• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League thread 2013/14

Who has not been convincing in the business end of the season.

Lopez does not make miracle like a Courtois or a Lloris does

Big 45 mins for Ancelotti now

There are better goalkeepers for Real Madrid to go for than Lloris, lets be realistic. Someone calling Casillas overrated in this thread. Lloris is just as overrated. Mainly by Spurs fans though.

Why is that funny? To get 10 seasons out of two players plus 110 million profit is pretty good.

Bale's 6 year stint certainly wasn't a bad innings. The only players who have hung around longer than him are still here because they know the next stop is Sunderland or West Ham.

As soon as a chance to escape presented itself, they stamped their feet, threw their toys out of the pram and refused to play.

Each of the players were excellent for us, helping us each season and thrilling fans, however, to call them good servants...

If you had a girlfriend who was with you a few months, and then went after the next guy to flutter their eyes at her, would you still be full of praise for her?

Yes, that analogy isn't quite spot on but it does sum it up to an extent.

Modric, in particular, was so eager to escape.

Sometimes it would be good to find a player that wants to play for us.

Any player that can't wait to jump ship, as soon as a chance elsewhere arises, can barely be called a good servant.

As soon as a chance to escape presented itself, they stamped their feet, threw their toys out of the pram and refused to play.

Each of the players were excellent for us, helping us each season and thrilling fans, however, to call them good servants...

If you had a girlfriend who was with you a few months, and then went after the next guy to flutter their eyes at her, would you still be full of praise for her?

Any player that can't wait to jump ship, as soon as a chance elsewhere arises, can barely be called a good servant.

We are a stepping stone to the best players' ultimate destination. That is the reality of football and our current position in the pecking order.

I presume thats a two way street? You'll be happy to see Chadli play for Spurs for the next 13 years regardless of performances?

I also assume then that you married the first girl you ever went out with, and have never, ever broken up with a girl?

If that is the case, then fair enough.

We are a stepping stone to the best players' ultimate destination. That is the reality of football and our current position in the pecking order.

Agreed. Why would you stay at this joke of a club when you can go and play for one of the worlds biggest clubs, fight for league titles, win honors and play in a Champions League final. I understand why Modric and Bale left, they were going to always leave, I have their were unfulfilled promises made to them and were told they could leave if we didn't achieve so and so.

I don't condone the way Modric "refused" to play in the opening of 2011/12 but he came through that and had one of, if not his best season in a Spurs shirt that year, got us to fourth and who knows, MAY have stayed if we ended up getting in the Champions League. Bale on the other hand was different, he never REFUSED to play for us in a competitive game, did he have an injury? Who knows. He is in a different bracket though to Modric, he is genuinely a world class game changing footballer, one in the same mould as Ronaldo, Messi etc. (not of the same ability, just the way they can win games for their clubs) - he was NEVER going to stay with us last year.

No, but I wouldn't describe myself as the ideal boyfriend; something which would also be said of me by many of my exes.

I agree with the Chadli sentiment but again, no one is making any wild accusations as 'good servant' again here. So whilst I understand the comparisons, they're both missing that term and so, consequently, they don't stick.

Ledley King was a good servant for us. I'd say that Michael Dawson is another.

Agreed. Why would you stay at this joke of a club when you can go and play for one of the worlds biggest clubs, fight for league titles, win honors and play in a Champions League final. I understand why Modric and Bale left, they were going to always leave, I have their were unfulfilled promises made to them and were told they could leave if we didn't achieve so and so.

I don't condone the way Modric "refused" to play in the opening of 2011/12 but he came through that and had one of, if not his best season in a Spurs shirt that year, got us to fourth and who knows, MAY have stayed if we ended up getting in the Champions League. Bale on the other hand was different, he never REFUSED to play for us in a competitive game, did he have an injury? Who knows. He is in a different bracket though to Modric, he is genuinely a world class game changing footballer, one in the same mould as Ronaldo, Messi etc. (not of the same ability, just the way they can win games for their clubs) - he was NEVER going to stay with us last year.

If Bale never refused to play for us then why didn't he play this season? I'm not naive enough to believe the injury story.

If Bale never refused to play for us then why didn't he play this season? I'm not naive enough to believe the injury story.

Injured? Wasn't he injured at beginning of his Madrid career too? Missed a few Wales games too. Or did he go the full hog and "pretend" to be injured for them too to make it seem all real?

No, but I wouldn't describe myself as the ideal boyfriend; something which would also be said of me by many of my exes.

I agree with the Chadli sentiment but again, no one is making any wild accusations as 'good servant' again here. So whilst I understand the comparisons, they're both missing that term and so, consequently, they don't stick.

Ledley King was a good servant for us. I'd say that Michael Dawson is another.

OK, if you think describing a player who for played for Spurs for 6 seasons and was arguably our best player since 1990 as a good servant is a 'wild accusation', then we obviously ascribe different values to a simple adjective.

I'd describe King as being slightly more than a 'good' servant.

Maybe this is all semantics.

Injured? Wasn't he injured at beginning of his Madrid career too? Missed a few Wales games too. Or did he go the full hog and "pretend" to be injured for them too to make it seem all real?

I don't know. I can understand that if all that is true, then perhaps I'm wrong. :oops: there is a chance that Bale was left out to adapt and whilst all this was taking place but I realise that this is starting to look more of a lame conspiracy theory than anything else.

I just remember people talking at the time that Bale wasn't actually injured.

I can see Marcelo coming on for Coentrao and then Isco on for Bale. Although personally, I'd keep Bale on just because of the engine he has, we know he can go well into the game and be full pelt, especially if the game ends up going to extra time.

OK, if you think describing a player who for played for Spurs for 6 seasons and was arguably our best player since 1990 as a good servant is a 'wild accusation', then we obviously ascribe different values to a simple adjective.

I'd describe King as being slightly more than a 'good' servant.

Maybe this is all semantics.

King is a legend. Maybe it's the inclusion of the word 'servant' which twists the thinking.

I am a bit bitter that he left and that we were left with little chance of ever seeing a player deliver performances to those levels again. The bright light at White Hart Lane and he didn't really want to be here. It's sad that players use us as a stepping stone and that we never find players who love the club as much as we do. Perhaps I'm just an idealist, rather than a realist. :(

Well there's not doubt that his lack of pre season game time affected his early days at Real Madrid, i.e. he was unfit. At the time I don't really remember anyone from the club claiming he was injured asides from the buttock injury, was all very hush hush and just makes me think he wasn't really injured. We'll never of course unless someone from the club writes a book and references it but that's what I believe is the most likely chain of events.

Back