• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

I notice the polarising has moved on from those not being delighted with Redknapp to those that aren't unhappy with AVB. Why this need to create camps?

I keep reading some absolute crap about excuses and how anything but top 4 is a failure and I almost can't be bothered to respond anymore. These aren't excuses, they are facts. We've suffered with injuries, especially at the back. We've lost players that were integral to the first XI and important characters in the squad. We have a lot of new players and are promoting youth to the first team, a settling in process that has not been helped by injuries to some of our most experienced players. Oh, and we are currently joint 4th and the third highest scoring team in the league.

You don't think missing Parker, Kaboul and BAE while trying to integrate Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton and Lloris, constantly having to reshuffle our defence every time someone gets injured, means we might struggle at times?

I could go on, but now I got bored. Besides, I seriously doubt it will make any difference.

I can only speak for myself, but what I've noticed is it is the inconsistency in the way some posters react to events that is the problem. That inconsistency drives people up the wall and petty arguments ensue as a result.

The biggest example of this forum is Lloris and Friedel. Rather than rejoicing in the fact we have two excellent keepers you had a set of posters desperate for Lloris to be in the team took every opportunity to blame Friedel for everything, even when it was clearly not Friedel's fault on MOST occassions. Lloris comes into the team, makes a couple of mistakes and those same posters still blame Friedel! or make excuses for Lloris rather than have the same so called objectivity they had towards Friedel. Bottom line is Lloris and Friedel can make an identical mistake and certain posters will be outraged by Friedel's mistake whilst justifying it was OK for Lloris to make an identical mistake. As I said, I can't speak for others but I that is what winds me up the most.

I'm happy with how we're doing generally and certainly didn't think we'd be this high up (saying that i do feel AVB has experienced a great deal of luck since being here that other managers didn't experience). Injuries haven't helped either and i'm of the opinion that a top 6 finish this season is something i won't be disappointed about all things considered. 4th is still a real possibility as our rivals for that spot are all around the same level.

What's i'm extremely disappointed with is our home performances. I've actually never seen us play as bad as this (maybe the Pleat era). Getting completley outplayed by lesser teams at the Lane is totally unnaceptable regardless of who the manager lost in the summer, who he didn't sign etc etc etc. The lesser teams have inferior players in near enough every position but have tactically shown us up...AT HOME. In terms of tactics AVB hasn't been too impressive......although saying that i do like how we look away generally.

I can only speak for myself, but what I've noticed is it is the inconsistency in the way some posters react to events that is the problem. That inconsistency drives people up the wall and petty arguments ensue as a result.

The biggest example of this forum is Lloris and Friedel. Rather than rejoicing in the fact we have two excellent keepers you had a set of posters desperate for Lloris to be in the team took every opportunity to blame Friedel for everything, even when it was clearly not Friedel's fault on MOST occassions. Lloris comes into the team, makes a couple of mistakes and those same posters still blame Friedel! or make excuses for Lloris rather than have the same so called objectivity they had towards Friedel. Bottom line is Lloris and Friedel can make an identical mistake and certain posters will be outraged by Friedel's mistake whilst justifying it was OK for Lloris to make an identical mistake. As I said, I can't speak for others but I that is what winds me up the most.

Nail on head. It's fudging annoying and rather pathetic.

I'm happy with how we're doing generally and certainly didn't think we'd be this high up (saying that i do feel AVB has experienced a great deal of luck since being here that other managers didn't experience). Injuries haven't helped either and i'm of the opinion that a top 6 finish this season is something i won't be disappointed about all things considered. 4th is still a real possibility as our rivals for that spot are all around the same level.

What's i'm extremely disappointed with is our home performances. I've actually never seen us play as bad as this (maybe the Pleat era). Getting completley outplayed by lesser teams at the Lane is totally unnaceptable regardless of who the manager lost in the summer, who he didn't sign etc etc etc. The lesser teams have inferior players in near enough every position but have tactically shown us up...AT HOME. In terms of tactics AVB hasn't been too impressive......although saying that i do like how we look away generally.

I agree with this. The performances HAVE to improve if we want top four this year because if we keep playing average then the favourable results will stop. Reminds me a lot of the 2002/03 season. Halfway through the season we were doing OK and in the mix for the top four. Had only lost 6 games (and back then that was a rare thing!). But we had played really poorly all season. Second half of the season we collapsed, but in reality the performances in that second half of the season were no worse than the first half of the season. We just run out of lady luck.

