• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Liverpool Fan in Peace 2014/15

stuartrdon

Phil Ifil
Hey guys, I'm back :)

Was hoping to collect your views on this weekend's game again like I did last season for our feature "The View From That Lot" on the KopBlocks forum. For anyone new I basically leave the motherland and go out and forage for myself on a forum of the opposition for that coming weekend and ask them questions to guage how they feel about the upcoming match. Having had a look I think you might do something similar? (If so, The guys at KopBlocks are normally very welcoming and a lot less aggressive than 'some other' liverpool forums)

The answers provided last time were brilliant and probably lead to the best one we did last year, although I am going to say that since I wrote it up aren't I?Anyway without further ado:

1. Following your wins against West Ham and (resoundingly) against QPR to get the season started I imagine the general feeling surrounding Pocchettino is majorly positive at the moment, did you feel he was the right man to get the job following last year's Tim Sherwood experiment?
2. A much quieter summer transfer window than last time around. What's been the best bit of business (in or out) done this time around? and what do you still think you need to do before Monday? Which of your year two guys are you looking forward to seeing kick on having had a season to bed themselves in now as well?
3. Who's the one guy at the club who you would pay money to get rid of as well?
4. What were you preseason expectations, and where do you expect to finish in the league and cup competitions?
5. How much extra significance would you like to see the Europa League given this campaign since Champions League qualification follows for the winner?
6. Our squad is much changed since we last met towards the end of last season what are your thoughts on our dealings this summer? Are there any of them you aren't looking forward to be playing against on Sunday?
7. Do you think we can repeat the successes of last season and push for it again or maybe even win the title this year?
8. How do you think you guys will set up on Sunday?
9. And finally, how do you see the game going this weekend? Where will it be won and lost?

Thanks in advance for your replies, looking forward to your answers!

Cheers, Stuart

Hello mate,

Steff here, good to see you. Thanks for reaching out and happy to be a part of this. Answers in bold in quote.

Was hoping to collect your views on this weekend's game again like I did last season for our feature "The View From That Lot" on the KopBlocks forum. For anyone new I basically leave the motherland and go out and forage for myself on a forum of the opposition for that coming weekend and ask them questions to guage how they feel about the upcoming match. Having had a look I think you might do something similar? (If so, The guys at KopBlocks are normally very welcoming and a lot less aggressive than 'some other' liverpool forums)

The answers provided last time were brilliant and probably lead to the best one we did last year, although I am going to say that since I wrote it up aren't I?Anyway without further ado:

1. Following your wins against West Ham and (resoundingly) against QPR to get the season started I imagine the general feeling surrounding Pocchettino is majorly positive at the moment, did you feel he was the right man to get the job following last year's Tim Sherwood experiment?

I wasn't entirely sure but was so desperate to get rid of that total ****ing macaron that I was willing it to happen. Yes. The vibe is excellent. Poch is excellent. I like his style and he keeps his counsel. Class act.

2. A much quieter summer transfer window than last time around. What's been the best bit of business (in or out) done this time around? and what do you still think you need to do before Monday? Which of your year two guys are you looking forward to seeing kick on having had a season to bed themselves in now as well?

Dier is marvelous. So good. I think he will get Schneiderlin personally, but am happy to know he won't whinge in public if he doesn't. As for year two guys? Well, Lamela will take it, he's going to have a great season IMO, and I see signs of a real player in Chadli. Soldado would be nice, there' quality there, but...

Not especially vehement in that regard TBH.

4. What were you preseason expectations, and where do you expect to finish in the league and cup competitions?

Low given what Sherwood had done. Now? Realistically 5th but I sense we could do the top 4 with a bit of luck. Cups? Not sure, haven't thought about it...

5. How much extra significance would you like to see the Europa League given this campaign since Champions League qualification follows for the winner?

We should want to win it to win it, end of.

