• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group G - Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Germany and Portugal

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Germany and USA

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Germany and Ghana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal and USA

• Portugal and Ghana

• USA and Ghana

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's all about the ad money and that requires a large tv audience. Most major news media in the US seem to completely ignore football and only report on their big 4. And a little golf and tennis, which also attract more sponsorship money than they should.
NBC bought the BPL from ESPN and has put a ton into making sure it's on tv. Every game last season was on tv or easily live steamed and all 10 Habra the final Sunday were on basic cable channels. NBC is doing great with it. sites shows edicated to the sport. They put a lot more money and effort into the PL than the NHL this past season.

ESPN failed horribly with it. They were too busy cramming NBA down everyone's throats...that's their baby. ESPN could have raised the level of soccer in America to double what it note if they have given a fan the last 10 years. instead the buried it.

Now ESPN sees the possibilities but sold their soul to Mexico to be the home network for them and have cast off team USA. cover world football but not American

Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

BqSp_zfCYAA94VX.png

NBC bought the BPL from ESPN and has put a ton into making sure it's on tv. Every game last season was on tv or easily live steamed and all 10 Habra the final Sunday were on basic cable channels. NBC is doing great with it. sites shows edicated to the sport. They put a lot more money and effort into the PL than the NHL this past season.

ESPN failed horribly with it. They were too busy cramming NBA down everyone's throats...that's their baby. ESPN could have raised the level of soccer in America to double what it note if they have given a fan the last 10 years. instead the buried it.

Now ESPN sees the possibilities but sold their soul to Mexico to be the home network for them and have cast off team USA. cover world football but not American

Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

?

the BPL (you can drop barclays if you want) was never on ESPN, it was on Fox (soccer channel) before NBC outbid them, ESPN used to cover the champions league here but lost that and now just cover international football.
Americans love sport and with immigrants (like myself but mainly from south of the border)living here, the internet and the rise of the MLS, its definitely a player on the sports networks here now.
Most 20 or 30 somethings here can name few PL teams, that would have been unthinkable when i got here 12 years ago.

Portugal has now huge problems with passing the group stage. From the first view, similar to Spain's, but looking attentively - even worse.

They conceeded four goals, lost three of their starting team players (two because of injuries and minus braindead Pepe).
Their next game is against USA and for sure it will be enough for americans to reach 2nd spot if they at least draw against Portugal. USA's last game is against Germany, who, by this time, will likely have 6 points. Germans won't tear their asses to win hugely in 3rd game, some of their bench players will get playing time. At the same time I can't see Portugal smashing Ghana by 4 goals. So the overall goal difference will play for USA. And as result, Pepe must be considered as the main idiot from the 1 round of group matches. He helped germans to destroy Portugal, but moreover he helped USA to progress.

Russia - USA in 1/8 will be a bomb of a match. Although still much work to do from both sides and in our case Belgium is much likely to finish first.

Last edited:
I agree, the USA are now favourites to qualify and you know why? There's one man behind this success story...step forward DHSF...as soon as the USA fell in to his hands, the Stars, and Stripes, realigned to give the USA the dream story. The start has been exciting, the rest will be Legend.

I'm shocked by how disjointed Portugal actually looked. I know they didn't have a great qualifying campaign, but still. Didn't look anywhere near a cohesive unit.

Not over yet, not with Ronaldo there, but it will be tough for them.

Obviously impressed with Germany, looks like Hummels will be fine as well which is great news for them. Fantastic team, particularly considering the players they're missing.

Random World Cup fact of the day - Apparently US fans are the leading country for ticket sales, besides Brazil!

Not really surprised at Germany thrashing Portugal. Germany have many quality players while Portugal is just a one-man team with Ronaldo. Even with 11 men, Portugal would have still get thrashed. The fact Pepe got got himself a stupid red is hardly surprising as almost all the Portugal players are hot tempered. Portugal are always their own enemy.

Credit to Dempsey for scoring for US. Nice to see an ex Spurs player scoring in the WC. Thought Ghana will beat US easily but just like other African teams, they badly struggled to create chances. They did well to score late equaliser but their lack of discipline let the US score the winning goal. Ghana had beaten the US in the 2006 and 2010 WC. So, credit to US for overcoming Ghana in their third try.

Not at all impressed with any of the African teams who have played so far : Ghana, Nigeria and Ivory Coast. Based on their performance so far, can't see any of them making an impact in this WC.

not a shock considering distance between countries, population and average wealth of USA citizens

I actually googled this yesterday as I was fascinated why so many USA fans - the distance isnt that much diff between us and Brazil. 5k miles between USA and Brazil which is about 9 hrs compared to our 11 hrs as an example.

[video=youtube;sS172L6Cmv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS172L6Cmv8[/video]

Sure, some of that may be people who don't really care about soccer and are just part of the nationalism of it all. However, if this EXACT situation played out less than half of those people would have been in bars/watch parties. The reactions wouldn't have been nearly what they were. The game doesn't get 1/3rd the press it is today.

listening to sports talk radio here this morning, great ratings, beating the number a network would usually get for a NFL game but crucially that doesnt factor in people listening/watching on apps/mexican channels/other multimedia which a lot of football fans here do.

and the reason why you get most americans in brazil is that the ones that love this game, REALLY love the game, theyre as passionate as any fans in the world.

listening to sports talk radio here this morning, great ratings, beating the number a network would usually get for a NFL game but crucially that doesnt factor in people listening/watching on apps/mexican channels/other multimedia which a lot of football fans here do.

and the reason why you get most americans in brazil is that the ones that love this game, REALLY love the game, theyre as passionate as any fans in the world.

So true.

I know people who were building the framework for football to take off at grass-routes level in local communities 20 years ago, and I have loads of admiration for them. As you said, they really really love the game. Was delighted for all of them.

Almeida, Patricio and Coentrao all suffered thigh strains and will probably miss Portugal's two remaining games.

Back