Who knows what will happen as the season goes on, he may be able to play Ekotto, Kaboul and a fully fit Ade more often, now would that be lucky or would it be running out of luck :-k

Who knows what will happen as the season goes on, he may be able to play Ekotto, Kaboul and a fully fit Ade more often, now would that be lucky or would it be running out of luck :-k

We aren't the only club with injury problems. Last year we had bad injury problems too at times of the season and yes it did cost us, but if you look at other teams last year they also had bad injury problems. Same applies to this year. Our injury problems aren't too bad.

But for sure the quality of players is naturally going to make a huge difference. But what I feel we are lacking is the ability to retain the ball, contain teams through possession. Parker's return may help that, but I doubt he'll get much game time and he may even be gone in January. I don't think Ade, Kaboul or Ekotto will fix what is currently wrong. Ade is inconsistent (look at his form post Xmas last year as a good example) and Kaboul/Ekotto don't play in positions that can effect the game like that.

I have a sneaky feeling that Kaboul may not even get back in the side when he finally does return to fitness.....

We aren't the only club with injury problems. Last year we had bad injury problems too at times of the season and yes it did cost us, but if you look at other teams last year they also had bad injury problems. Same applies to this year. Our injury problems aren't too bad.

But for sure the quality of players is naturally going to make a huge difference. But what I feel we are lacking is the ability to retain the ball, contain teams through possession. Parker's return may help that, but I doubt he'll get much game time and he may even be gone in January. I don't think Ade, Kaboul or Ekotto will fix what is currently wrong. Ade is inconsistent (look at his form post Xmas last year as a good example) and Kaboul/Ekotto don't play in positions that can effect the game like that.

I have a sneaky feeling that Kaboul may not even get back in the side when he finally does return to fitness.....

That's an interesting view - why do you think that?

That's an interesting view - why do you think that?

I know he made a mistake against Everton, but I think Caulker is really staking a claim for a starting place in our strongest XI. I can't see Vertonghen making way so I think when Kaboul comes back he may well have to play the waiting game to a Caulker/Vertonghen partnership.

Of course all teams have injuries, but considering Kaboul and Benny have missed most of the season and we were without Dembele and Ade for long periods i do not think we have been lucky.

Having Dembele fit will help with the possession and both Kaboul and Benny will strengthen our defense and will allow Jan to play CB which will also help. Whatever you think of Ade he will also help with the possession.

I know he made a mistake against Everton, but I think Caulker is really staking a claim for a starting place in our strongest XI. I can't see Vertonghen making way so I think when Kaboul comes back he may well have to play the waiting game to a Caulker/Vertonghen partnership.

Hmmm...I wonder whether against certain 'up and at em' teams like Stoke whether Kaboul will be seen as gthe new Dawson for us, and more able to deal with those type of aerial, physical threats

Of course all teams have injuries, but considering Kaboul and Benny have missed most of the season and we were without Dembele and Ade for long periods i do not think we have been lucky.

Having Dembele fit will help with the possession and both Kaboul and Benny will strengthen our defense and will allow Jan to play CB which will also help. Whatever you think of Ade he will also help with the possession.

I think perhaps Verts at CB more than anyone might help; I cite the 1st 15 mins at Arsenal when he was bery composed at bringing the ball out and genrally very comfortabke with posession

I think its fair to say that we haven't played well this year and yet still got results. The reason we have not played well may be down to the absence of certain players (I don't agree with that, but that is because my favoured first XI doesn't feature them with the exception of Ekotto), but my point is that with the resources at our disposal we have not played well and got results. Do you disagree? Have you been happy with the performances?

I think its fair to say that we haven't played well this year and yet still got results. The reason we have not played well may be down to the absence of certain players (I don't agree with that, but that is because my favoured first XI doesn't feature them with the exception of Ekotto), but my point is that with the resources at our disposal we have not played well and got results. Do you disagree? Have you been happy with the performances?

Could we have played better, certainly and i hope by the end of the season we will be doing so. But then again unlike ( it seems) some fans i never expected a team that has got a new manager, with a new system and with the loss of a world class player ( Modric) two very good players ( King and VDV) and without the likes of Kaboul, Benny,Ade, Parker for most of the games to start off playing great football.

Considering that there were some fans who thought we would be in the bottom half of the table, the fact that we are still in with a shout of the top four is pretty good.

I notice the polarising has moved on from those not being delighted with Redknapp to those that aren't unhappy with AVB. Why this need to create camps?

I keep reading some absolute crap about excuses and how anything but top 4 is a failure and I almost can't be bothered to respond anymore. These aren't excuses, they are facts. We've suffered with injuries, especially at the back. We've lost players that were integral to the first XI and important characters in the squad. We have a lot of new players and are promoting youth to the first team, a settling in process that has not been helped by injuries to some of our most experienced players. Oh, and we are currently joint 4th and the third highest scoring team in the league.

