• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Hear ****ing hear =D>

Why is it such a radical line of thinking that the manager picks the players and the DOF basically just negotiates the deal and spots players for the manager to take a look and not thrust them upon him? I was not AVB's biggest fan and I never hid that fact, but people said he had to go as his relationship with Levy deteriorated so drastically, can you really blame the guy when less than half of the 7 S Club players we signed were not even his choice?

Though I agree that a DoF doesn't work AVB said a couple of weeks before we appointed Baldini that he'd rather have a DoF because he works better under it. So for him to now argue he didn't want them just makes him look a fool.

EDIT: Found the article I was on about: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/17/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-technical-director

Heres the key bit:

"The chairman and I have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structures and, hopefully, the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side – a technical director," Villas-Boas said. "Hopefully we can take those steps forward. It's not up to me to confirm anything.

"The most important thing is the relationship between the person that bridges the gap between manager and board, and that he is able to be focused on the technical side of things. [It should be] someone who has experience of dressing rooms, represents the club, and is able to link up with players and agents."

Villas-Boas made it clear that he was fully supportive of the appointment, and he suggested that he might be more comfortable purely as coach, who could concentrate on work on the training pitch.

"I think of a more European style of structure, of a head coach and then the functions of a manager will be handed up to a different person," Villas-Boas said. "It's something that works. Since the first day, I told the club that it's somebody who is extremely important."

Last edited:
the issue isn't who negotiates, but who has control of over player purchase. who's the fool ?

- if levy insisted on buying 7 players to hedge the bets instead of focusing on the 2-3 that the coach wanted then Levy's it
- if the DOF insists he has better performing and value players and thrusts him players he thinks would work then Baldini's it (converse for selling applies)
- if Poch seeked out and authorised all those players and Baldini only negotiated, then Poch's the Fool.
- if its a long drawn discussion by committe and vote where decisions and accountability gets diluted, then ultimately you still have to blame Levy for a management structure that doesn't work

as far as I know, no one knows how decisions are made across the three, nothing can be confirmed as yet.

a dof's influence takes time, remember how comolli was chased out of town with pitch forks for all that crap he made us buy, Benni, modric, bale etc

For me the biggest concern has been the players we have released and I don't mean the superstars like Modric and Bale (and inevitably Lloris) but the likes of Dawson, Parker, Huddlestone, Dempsey and Defoe.

Each one of these would go straight into our first XI at the moment not because they are as technically gifted as their replacements (Fazio, Capoue, Dembele, eriksen, soldado) but because they know the PL and were more effective.

It's the scattergun liquorice all sorts (with no PL experience) that's killing us the moment and Baldini must be responsible.

DOF out. Tried repeatedly doesn't work. Too many cooks. Lack of accountability. Etc

So, the three teams at the top of the EPL don't have DoFs then (Emenalo, Reed and Begiristain)?

a dof's influence takes time, remember how comolli was chased out of town with pitch forks for all that crap he made us buy, Benni, modric, bale etc

Exactly. Their focus is by definition 1-3 years into the future.

Musa Yahaya, Ismail Azzaoui and Rares Lazar‏ are the type of signings that will determine Baldini's legacy.

So, the three teams at the top of the EPL don't have DoFs then (Emenalo, Reed and Begiristain)?

Musa Yahaya, Ismail Azzaoui and Rares Lazar‏ are the type of signings that will determine Baldini's legacy.

Well someone has changed there tune, now the director of football is just a glorified youth scout. Nothing about the first team signings now then.

Also this bluff about them over seeing other areas of the club, it may or may not be true. But I know for a fact that the medical staff have to give a report to the board. It is not like the board just sit there waiting for one person to tell them what is going on.

I would love to be proved wrong and for the director of football to be a success, I would not be happier to be proved wrong because it would mean Spurs were doing well. But I think some are so obsessed with the director of football they would stick by it even when it is obvious it is not the answer.

So GB you're now saying a DOF has mo responsibility in regards to first team signings? just youth.

What a great job that must be then. The only job in the world where you may or may not be punished...3 or so years later after already spending a large chunk of company £££.

Calm down.

Also if you have a problem with my posts or me why not direct them to the mods or to me directly through PM's.

Kind regards, ben.

Perfectly calm, old bean. My request for an explanation when you did it to me went unanswered.

And if you want to use the R word at other contributors, maybe you'll follow your own advice?.

I'll add hypocrite to my earlier.

You mean Begiristain who has wasted pretty much all of the money he's spent so far?

I'm not saying a DoF CAN'T work, but it doesn't appear to be working for us. Certainly not this clown who is currently in charge.

What would people think to sacking Baldini and appointing Poch's man - Nicola Cortese?

A banker/businessman/CEO (the David Dein/Rick Parry/Paul Kenyon model), rather than a footballing man?

What would people think to sacking Baldini and appointing Poch's man - Nicola Cortese?

A banker/businessman/CEO (the David Dein/Rick Parry/Paul Kenyon model), rather than a footballing man?

Dein did an amazing job at Arsenal, they have'nt been the same since he left the club

Back