• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anyone remember that Bale chap?

Agreed. He should be a superstar of his club, he should be the maim man, but that was never ever going to happen at Madrid when his role is simply to be Ronaldo's "fluffer".

No sympathy though. Real Madrid is a vulgar monster with a toxic fanbase, and he is happy to suckle on their teet. I said from the very start that his time their will be short lived. Ronaldo has too many years left in him for Bale to wait around to be "the" man.

Probably the most mental club I have ever seen in the sense that they have sacked bosses for ONLY winning the league and treat a Champions League final hero as a villain.

Other than watching this unrealistic brand of football, in that I mean having those stars isn't a real reflection of the game, other than that their fans know little about football I find, their knowledge extends to "I support Real Madrid"

Inside Line: Manchester United Might Want Gareth Bale, but They Won't Get Him | Bleacher Report
Why do we keep reading about Manchester United's desire to sign Gareth Bale? Two words: Ed Woodward.

United's executive vice-chairman has a plan. It's not anything original, but it is certainly grandiose. Woodward's calculation is that spending big earns big in the modern football market. Specifically, spending big on the big-name players.

When Woodward watches Cristiano Ronaldo, he sees commercial revenue. And what propelled Woodward from his 2005 role helping the Glazer family with United's “financial planning” to his appointment as the club's chief executive in 2013 was an impressive ability to inflate commercial cash flow.

Under his stewardship, the club has landed record shirt sponsorship and kit deals and so many global, regional, media and financial “partners” they can't even be shown on a single page of the official website.

There is no question that Manchester United sells and that Woodward has succeeded in selling it like no one before him. When it comes to buying, however, the 43-year-old chartered accountant is rather more derivative. Think Real Madrid. Think Galactico. Think of Woodward as a wannabe Florentino Perez.

...As for Bale, he doesn't appear too enamoured with the idea of swapping the summit of European football for a club still struggling to keep Southampton below them and return to the Champions League.

“I am very happy in Madrid, a city, a climate and a club that I love,” Bale told Dubai TV a fortnight ago (via the Independent). “My contract ends in 2019, and I could sign a renewal. It has been a fantastic year for me. I wanted to come to Real Madrid to win titles and work alongside the best players and that is exactly what I have done in a single year.”

Can we expect to see Bale at the biggest club in the world? Yes. He's already there.

just a bit of hyperbole

i do think he is great though and will be at that level in the not to distant future

I think people often forget how young he is and how quickly he's risen to this level.

Now I know there's no guarantee that he will continue to improve at that rate, but if he does he'll be in the far distance ahead of those two in a few years.

They luck a random rumour out on MOTD2 last night. Bale for De Gea plus cash. If he comes back to England OT is his likely destination IMO

I think people often forget how young he is and how quickly he's risen to this level.

Now I know there's no guarantee that he will continue to improve at that rate, but if he does he'll be in the far distance ahead of those two in a few years.

agreed, bearing in mind his age, both current and potential ability he's probably the highest value player in the game right now (image rights notwithstanding)

Bale is 25 now yes? Messi and Ronaldo were scoring 30+ league goals a season by that age so he has a lot to live up to. I personally don't see him getting close to what those two achieve. He'd have to score better than a goal a game for multiple seasons to match them.

Bale is a great player, but he's never going to be in the realm of Messi and Ronaldo, who are two of the greatest players of all time.

Bale is 25, Messi is 27, Ronaldo is 29 (almost 30).

For a bit of perspective, when Ronaldo was 25 he hit 40 league goals in 34 league games for Madrid. Season before, he got 26 in 29. Season before that, he was at Utd and got 18 in 33 (league). Season before that he was 22 years of age and scored 31 goals in 34 games (league) for Utd. When he was 21, he hit 17 league goals in 34 league games for Utd. In all games for Real Madrid so far, he has 288 goals in 276 games!

And then there's Messi...when Messi was 25, he scored 46 league goals in 32 league games for Barca. The season before, he got 50 (!) league goals in 37 league games. 31 in 33 and 34 in 35 in the previous 2 league seasons. When he was 21, he got 23 league goals in 31 league games. In all games for Barca, he has 382 goals in 451 games. Phenomenal!

As good as Bale is, it's pretty much impossible for him to hit the heights of those two players, as they were doing it from the age of 21 and haven't let up ever since. That's no pop at Bale, but those other two are just out of this world goal-scorers. Unrivalled consistency.

*edit*

Just as a side note. Since Ronaldo joined Madrid in the 09-10 season (he was 24 and Messi was 22)), Messi has played 187 league games and scored 208 league goals! Ronaldo has played 182 league games for Madrid and scored 205 league goals!

Last edited:
One proviso though. Bale's current role in the Madrid side is mainly to support Ronaldo or maybe complement him but never to outshine him. That just would not do. So long as he remembers his place, Ronaldo will be happy to play alongside him.

Otherwise all hell would break loose.

However Bale doubtless knows his time will come, that is when we'll start to see what he's really made of.

Bale is 25 now yes? Messi and Ronaldo were scoring 30+ league goals a season by that age so he has a lot to live up to. I personally don't see him getting close to what those two achieve. He'd have to score better than a goal a game for multiple seasons to match them.

Agreed on this. With overall career achievements there's no comparison, Cronaldo and Messi will be far, far ahead of him (and most other players).

I do think Bale has the potential to peak at a level close to or equal to those two though. But He'll need to reach that level and play there consistently for many years to be considered in the Cronaldo/Messi category. I think at the (optimistic) maximum we might see two-three seasons of that consistent level from Bale.

it's a team sport don't forget, those individual scoring records are impressive yes, but lets see how many European Cups they all end up with

Agreed on this. With overall career achievements there's no comparison, Cronaldo and Messi will be far, far ahead of him (and most other players).

I do think Bale has the potential to peak at a level close to or equal to those two though. But He'll need to reach that level and play there consistently for many years to be considered in the Cronaldo/Messi category. I think at the (optimistic) maximum we might see two-three seasons of that consistent level from Bale.

Different players, different expectations, different circumstances.

He will never get near a Ronaldo record as long as Ronaldo is at the club, Real Madrid fans should celebrate the fact they have both and Ronaldo is still the main man and has a great support act in Bale.

Bales price tag was down to our value of him, more than comparisons to Ronaldo.

Just as a side note. Since Ronaldo joined Madrid in the 09-10 season (he was 24 and Messi was 22)), Messi has played 187 league games and scored 208 league goals! Ronaldo has played 182 league games for Madrid and scored 205 league goals!

That is just ****ing mental..

Bale plays for Ronaldo Madrid - he'll never his those numbers there.

If Ronaldo left and they replaced their "Give the ball to/make space for Ronaldo" tactic with "Give the ball to/make space for Bale" I think he could do it.

Like others have said not saying Bale is at the level of Ronaldo or Messi yet but the way Real is set up now it is all around Ronaldo (as it should be tbf) If Bale was given the free role Ronaldo has I am sure he would have twice the amount of goals he gets now

Back