• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Do you think Grealish could have done this for us?
I know a lot of people don't rate him, but for me I would have built the team around him similar to his role at Villa.

That's the problem. Gallagher, Rice, Bellingham = zero creativity
Hard to say. A younger Grealish, maybe. The current one - I can't say. I think the FA has to look at how young players are developed and what happens between U17 level and U21 levels.

I know a lot of people don't rate him, but for me I would have built the team around him similar to his role at Villa.

Just need to see how England managers treated Hoddle, on here we regularly had people moaning Eriksen didn't tackle or head the ball, we prize effort. I love to see skillful, intelligent players and realise all the talent in the world needs to be backed up with effort but it's not the prime attribute to look for.

The fans who make massive sacrifices to follow their team in major tournaments all around the world and all they want along with all the fans at home is to watch an England team who on paper should be one of the most positive attacking teams we've ever had play sideways, backwards, boring, turgid football due the manager's brick tactics and ridiculous stubborn team selections

fudge him he deserves the pelters

It’s not a massive sacrifice, it’s a holiday.

The issue is the players. If it was tactical Cole Palmer wouldn’t have been playing the way he did.

Most of them are overrated brick.

You need more than that though IMO. They need a midfielder in the Modric/Xavi mould who can dictate a game and get those lads playing. This is why James McClean's analysis of Declan Rice wasn't actually too far wide of the mark.

It was the same in 2006 when you had lads like Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rooney yet they were still bloody ordinary to watch.
Wharton has being doing it for Crystal Palace but Southgate is afraid to give him a chance. He'd rather stick to those that are defensive.
Mainoo was one of the few bright spots for Utd this season, he can also play that role. I think both of these will be top players and are already better at that role than anyone else in the England squad. Southgate being afraid to use players and being too stubborn doesn't mean that the players aren't there.

Each of those people play in clubs with non-English world class quality midfielders. England doesn't have the kind of midfielders. Palmer, Gordon are meh players at international level. You are overhyping them. Southgate has been pragmatic. It is the same crap I heard when people said Alli is as good a playmaker as Eriksen, or Madisson can do what Eriksen does or Foden can do what De Bruyne does. They can't. I don't know what happens when these players grow up but they don't have it. I am not afraid of a team at the international level with Saka, Palmer, Gordon and Foden. Kane and Bellingham are your only offensive class players. Stop using EPL performances to judge quality of player. I dare say Ndombele would give England's midfield more creativity than it has now. That is how other nations view your team.
It's not my team. And your view of the England team doesn't cover how other nations view them. If you don't think Foden is a top player then I'll bow out of this discussion.

Last edited:

That was never his role at Villa. His role was to get the ball high up the pitch and fall over.

Wharton has being doing it for Crystal Palace but Southgate is afraid to give him a chance. He'd rather stick to those that are defensive.
Mainoo was one of the few bright spots for Utd this season, he can also play that role. I think both of these will be top players and are already better at that role than anyone else in the England squad. Southgate being afraid to use players and being too stubborn doesn't mean that the players aren't there.
Mainoo was bright because United were brick. He played in a midfield that allowed the highest shots against of any team in top flight football in Europe
He really isn’t the answer if we want to control a game IMO.
Wharton is the answer but that would mean not starting a more established player and be won’t do that

Just need to see how England managers treated Hoddle, on here we regularly had people moaning Eriksen didn't tackle or head the ball, we prize effort. I love to see skillful, intelligent players and realise all the talent in the world needs to be backed up with effort but it's not the prime attribute to look for.
Where do we think an England manager would play modric?

Mainoo was bright because United were brick. He played in a midfield that allowed the highest shots against of any team in top flight football in Europe
He really isn’t the answer if we want to control a game IMO.
Wharton is the answer but that would mean not starting a more established player and be won’t do that
I'd also go with Wharton, but Mainoo would be my second option. He's a young player that stood out in a dysfunctioning team and with a manager that doesn't look like he has a plan for how they should play, so wouldn't hold how Utd performed overall against him.

Where do we think an England manager would play modric?

Any decent manager would see they have a diamond and let him play his game, he like all great players find space and know what they are going to do with the ball before they get him. Foden could be a Modric if he was allowed to play in the middle, he dominated games in that position at international youth level and was the driving force when England won the World Cup at his age level.

Any decent manager would see they have a diamond and let him play his game, he like all great players find space and know what they are going to do with the ball before they get him. Foden could be a Modric if he was allowed to play in the middle, he dominated games in that position at international youth level and was the driving force when England won the World Cup at his age level.
Other nations build around and make the most of their elite players, England don't, they appear to have an attitude that these players are so good they can play anywhere in any system.

Look at what we are bringing on in games, a kid from United nobody had heard of 3 months ago, a fat lad from West Ham, and the work experience kid from Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Next up, someone who plays for Palace. Crystal Palace.

The quality just isn't there. Championship level players from Championship level clubs.

I'd also go with Wharton, but Mainoo would be my second option. He's a young player that stood out in a dysfunctioning team and with a manager that doesn't look like he has a plan for how they should play, so wouldn't hold how Utd performed overall against him.
Did he really stand out?
Genuine question
I think if he wasn’t new and young he wouldn’t have an immediate rep. That’s not to say he isn’t good and won’t get better but if he had stood out for me the impact of him playing would have been more noticeable. He was great in the cup final but one off games against rivals anyone can up their game
He got completely outclassed against Wharton when they played palace.

Football is dominated by systems, as its simpler to organise the defensive side of the game most teams play defensively. England current system appears to be leave Kane up top (the big mug can't understand this) with two wide players 30 yards away from him (who do not cross the ball), 2 midfield players protecting the centrebacks (usually 40 yards away from Kane and wide players) creating loads of space for Bellingham to cover. As our passing is dreadful players rarely make a positive movement. We end up playing a slow over cautious game, turning over possession when moving forward. I would never pretend to be an expert on management or coaching but it's so obvious the problems with this system and feel we couldn't do any worse by just telling the players to go out and do what they think is right. The only problem then is whether the players can play without being told exactly what to do.

Did he really stand out?
Genuine question
I think if he wasn’t new and young he wouldn’t have an immediate rep. That’s not to say he isn’t good and won’t get better but if he had stood out for me the impact of him playing would have been more noticeable. He was great in the cup final but one off games against rivals anyone can up their game
He got completely outclassed against Wharton when they played palace.
A good few times I've seen him play he was their best player. Could be a case of the new shiny toy colouring my judgement but I think he will be a top player.

Back