• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tony Parks & Steffen Freund

Club Announcement

The Club can confirm today that Tony Parks is to leave our coaching staff and we would like to thank him for his contribution and achievements.

parksy730.jpg

Tony returned to the Club as First Team Goalkeeping Coach in 2008, having previously served as a player between 1980 and 1988, memorably saving two penalties in the 1984 UEFA Cup final against Anderlecht.

A popular member of the coaching team, Tony worked with Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood during his time with us, overseeing the First Team goalkeepers as well as the development of our younger goalkeepers and was last year named Goalkeeper Coach of the Year at the FA Licensed Coaches' Club Awards.

We wish Tony every success for the future and he will always be welcome at the Lane.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/club-announcement-300514/

Such a shame. Really bums me out actually. And I have to say, I think personally it's a mistake…unless there's more to it that we don't know...

Such a shame. Really bums me out actually. And I have to say, I think personally it's a mistake…unless there's more to it that we don't know...

Really don't think there is more to it than Poch bringing his own team .. that is about as pleasant a club message to any departing staff member I can recall.

To your point, we may have missed the boat a little on that call.

Really don't think there is more to it than Poch bringing his own team .. that is about as pleasant a club message to any departing staff member I can recall.

To your point, we may have missed the boat a little on that call.

I agree, certainly seems about the new chap bringing in his people.
I just think Parksie was a wonderful line through the club, and so far as coaching staff goes, the only one who spanned from the early 80s (not to mention the only European trophy winner from the club's last euro final victory)…good luck Parksie, going to miss you son (we should never forget what he did for Gomes in the CL year)...

disgrace. whats the profile of that new gk coach?

Antoni Jiménez Sistachs

Former Spanish international goalkeeper and Olympic gold medallist Jiménez has been appointed as First Team Goalkeeping Coach.

Raised in the Spanish town of La Garriga, he began his playing career with lower-leaguers EC Granollers before joining Barcelona aged 18.

He spent a brief amount time playing for the Spanish giants' third team before moving on loan to make his professional debut with UE Figueres.

He was selected in Spain's squad for the 1992 Olympic Games in his home city of Barcelona, playing all six games as they won the gold medal for men's football.

After the games, he signed for Rayo Vallecano before following coach José Antonio Camacho to RCD Espanyol and fast becoming their first-choice goalkeeper.

Central defender Pochettino arrived at Espanyol a year after Jiménez's arrival, with the pair both forming a vital part of their starting team.

Jiménez won three senior caps for Spain, making his debut under his former Espanyol coach Camacho in a friendly against Italy in November 1998.

In 1999, after six years at Espanyol, Toni joined Atlético Madrid in 1999 before moving to Elche CF for a season in 2002.

He rounded off his playing career back at his beloved Espanyol, moving there in January 2003. He was reunited with Pochettino upon his return to Barcelona from France a year later, but decided to retire from playing at the end of the 2003-04 season.

After hanging up his gloves, Jiménez served as a director with Espanyol for just under two years before departing in March 2006.

He then had separate spells as assistant manager and goalkeeping coach at Girona FC either side of a role at his first club, EC Granollers.

Toni returned to Espanyol in June 2011 as Pochettino's number two, and now joins him in moving to Southampton.

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/first-team-coaching-staff-confirmed-610510.aspx

I agree, certainly seems about the new chap bringing in his people.
I just think Parksie was a wonderful line through the club, and so far as coaching staff goes, the only one who spanned from the early 80s (not to mention the only European trophy winner from the club's last euro final victory)…good luck Parksie, going to miss you son (we should never forget what he did for Gomes in the CL year)...

Not as coaches, but Ossie and Mabbsy are still employed by the club.

I agree the link to the Burkinshaw days is more useful than having players around from the mid-90s to mid-00s culture of failure, like several of our recent coaches.

Antoni Jiménez Sistachs

Former Spanish international goalkeeper and Olympic gold medallist Jiménez has been appointed as First Team Goalkeeping Coach.

Raised in the Spanish town of La Garriga, he began his playing career with lower-leaguers EC Granollers before joining Barcelona aged 18.

He spent a brief amount time playing for the Spanish giants' third team before moving on loan to make his professional debut with UE Figueres.

He was selected in Spain's squad for the 1992 Olympic Games in his home city of Barcelona, playing all six games as they won the gold medal for men's football.

After the games, he signed for Rayo Vallecano before following coach José Antonio Camacho to RCD Espanyol and fast becoming their first-choice goalkeeper.

Central defender Pochettino arrived at Espanyol a year after Jiménez's arrival, with the pair both forming a vital part of their starting team.

Jiménez won three senior caps for Spain, making his debut under his former Espanyol coach Camacho in a friendly against Italy in November 1998.

In 1999, after six years at Espanyol, Toni joined Atlético Madrid in 1999 before moving to Elche CF for a season in 2002.

He rounded off his playing career back at his beloved Espanyol, moving there in January 2003. He was reunited with Pochettino upon his return to Barcelona from France a year later, but decided to retire from playing at the end of the 2003-04 season.

After hanging up his gloves, Jiménez served as a director with Espanyol for just under two years before departing in March 2006.

He then had separate spells as assistant manager and goalkeeping coach at Girona FC either side of a role at his first club, EC Granollers.

Toni returned to Espanyol in June 2011 as Pochettino's number two, and now joins him in moving to Southampton.

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/first-team-coaching-staff-confirmed-610510.aspx
Not as good as Tony

Possibly but a new manager/head coach should be allowed to assemble their own coaching team.

Agreed. A tough decision for obvious reasons, but I think it's the right one. To hire Poch and then tell him he can't bring in the people he trusts and rates the most would be counter intuitive to me.

Agreed. A tough decision for obvious reasons, but I think it's the right one. To hire Poch and then tell him he can't bring in the people he trusts and rates the most would be counter intuitive to me.

Makes me wonder why we didnt do this for AVB?

So he brought in two people? Kept others that he probably didnt even want. Sherwood for example. Wasn't Freund thrust upon him too?

And Poch is bringing in three coaches?

Sherwood was a technical director at the time, not someone working under AVB. I know it's been speculated or claimed, but I haven't seen any comment from anyone at the club to indicate that Freund was "thrust upon him". There seemed to be a falling out between them, but that wasn't exactly exclusive to Freund.

It's all just speculation. "Probably didn't want" etc that's been repeated again and again and at this point it's an old discussion.

And Poch is bringing in three coaches?

Sherwood was a technical director at the time, not someone working under AVB. I know it's been speculated or claimed, but I haven't seen any comment from anyone at the club to indicate that Freund was "thrust upon him". There seemed to be a falling out between them, but that wasn't exactly exclusive to Freund.

It's all just speculation. "Probably didn't want" etc that's been repeated again and again and at this point it's an old discussion.

It was this Jason Burt article that suggested that Freund was a Sherwood appointment. I think that it was always claimed that Burt was close to AVB, so it should carry some weight.

I agree with the crux of what you are saying though. AVB only had responsibility for the first team, so Sherwood's role was outside his area.

Ok, 4-5 Portuguese coaches was an exaggeration, he actually brought 3 with him, the same as Pochettino. Luis Martins, Jose Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa.

It's really sad to see a real club man in Parks go:(
Would much rather have kept him than, say, Ferdinand or Sherwood

I just hope we look back in a year or two and can say that our keepers became even better for it

So what is the news on the likes of Ferdinand? Has this guy left?

Ferdinand and Ramsey are still with us at the moment but there's been no confirmation on their roles yet. The smart money is on them joining up with Sherwood when he lands a job.

Back