You don't think missing Parker, Kaboul and BAE while trying to integrate Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton and Lloris, constantly having to reshuffle our defence every time someone gets injured, means we might struggle at times?

I could go on, but now I got bored. Besides, I seriously doubt it will make any difference.

Nope, not for me. I've said from day 1 that 5th is where we will more than likely finish. 6th would be disappointing, but by no means a disastar as Everton have improved. Anything below that is a failure I'm afraid. We are better than Liverpool and West Brom player for player.

Fair enough we've sold key players which wasn't AVB's doing, but I'm not having the injuries excuse. Every team has injuries. Arsenal were without Wheelchair for the entire season last campaign. United have been without Vidic for large parts of last season and this season. They've had to play Carrick at centre half due to lack of numbers.

Nope, not for me. I've said from day 1 that 5th is where we will more than likely finish. 6th would be disappointing, but by no means a disastar as Everton have improved. Anything below that is a failure I'm afraid. We are better than Liverpool and West Brom player for player.

Fair enough we've sold key players which wasn't AVB's doing, but I'm not having the injuries excuse. Every team has injuries. Arsenal were without Wheelchair for the entire season last campaign. United have been without Vidic for large parts of last season and this season. They've had to play Carrick at centre half due to lack of numbers.

Perception is an interesting thing isn't it?

16 games played and we have 26pts and a lot of people here are delighted.

Everyone on here keeps referring to the back end of last season and how much of a disaster it was. The last 16 games last season? 23pts. Yes we arguably had a better team (like this year injuries in the second half of last season took their toll on us unfortunately), but arguably the league was tougher last year too. 3pts difference and yet this season has been fantastic with loads of positive showings and last season was a disaster. Fine margins indeed!

Not sure it was tougher last year than this, I think this year the quality of the teams chasing the top 4 (and considering there's 4 points between 4th and 12th) shows that as of now, the ability of the chasing teams to get results is all pretty much the same. That equates to a tough league because the 'easy' games don't exist, unless you are playing Reading.

But in any case, I think we will improve. For the simple fact we haven't played AVB's ideal style of football yet. He's clearly holding off on it for some reason. Maybe he didn't do it in pre-season and implement it fully because he wanted a smooth transition after taking over from Harry. Then he's lost a lot of key players to injury and hasn't really had the time during the weeks because of the run of games to really implement it. He talks today about being confident we will reach another level against Swansea, and if he's that confident I think we should be too. It's not just a 'we have to bounce back' kind of statement, he specifically said this week will allow him to get some real work done with the players and give them a rest from constant competitive games.

So I think the reason we haven't hit the consistency yet isn't because we are actually poor (like 02/03) but because the coach has decided there will be a gradual move towards a certain playing style and he is waiting for the right time, and the personnel, to get us to it. We are a bit like a slightly lower level Man United, in that we have done relatively well with a relatively good squad of players, but with relatively poor performances to date. I get the sense that once this style is fully unleashed, and we aren't just trying to get through games on a match by match basis, trying to nullify the opposition instead of imposing our own style, then we will do really well. And I'm totally confident AVB is the man to do that.

City have the best players so they should win the EPL. But United have RVP and to say this guy has the Midas touch is the understatement of the century.
I have not seen our last 2 games but the reports suggest we played OK/good, maybe better than previous games. We are 3 points behind 3rd place (about where we were at the same stage last year?)

AVB is doing about the same EPL, worse League Cup, better Europa League.

He has done well no doubt (although I think some of the issues are recurring such as late goals, poor football, sitting back etc).

I dont think we have circumvented the modric dependency because we still dont keep the ball and that could be due to a number of factors - poor footballer? maybe our sitting back hinders our ability to hold on to the ball as we have no one to pass to when we actually get the ball? or maybe its a lack of mentality - there are a number of factors involved.

The frustrating thing is a few tweaks and we could be up there - AVB just has to implement those tweaks.

As for the moutinho thing - hopefully Levy pulls it off

Being one of Luka's biggest fans, I made the point several times that this player had been the under-pinning of our previous regime and that any manager having to deal without him deserved extra time and consideration such was his importance to EVERYTHING we do. What AVB has done thus far, IMHO, is circumvent Modder's loss being a VITAL dependancy. He has quickly found ways for us to get results without him. Thus I absolutely agree we are still not weaned off him and what be brought to our side, but the 'vital' nature of what he did has thankfully been turned way way down...

Back