6. Our squad is much changed since we last met towards the end of last season what are your thoughts on our dealings this summer? Are there any of them you aren't looking forward to be playing against on Sunday?

No, not really. I think you could've signed one player too many, have to say Balo is a great player but a powder keg and I just cannot see him and Rodgers lasting the season without a blow-out. I'd also seriously fear a Sturridge/Balo problem. One thing about Suarez; he was out of control but he had a great rapport with team-mates.

7. Do you think we can repeat the successes of last season and push for it again or maybe even win the title this year?

I wanted you to win it, I think this year will be tougher. No, I don't think you'll win it. Last season was a massive opportunity IMO...

It will be the 4-2-3-1 and I expect some success with it again.

9. And finally, how do you see the game going this weekend? Where will it be won and lost?

Midfield battle will be huge, but I always see Liverpool as a side who come to play football and thus let you play too. I think Lamela is a real key to the game, and if Bentaleb can get hold of the middle early on (he's a fine fine player) let's just say I am not afraid.

Cheers, Stuart

Cheers Stu,
Steffan

I hate when other clubs' fans attempt to give views on Spurs which are as deep as a puddle and just regurgitate the same tired old stereotypes, so I'll try to avoid this with you:

1. Is positive but early days yet. My order of preference was 1. Benitez, 2. De Boer, 3. Poch. I'm happy to elevate Poch to 2nd now, but will wait to see when we're really tested if I was wrong about Rafa being #1. I am heartened by the fact that Poch has taken Levy's direction on board, and working with what we have, whereas I would expect Rafa to have asked for more signings as he tended to do with you guys. If Poch can get the best out of Lamela, Chadli, Capoue as he has already shown, then that's half the job criteria fulfilled.

We haven't had a manager that the fans are 100% on board with since probably Hoddle. I can see Poch having almost universal approval should things continue to go well.

2. Transfers are over-rated. We were always going to struggle after last seasons upheaval. I'm glad we've retained our core this window and if we can go the next 2 seasons with a consistent core of the squad, then we'll do well. The only thing that will get in the way is if some of our players really take off and scum like Real, Chelsea, etc come calling. Am hoping Poch can convince some players to stick around.

3. None I can think of. Some like Paulinho and Soldado probably need a rocket up them, but its too early to make the call.

4. If we did well, we'd finish top 4. It's clearly Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, then the rest. Arsenal probably have rights to 3rd, then an open field. Glad Man U are stumbling and I think we can take you guys. It's wide open, and exciting as a result.

5. We must win. End of.

6. [cliché]You are going to miss Suarez[/cliché] but not because he was such a good player, but because he took the pressure off the others. I'm yet to be convinced if Sturridge isn't just a Sutton to Suarez's Shearer and looked better because no one paid him too much attention. Pressure is on him now to lead the line. I'm not convinced by any of your signings, they'll be decent players potentially, but we thought the same when we signed Bentley, Malbranque, Davis, etc etc etc. I don't think the Balotelli love in will last long. Your fans don't tolerate players who don't give all for the club, I can see it ending in tears, ala Kewell, Morientes, Keane, etc.

7. No. Not just Suarez, but you'll have the Champs League. We had our best season in our shortest ever season - not in Europe and knocked out early in both cups. You had similar (albeit a slightly better cup run). It can be stressed enough the advantage you have with only one trophy to play for. The other comps will be a distraction and you'll need the depth which I'm not sure you'll have. If you make top 4 again with a decent CL run out of the group stages, you should consider it a success, then keep building on that. CL qualification isn't an end in itself, you have to retain it and continue to build. We didn't do that (thank you very much Bayern Munich ****ers) so we're starting again.

8. Too early to see a consistent style of play and if we'll set up different against a team likely to be a tougher challenge. I think the XI we started against QPR with is close to full strength and should be enough to give you a spanking.

