems to be the way the world was going - but it did mean for example that Chelsea felt emboldened to poach Arnesen almost to spite us (when else has a club had to have their DOF stolen like a transfer target???) and it meant it was simply harder to compete for the top 4 spots.

I think the strategy has been clear for a long time, it's just taken a while for us to get the guy that Levy was always looking for. But I don't think it is accident that we are in the top 4 where as Everton and West Ham aren't. Is there a reason why we are that much richer than either of them? Or Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Maybe it is Levy's good financial platform that's enabled us to consistently operate at this level, rather than having a couple of good seasons, as those clubs and the likes of Villa have also had, before spiraling back down?
We've had relative success under Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, AVB and Pochettino. The common denominator is Levy.
Weve also had some of the best players to grace the PL.
And all the while building the best training ground, stadium and cheese room.

Enic and pooch has worked. Enic, with the completion of an NFL capable stadium have turned us into a far more substantial asset than they could have hoped for. Personally I think they should have put a roof on it and gone after the NBA as well;)

Bring in another investor similar to plan with AEG. Pay off some of the loan and invest in the football side, let a manager finally have a go. Daniel and Joe's shares will still be worth more than they could have imagined. Why do we have to wait another 10 years while Enic now pay down some of the crippling loan. And that's assuming they don't plan on continuing to buy up the rest of North London to build further apartments.

If they want to play it safe like Mike Ashley of course you'll always have a core 40000 that'll turn up on a Tuesday to watch us play Cardiff

Everything is just so bloody short sighted, isnt it?

Would Spurs have been happier simply tarting up their ground, giving Pochettino £200m to spend and living for today?

We still would have had to fund that £200m, still would have taken on debt, and would have left ourselves in a position of never growing our revenues to actually compete. So, "NO", would be the answer to that.

FFS a rough few months* and the whole narrative around us is that its all going wrong, will fall apart, and isnt worth it.

*WC hangover, no transfers, stadium delays, injuries, and 2pts a game best ever start to the league. "Rough" also requires some perspective.

In the UK? I doubt it.

Football is the prime sport here, its where the money is. NFL is a novelty.

A smart owner, even one focused on the NFL would know that they have to keep the footy going well while the NFL takes time to take off.
NFL franchise in London ( thats the end game) is automatically profitable

minimum of $255M revenue plus whatever they make locally -
https://www.reuters.com/article/foo...-share-topped-8-billion-in-2017-idUSKBN1K719F

NFL franchise in London ( thats the end game) is automatically profitable

minimum of $255M revenue plus whatever they make locally -
https://www.reuters.com/article/foo...-share-topped-8-billion-in-2017-idUSKBN1K719F

Ive no doubt there is money in it, as I said the NFL is massive.

My thinking was more that there would be games hosted there for a while, trying to build interest/attendance, rather than a franchise just landing.

In my ignorance, thinking the NFL season was a lot more substantial than it is! A slowly slowy sort of growth. Seems, actually, with only 8 or so games, they could just land one tomorrow if the facilities were there, and with that lack of actual games etc, I dont personally see why it would negatively effect the football club. Particularly with the set up we have - Saturday Lunch EPL and Evening NFL is entirely possible.

Slight tangent. Aussie mate of mine explained once why so many Aussies live/work in London. Basically the wages are good, which is a plus - but its also so well connected to Europe they just use it as a base. Earn some money, go travel, come back. Its a port. Flip that on its head and its not hard to see why a London NFL franchise would be a success, if you were French/German/Spanish... and an NFL fan - you could come and make that game. Unlike football I suspect the fan base will be pan-European rather than London centric like Spurs!

My thinking was more that there would be games hosted there for a while, trying to build interest/attendance, rather than a franchise just landing.

In my ignorance, thinking the NFL season was a lot more substantial than it is! A slowly slowy sort of growth. Seems, actually, with only 8 or so games, they could just land one tomorrow if the facilities were there, and with that lack of actual games etc, I dont personally see why it would negatively effect the football club. Particularly with the set up we have - Saturday Lunch EPL and Evening NFL is entirely possible.

Slight tangent. Aussie mate of mine explained once why so many Aussies live/work in London. Basically the wages are good, which is a plus - but its also so well connected to Europe they just use it as a base. Earn some money, go travel, come back. Its a port. Flip that on its head and its not hard to see why a London NFL franchise would be a success, if you were French/German/Spanish... and an NFL fan - you could come and make that game. Unlike football I suspect the fan base will be pan-European rather than London centric like Spurs!

We have aussie relatives, the younger ones were not even born here but still use a Brit passport. But yeah they do similar, stay here and then travel to visit other places around Europe.

I think it is because Australia is in the middle of no where with no culture so they are over whelmed when they get to civilisation.

yeah, I've been to most of the NFL London games and there are always large numbers of europeans on the tube heading to the game

Brexit might change that obviously

Back