• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

How does Rooney continue to get manager jobs? Who in their right mind thinks 'Yes! Rooney is the man to get us success'? His manager career has been one disaster after another.

Made a great start to another manager job, 4-0 defeat for Plymouth.:eek:

Made a great start to another manager job, 4-0 defeat for Plymouth.:eek:
I would love him to do well because he was a magnificent player and actually seems like a fairly genuine fella. But I've never got the sense from him that he has any great insight into the game that would make him a great manager. It's hard to judge that stuff because you see a snapshot of these fellas and I'm not exactly Alex Ferguson either. But I've never found any of his analysis thought provoking.

Can't see this working for him.

I would love him to do well because he was a magnificent player and actually seems like a fairly genuine fella. But I've never got the sense from him that he has any great insight into the game that would make him a great manager. It's hard to judge that stuff because you see a snapshot of these fellas and I'm not exactly Alex Ferguson either. But I've never found any of his analysis thought provoking.

He just said he gave the whole squad a gonading and told them they won't play for the club again if they play like that again... That's just asking for trouble. Especially after only one game!

He was a great player for sure and that is where it ends, they have been one or two top players who have tried there hands in the managers chair but generally they rarely do well. Every thing they do as a player comes easy/natural but they find it hard when working with players who are not as gifted. They are exceptions but most of them struggle when they move into management.

I will add that i am talking about the top rated players not the good ones.

He was a great player for sure and that is where it ends, they have been one or two top players who have tried there hands in the managers chair but generally they rarely do well. Every thing they do as a player comes easy/natural but they find it hard when working with players who are not as gifted. They are exceptions but most of them struggle when they move into management.

It's a different skill set. One doesn't equate to the other.

You'll have far more good to average players compared to world class players. So the likelihood of a wc player becoming a wc manager is very small.

They get more opportunities. Due to their name and who they know. Highlights the club and helps with sponsorship. They've also worked with the best. But converting that to a winning team is a jump.

Yeah I agree 100% and if you listen to the likes of Rooney, Keane, Richards, Carragher and Rio, as examples, I always get the impression that they were in the game for themselves. They'd all have knifed someone else in the back if they thought it would have helped them get ahead. Not that Richards, Carragher or Rio were managers but they all have a very selfish, tunnel vision view of the world where it was all about what they could win. You can't be a manager if you think that selfishly IMO - there is too much of other people's brick that you have to manage.

I also agree that with some of them, Rooney included, he was brilliant but it was based so much on natural talent. He didn't have to think about what made him brilliant in the same way as some other lads had to do it just to improve. That then makes it difficult for the likes of Rooney to elevate others.

It's a different skill set. One doesn't equate to the other.

You'll have far more good to average players compared to world class players. So the likelihood of a wc player becoming a wc manager is very small.

They get more opportunities. Due to their name and who they know. Highlights the club and helps with sponsorship. They've also worked with the best. But converting that to a winning team is a jump.

I agree, one of the biggest problems is that the real top players find playing is a lot easier for them and they struggle to manage lesser players to do what they found easy. Of course they will be exceptions but generally its a struggle for them.

I’ve got a lot of time for Rooney, but yeah, agree with the above, he was a brilliant player who couldn’t tell you why he was brilliant*.

Shearer is the same, they both instinctively knew what to do, but couldn’t explain what or how.

I hope he proves me wrong to be honest, seems like a good egg.

*He clearly worked very hard physically to keep himself in shape. Which was part of it, but he was a phenomenon, and probably doesn’t get the credit he’s due.

So who's at risk at the start of this season in PL?

- Bigger clubs, think the obvious ones are ETH, Maresca and Howe, bad start could put either of them at risk
- Lopetegui and Dyche probably on the could get interesting view, Hurzeler?

So who's at risk at the start of this season in PL?

- Bigger clubs, think the obvious ones are ETH, Maresca and Howe, bad start could put either of them at risk
- Lopetegui and Dyche probably on the could get interesting view, Hurzeler?

Let's be honest, Ange. We were a fudging disgrace in the second half of last season, if that's what we start with it could easily cascade.

Let's be honest, Ange. We were a fudging disgrace in the second half of last season, if that's what we start with it could easily cascade.

Don't see it, first up, our results with a fully fit squad don't align with the "disgrace" comment, second, Gray, Bergvall, VDV, Johnson, Udogie, Sarr, etc. are investments that are really for the future, they will be important this season but they are not buys you make if the expectation is "this season or bust"

If we are 14th in November/December, yes I could see risk, but I think they are other managers that a bad first 6 games would put them under way more pressure

6 more points in first half of season

11 Wins, 3 Draws, 5 Defeats, Goals For 39, Goals Against 28, Goal Diff +11
9 Wins, 3 Draws, 7 Defeats, Goals For 35, Goals Against 33, Goal Diff +2
Thanks, thought I remembered different when people explained why Villa came 4th.

Hardly a 'disastrous collapse of form' though.

Thanks, thought I remembered different when people explained why Villa came 4th.

Hardly a 'disastrous collapse of form' though.
If you took the first 10 games and compared that to the rest of the season, you'd see a massive fall off I reckon. That's not really fair because 10 games is a small sample size and everything went our way. But perception is reality.

I think Ange could find himself under pressure if we start badly and concede a lot particularly from set pieces. The narrative of him being a one trick pony will ramp up. I do believe Levy wants to stick with Ange and that'll give him some leeway but I wouldn't want to be a manager relying on Levy's patience rather than results for too long. Hopefully, we don't get to that point.

Back