9. We can win if we don't give the ball away and gift you goals which we tend to do. Our games are generally unpredictable in that respect, but I'll go with a 2-0 for us and Lamela to prove a handful. The boy is going to be a star.

Last edited:

Tim was never the guy for the long term. question should've been LVG vs Poch, to which I'm glad that Poch's attitude and methods are more suited to the Spurs culture. (LVG and Man U are a match made in heaven)

Looking at the number of purchases last season and the change in managers (3) we screwed up big time. So this season is really about setting up a system of play with Poch, and reviewing all the players old and new alike. Lamela and Eriksen have the most potential at the moment, but eyes on Ade to see if will and can turn up for the game.

I don't think there's any at the moment. The club seems to hire good natured boys as a pre-requisite. As a result, Ade is the most we come close to a prima donna. And he is pretty harmless and relatively inoffenssive compared to whats out there.

This is a year of transition, I'd expect a volatile first half of the season as the players get bedded into poch's system, and consequently a much stronger second half. Top 5 would be realistic seeing as how much Man U are struggling.

Defintely in it to win it.

Not sure if lalana or lambert is really what you need considering your aspirations, but Morena and Markovic are excellent purchases. Two players I'd fear most would be Sterling for his trickery, and Balotelli who has a point to prove (to the world).

Yes though I think you will need to count on your new players settling fast, and the older ones not getting upset as there is going to be a lot of competition.

We're still building and learning so no point being conservative; i'd expect Poch to play the same as in QPR and go for the win. I fear though that we have weaknesses at the back that we have not yet fixed (incoming transfers).

Midfield is going to be very tight. So i suspect that a moment of inspiration from the usual suspects - lamela and eriksen for us, coutinho and sterling for you - would be something to look out for.

Both teams have changed a fair bit (in different ways) I'm expecting some mistakes too.

I was happy with Poch appointment although my first choice was Benitez. Although it's early days, I am really happy about the style of play/ philisophy he is trying to implement and players seem to be enjoying their football.

Best bit of business so far was strengthening in the defense. We have a talented squad already that has been mismanaged for years so I never felt that we needed to make too many signings this summer. Obviously Dier has been great so far but it's important to remember that he is very young and hasn't been properly tested yet. It will be interesting to see how he copes on Sunday. Although I loved Dawson, it was time for him to move on and I hope Kaboul does the same as he is an accident waiting to happen. I think Lamela and Eriksen will have a good season. In regards to new signings, if we can get Schnederlin before the deadline I'll be happy with this summer's transfer activity.

Pay money to get rid of is harsh but I would like Kaboul gone as I think he's past it.

I think we'll be in the mix for top 6 and probably go far in most cups

I would like us to go all out for this one.

I think you've signed too many players and no matter what Rodgers says, you'll be a bit unbalanced this season. Balotelli is a time ticking bomb but when he wants, he is one of the best strikers in Europe. Sterling and Coutinho will be tough to contain but as long as we don't play high def line with Kaboul in the middle, we should be fine.

I think your best chance to win the league was last year. City and Chelsea are too strong this season and you will need some time to gel.

I am guessing 4-2-3-1

Whoever controls the midfield will win the game. I'll go with 2-1 Spurs.

Last edited:

My immediate reaction (when I heard he was a contender) was that we were punching below our weight. Then I read the interview with Morgan Schneiderlin where he goes a lot into detail about how Pochettino coaches his players, and how he wants them to play. I got more convinced after that. He's not really a proved manager, but neither was Brendan Rogers, and you almost won the league last season, so I'm positive about Poch.

How can I not say Eric Dier? The guy's been immense in his first few matches. Looks a steal at this point. I think pretty much every Spurs-fan would love for Erik Lamela and Roberto Soldado to succeed this season. Lamela didn't play much at all last season, but has looked good in pre-season and against QPR. Soldado needs confidence. Hard to tell whether any of them will succeed at this point though.

