• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

I would jump at the chance to buy a safe standing seat. How many in the South or East Lower were standing on Thursday? Everyone.
Of course some people, perhaps most, will want to sit down, but those of us who spend all day glued to a computer screen, which is not something our bodies were designed for, relish the chance to stand.
All seater stadia have removed forever the dangers of crushing - not because people sit down, but because they have fixed capacities. The anti safe standing lobby deliberately confuse these two issues. Standing up didn't cause the tragedy of Hillsborough. What caused it was unregulated access into a confined space. Now that that can never happen, surely we can be sensible enough to allow for an area of the ground, where those who choose, can stand at their seat. Is that really too much to ask?

So surely that is a reason to want standing areas designed for standing instead of the current situation where people stand in seated areas, which is much more dangerous. No one is talking about a return to the old terraced stands.

I don't know how typical they are, but the Liverpool fans on Skyscrapercity seem quite keen on safe standing in a renovated Kop. Given the push for cheaper tickets from Liverpool fans, they could put pressure on the club. A lot of other owners will quite happily dismiss it on safety grounds because they realise its not a money-spinner, but, if Liverpool tried it first, it could catch on. With Klopp as their manager some Liverpool fans see a Dortmund style Kop as their right.

One day Safe Standing will be introduced. It will likely cost almost the same to stand as to sit. Clubs will get twice as many fans into the same space (approx.) and charge 80-90% of the normal seated price. People will happily pay it too for the atmosphere and bonus of a slight reduction.

There are things to ensure and test, like people moving into the stairways more readily when standing etc. But if they are using it in Germany we should be looking at whether its been a success there.

Ultimately football is for fans, safe standing in some of the ground makes perfect sense.

One day Safe Standing will be introduced. It will likely cost almost the same to stand as to sit. Clubs will get twice as many fans into the same space (approx.) and charge 80-90% of the normal seated price. People will happily pay it too for the atmosphere and bonus of a slight reduction.

There are things to ensure and test, like people moving into the stairways more readily when standing etc. But if they are using it in Germany we should be looking at whether its been a success there.

Ultimately football is for fans, safe standing in some of the ground makes perfect sense.

Yes, 1.8 times the people is the number often mentioned. I think you are right that it would have to be something like 80% of a seated ticket, as owners will only spend on the redevelopment if they can get more revenue. 1.8 times at 80% would boost revenue by 44%.

Of course, from a business point of view, you could argue that the supposed high demand for standing areas mean they could be introduced as a premium product. But imagine the outrage if a club introduced a premium standing offering.

Of course, from a business point of view, you could argue that the supposed high demand for standing areas mean they could be introduced as a premium product. But imagine the outrage if a club introduced a premium standing offering.

If standing sections are limited within grounds, they might not satisfy demand. Many prefer standing. In which case standing could be the in demand ticket.

Yes, 1.8 times the people is the number often mentioned. I think you are right that it would have to be something like 80% of a seated ticket, as owners will only spend on the redevelopment if they can get more revenue. 1.8 times at 80% would boost revenue by 44%.

why not do it so that you get the same revenue from the standing area as you would if it was seating? if you have a section which would hold 5k seats bringing in 150k @£30 pp, then charge £15pp for the 10k safe standing seats which would take it's place - although thats probably not fair on the supporter who wants a seat

why not do it so that you get the same revenue from the standing area as you would if it was seating? if you have a section which would hold 5k seats bringing in 150k @£30 pp, then charge £15pp for the 10k safe standing seats which would take it's place - although thats probably not fair on the supporter who wants a seat

That's your problem right there. There is absolutely no reason to assume standing will lead to cheaper tickets.

That's your problem right there. There is absolutely no reason to assume standing will lead to cheaper tickets.

i don't assume it will but it's a possibility, the £30 away ticket cap recently introduced shows there's room for such initiatives.

could be a condition that comes with safe standing approval

With all the attention on the (interminable) approval process, I must have missed who the main Construction company is for the stadium, can someone enlighten me? Ta!

i don't assume it will but it's a possibility, the £30 away ticket cap recently introduced shows there's room for such initiatives.

could be a condition that comes with safe standing approval
Can't see that happening.

The increase in ticket prices has brought with it an improvement in fan behaviour. The authorities are unlikely to change both at the same time.

Can't see that happening.

The increase in ticket prices has brought with it an improvement in fan behaviour. The authorities are unlikely to change both at the same time.

don't think ticket pricing has anything to do with fan behavior, proper segregation, increased police presence and CCTV monitoring combined with banning orders and jail time would be the main reasons for that - not worth the risk to cause trouble at football in this day and age.

don't think ticket pricing has anything to do with fan behavior, proper segregation, increased police presence and CCTV monitoring combined with banning orders and jail time would be the main reasons for that - not worth the risk to cause trouble at football in this day and age.
You don't think the fan profile has changed since the 80s?

You don't think the fan profile has changed since the 80s?

i never went in the 80's so can't compare - but i go regularly now home & away and the fan base seems to be largely made up of the same type of young working class males who would have made up the bulk of the problems of the 80s (plus the middle aged men who were causing trouble in the 80s...) - 40-50 pound every couple of weeks isn't as hard to find for us working class folk as you'd imagine Scara ;)

i never went in the 80's so can't compare - but i go regularly now home & away and the fan base seems to be largely made up of the same type of young working class males who would have made up the bulk of the problems of the 80s (plus the middle aged men who were causing trouble in the 80s...) - 40-50 pound every couple of weeks isn't as hard to find for us working class folk as you'd imagine Scara ;)
Other than parts of the Park Lane and in the cheap seats behind the pillars it seems quite middle class to me nowadays. Lots of families/couples and a good share of tourists too.

Other than parts of the Park Lane and in the cheap seats behind the pillars it seems quite middle class to me nowadays. Lots of families/couples and a good share of tourists too.

in comparison to the past you'd most likely be right, however in regards to what we're discussing re the pricing of tickets halting the trouble seen at matches i have to disagree - were it not for the police presence/cctv and the knowledge that you could wind up in jail or banned from games for a few years for being involved in trouble at a football match then we would see a lot more of it on match days, without any change to our current fan base demographic.

so, imo, safe standing being introduced along with cheaper tickets would not increase the likelihood of trouble at games because the same threat of punishment will remain as the main deterrent

...in Liverpool of all places then that would open the floodgates...
Poor choice of words mate!

I agree safe standing is safer than "seats where people stand anyway" as it is too easy to fall forwards and topple over the low seat backs, far safer to have rail seats.

I hate having to sit/stand/bob up and down all game as I feel bad for the person behind me (I'm tall) and annoyed with the person in front of me who keeps standing up... whenever there is a good pass or surge or corner you're happily sat there and suddenly they stand up and you miss 2 seconds, ditto the person behind... then they sit down because it came to nothing, so you start to sit down too, then they bob back up again, it is an embarrassingly sh.ite way to watch a game, all whilst being criticised my some minimum wage jobsworth in a flourescent jacket.

I was surprised people were crushed at Dortmund vs Spurs; police and stewards herded Spurs fans towards one or two gates, there was not time nor capacity to get people in and searched, so people pushed forwards, the police/stewards encouraged it, people were hurt, some fell to the floor and were trampled, shocking scenes and more should be made of this. Nothing to do with seats, just poor communication/stewarding/policing which was what caused the issues at Hillsboro.

Back