• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I'd love for Carroll to come good, but he is almost 21. If he is going to be a better player than the current crop of first team central midfielders he certainly needs to get a move on and usurp one of them to become a regular.

Yeah, I don't get the "Carroll plays it safe" line. I've seen him make some brave yet brilliant forward passes, like the Lazio one, the Maribor one and the defence splitting ones he's done in the past. Does he sometimes play sideways and backwards? Of course he does as does EVERY possession footballer, it's called making the right pass. If there isn't a pass forward (as I probably believe due to our lack of movement at times), you take the safe option at times instead of trying to overdo it and then get slated and called a **** by our fans for giving the ball away etc.

he has a very bright future and I have no doubt if he was at Arsenal, he'd be fudging spunked over by media and pundits alike. He is the sort of player we've needed and he has been right under our noses. We have Holtby now which is also very good, I see a lot of similarities in both of them, from what I saw of Holtby at Schalke anyway when he played deeper. I'm sure Carroll could learn a thing or two from Holtby and he's only going to get better in the future.

I think it's great that our bench, not the best in terms of overall quality, has different aspects we can add to our game. Sigurdsson for example, is a player who likes the ball at his feet, pass the ball or have a shot on goal because he is capable, he changed the game when he come on, simple as that. Carroll, another one, not the sort of player who you'd think would be a "go on son, go get us a goal" type player but he come on, kept things ticking and we looked much better in possession, he is 20 years old!!! These players add different elements to our game which is very hard for the opposition. It's great having like for like replacements but you need that other element to your game, not so much the element of surprise, but the element in which can affect the game in the long run.

I'd love for Carroll to come good, but he is almost 21. If he is going to be a better player than the current crop of first team central midfielders he certainly needs to get a move on and usurp one of them to become a regular.

He's still young for a central midfielder, and particularly considering that he's fairly lightweight and considering that he's competing with some excellent central midfielders for a place in the starting line-up.

Cleverley wasn't really going anywhere when he was 20/21, then a good loan move and after recovering from an injury he's getting regular games for the best team in the league and getting games for England. How old was Carrick when we signed him? I thought he was 23ish, but can't be bothered checking. At the time though people were saying that if he was going to make it he would have done so already.

Carroll plays his passes the way he is facing, it is horribly frustrating. It will be short and safe and so fudging boring to watch. He is never a DM and will never be an AM. He is in the Jenas mould, does simple things but nothing special. I would be worried as fudge if we started a game with Carroll in there. Shuv him out on loan, he needs to play and not only that but improve a hell of a lot.

Carroll plays his passes the way he is facing, it is horribly frustrating. It will be short and safe and so fudging boring to watch. He is never a DM and will never be an AM. He is in the Jenas mould, does simple things but nothing special. I would be worried as fudge if we started a game with Carroll in there. Shuv him out on loan, he needs to play and not only that but improve a hell of a lot.

You need these players though, quick incisive passing - moving the play in the direction of your body is more about technique. Would much rather have this than someone who has to take a touch turn and pass *cough Parker.

You can't have a whole team made up of Gareth Bales (although it would be interesting) you need the water carriers - and in my opinion Carroll does this with a bit of a continental touch.

Carroll plays his passes the way he is facing, it is horribly frustrating. It will be short and safe and so fudging boring to watch.

I know you just say these things to get a bite, but this really is so very wrong. You are thinking of Scott Parker, the human wall-pass.

Well, Modric was 22 (turning 23) when we signed him, and while he was obviously a very talented player with years of experience from Croatia, he didn't exactly stand out much in his first season for us. It was only with a bit more playing time that he came good - I think that's the key for Carroll as well. A PL loan move would probably be ideal for next season, unless he really steps up to become a regular for us.

A season long loan, and he could come back with much more playing experience, still only 22 years old - ready for the 2014-15 season.

I agree, he needs to add needless piroettes to his game if he is to make it big ...

He did what was required.

Which was playing quick simple passes to speed up our tempo.

What was not required was hollywood passes, which rarely work and more often then not cede possession to the opposition.

The young lad has the ability to try those, which we have seen in games in our first team previously, however this was not the game for it.

Edit: Comes on when we are 2-1 down, plays well and we win 3-2. Then starts getting flack for it from some fans? madness.

Last edited:
article-2237024-162AF830000005DC-861_634x355.jpg

Will be bookmarking this, cant wait to ram it down peoples throats. I do have a habit of doing that, its a fairly common event.

Carroll plays his passes the opposite way he is facing, it is very enjoyable. It will be long and risky and so fudging thrilling to watch. He is a DM and will thrive as an AM. He is not in the Jenas mould, does difficult things and always something special. I'd be worried as fudge if we didn't start a game with Carroll in there. Give him the captains armband, he doesn't need to play or improve very much.

I like Carroll, he's got vision and a good pass, moves into space well. With a run of games, he could be very valuable for us - hope it does come soon, he's got a couple of years to break in.

Problem for the youngsters are the limited spaces on the bench and when Defoe, Dempsey and Kaboul are fit there is just no room for them.

Problem for the youngsters are the limited spaces on the bench and when Defoe, Dempsey and Kaboul are fit there is just no room for them.

Agreed. Therefore, I do think a loan to either a newly promoted side or perhaps the likes of Swansea or West Brom (if they'll have him, and more importantly play him) is his best chance of rapidly improving himself and getting game-time over the next year or so.

He's shown enough talent and determination to suggest he has a place at Spurs. A season spent on loan to a PL side will do wonders for his development, and much like Caulker, would probably set him up nicely for a spot in the match-day eighteen when he returns.

Back