It's difficult not to say Paulinho. He's been pretty much utter ****e since we signed him. Doesn't look like he wants to play for us. No guts, no skills, doesn't bring a lot to the side. But "pay money to get rid of?" - not really. We're going to get our money back, knowing Daniel Levy. ;)

I'm expecting a top 7 finish. Hopefully we'll have at least one good cup run. Would love to win a cup, obviously, but hard to expect that at this point.

We have been trying to win it all the years we've been in it, I would argue, so I don't think there's going to be much of a motivational change, to be honest. We just haven't been good enough yet.

Glad to see the maniac Suarez leave the Premier League. The Coutinho-Sterling-Sturridge trio is still as dangerous as ever. We need to take them out of the game to have a chance of winning it.

You need to get the Suarez-goals from somewhere. I don't think Balotelli will bring all those goals. But then again, you managed to win matches and score goals without Suarez, so who knows? I would tip you for top 4, but I don't think you're strong enough for another title race, but time will tell.

I'm expecting the same team that played against QPR.

It will be interesting to see how our back four and our defensive midfielders deal with your front three. I think you'll have the edge over us there. The Bentaleb - Capoue combination doesn't have the experience required to keep your lads at bay yet, I'm afraid. I think we'll lose, 2-1.

Last edited:

I think its the most behind a manager this board (at least) has been in a long time. The performance against West Ham wasn't great, but QPR really gave us a feel for what Poch is trying to do, and I think everyone liked the look of that. I thought him and FDB were the two most likely candidates, and was glad we went for him due to prem experience. Although I wouldn't have been dissapointed with FDB either

A new centre half, preferably a world class one. In all honesty, pretty much all of them plus I'd like to see Eriksen really establish himself as one of the top players in the premier league. It frustrates me greatly when people talk about us having 'wasted' so much money when the facts are apart from Eriksen every one of our signings struggled with injuries last year (bar Paulinho who we'll get onto)

Paulinho. He's a brazillian Jermain Jenas without the work rate. Average at everything, good at nothing.

5-6th in the league and a good run in or a win of either of the domestic cups. I'd like us to push to win the Europa as well.

Pretty big, I see it as our best chance of qualifying.

Balotelli if he starts. I honestly wouldn't fear any of your other signings.

I think we are capable of finishing as high as we did last season, but will be suprised if we finish higher.

4 2 3 1. Probably the same team as against QPR.

It's difficult to say so early on in the season. Should be a good game of football though. Midfield battle will be key. Whoever gets hold of it will do well.

Cheers, Stuart

Answers in bold.

Last edited:
so what club do you guys actually support? you don't sound like any Liverpool fan I've ever met, there's not one instance of "no spurs player would even get on our bench" on there

so what club do you guys actually support? you don't sound like any Liverpool fan I've ever met, there's not one instance of "no spurs player would even get on our bench" on there

To be fair mate, it's only a certain strain of liverpool supporter which is like that. Been to see us at Anfield many times in my life and always had a great day out with some really fine people. All the scousers I know are very reasonable…well, bar two I know!

I've heard that, however my personal experience suggests that rawk is a fair reflection, even the ones I know who've never set foot outside of Gloucestershire refer to everyone as "lad"

it's worth a look on occasion because they are so bat**** crazy, they all toed the line over Suarez/Evra and anyone who suggested that maybe he did have a case to answer was put on post mod or outright banned

the lack of scale is also amusing, when lovren scored it was suddenly the "best cb in the world opens his Liverpool account"

Have you realised how much stupid **** people say on this website? With Premier league clubs and pretty much all football clubs, irregardless of where the club is geographically based, you're going to have stupid fans. That tends to get magnified on the internet. But to see some stupid fans of a football club, and assume that all fans are the same is essentially the mentality that causes wars in my opinion. It's fun to stereotype and fun to hate a certain demographic rather than see people as people.

As usual one dingdonghead pops up in the end. Your boy asks a question, we give an opinion. Do **** off.

Back