• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Credit card scam? Someone applying for credit cards with my email

Daisuk

Dimitar Berbatov
Over the past half hour I've received three confirmation emails from various banks (Amex, Bank of America, Chase) that I've successfully applied for a credit card. With both Amex and Bank of America the name of the applier is "Paramjit Kaur", which isn't my name.

Beyond being annoying, what could possibly go wrong here? What would anyone gain by using my email adress to sign up for credit card applications? They might have access to my email somehow, which of course is alarming (although there aren't any signs of that, exactly), so I need to change my password when I get back home from work - but beyond possibly having access to my email, what is possibly going on here? Why are someone using my email address for signing up for cred card applications, and using their own or possibly someone else's name? I just fail to see why that would benefit someone or possibly scam me somehow.

I've googled a bit, but have only found instances where applications have included people's real names and addresses, which isn't the case so far here.

Over the past half hour I've received three confirmation emails from various banks (Amex, Bank of America, Chase) that I've successfully applied for a credit card. With both Amex and Bank of America the name of the applier is "Paramjit Kaur", which isn't my name.

Beyond being annoying, what could possibly go wrong here? What would anyone gain by using my email adress to sign up for credit card applications? They might have access to my email somehow, which of course is alarming (although there aren't any signs of that, exactly), so I need to change my password when I get back home from work - but beyond possibly having access to my email, what is possibly going on here? Why are someone using my email address for signing up for cred card applications, and using their own or possibly someone else's name? I just fail to see why that would benefit someone or possibly scam me somehow.

I've googled a bit, but have only found instances where applications have included people's real names and addresses, which isn't the case so far here.
You sure they were actually indeed from the stated banks (and not a spoof). I’m wondering if it’s a phishing style attack to subsequently get you to change/reconfirm your actual details to them.

You sure they were actually indeed from the stated banks (and not a spoof). I’m wondering if it’s a phishing style attack to subsequently get you to change/reconfirm your actual details to them.

Very possible - dont click on anything in the email. Contact the bank via its website and take it from there.

Last edited:

Yeah, I was also thinking along those lines, but none of the mails really prompted me to click any links or ask me for any details. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to be a problem (yet).
But thanks, guys, really appreciate the feedback! :)

Back