• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I bet you are glad we did not now.:)
I was disappointed we didn't get him too. And from this vantage point, a year later, it looks like we dodged a bullet. BUT at the same time it's simply impossible to know whether he would have been as unsuccessful at Spurs under Pochettino as he has been at Liverpool. Maybe Poch knows how to get the best out of him and he would have been a decent player for us. Fact is we'll never know. But right now I'm glad he's at 'pool and not us.

The more I read about Toby Alderweireld, the less I understand the negativity. He was the heart of the Southampton defence last season and the stats seem to suggest he was easily one of the best CBs in the league. According to OPTA, he had a grand total of ZERO "errors leading to a goal or shot". His passing accuracy (including long passes) was in the top 6 of all premier league players. He made more clearances and put in more blocks than any other Southampton player (and was in the top 15 in both stats in the premier league).

As for GB's assertion that "Alderweireld really is dog slow", I'm plain baffled. The first four articles I read about him this evening (can you tell I'm bored tonight?) all mention his pace - and none of them disparagingly...

His positional sense has seen him make more blocks than any Southampton player, while he has also made more clearances – some of them off the goal-line – per 90 minutes than any of his team-mates. With the pace to extricate himself from difficulty when needed, it’s a formidable combination and there’s a sense that Koeman has got hold of his man at the perfect moment.
- Premier League: Toby Alderweireld impressing for Southampton following loan move from Atletico Madrid

Toby Alderweireld pace and composure on the ball has impressed at Southampton
- Spurs linked with £10m move for Atletico's Alderweireld

The Liverpool defence for years now has been one that sits deep to counter its lack of pace, but the 24-year-old Belgium international has shown he can play in a fluid attacking system and press well off the ball and keep a high line
- FIVE transfers Liverpool should ‘ponder this summer’

It’s easy to see why Europe’s big guns are interested in Alderweireld – he has all the qualities required to be a top defender; pace, power, energy, physical presence and a good reading of the game all adding up to an exciting package.
- Who is Liverpool and Spurs transfer target Toby Alderweireld?

Odd.

I was disappointed we didn't get him too. And from this vantage point, a year later, it looks like we dodged a bullet. BUT at the same time it's simply impossible to know whether he would have been as unsuccessful at Spurs under Pochettino as he has been at Liverpool. Maybe Poch knows how to get the best out of him and he would have been a decent player for us. Fact is we'll never know. But right now I'm glad he's at 'pool and not us.

To be honest I did not rate him while he was at Southampton, in the two games he played against us he was poor and even Soldado was knocking him all over the place.

IMO Toby is a very good defender, and he plays with a bit of passion. I like that. Not Ledley quick, but good enough. Not Fazio height, but he can surely clear the ball againt the most of the strikers in our league (maybe not Crouch, but who can?!). What I've seen from him at Southampton is that he looks like a leader, and he's got body strenght enough to do well in the PL.
And, did't he play with Verts in Ajax? Can't be wrong IMO.
I would take him every day as a upgrade to Dier (who could become very good, but I dont like his weakness in ball watching) and Fazio (he needs to step up, his lack of focus with the ball kills me from time to time).

GB makes things up on the spot to try to make himself look knowledgeable, did you not know that?
That seems a bit harsh. I get the impression that GB might have seen Alderweireld on an off-day and is maybe guilty of inferring the general from the particular? That's the only thing I can think of... because to call him "dog slow" is just odd when every article I could find that mentioned his pace did so in a positive manner.

Meanwhile the Telegraph says "sources close to the player" claim he's planning on completing his transfer to Spurs "when he gets back from his Honeymoon in Bali".

To be blunt, I know I've seen him play a few times but I can't remember much about him at all (which can be a good thing for a defender as obviously he didn't commit any howlers in those games). That said, the stats and the more in-depth articles all paint him as one of the best defenders in the premier league (per 90 minutes) last season. That doesn't always guarantee success of course - but getting rid of Chiriches and Kaboul and replacing them with Wimmer and Alderweireld; while also hanging onto our goalkeeper and bringing in proper back-up at RB...? If that's our defensive changes this summer, then I for one would call it a massive success.

Now... just the midfield and striker situations to sort... ... ...

Looks like this is going ahead. We're gonna end up with two Belgian centre halfs that can't get a game at centre half for their country.

I hope this is true as I believe this guy is the real deal, I know all transfer are a risk but he can play in several positions and looked good at Ajax alongside Jan.

To be blunt, I know I've seen him play a few times but I can't remember much about him at all (which can be a good thing for a defender as obviously he didn't commit any howlers in those games). That said, the stats and the more in-depth articles all paint him as one of the best defenders in the premier league (per 90 minutes) last season. That doesn't always guarantee success of course - but getting rid of Chiriches and Kaboul and replacing them with Wimmer and Alderweireld; while also hanging onto our goalkeeper and bringing in proper back-up at RB...? If that's our defensive changes this summer, then I for one would call it a massive success.

Now... just the midfield and striker situations to sort... ... ...

what? we dont buy attacking players anymore

Again, bit of a weird one. I really wanted him at the start of the summer...now I'm in two minds given the need to consider the prospects of Wimmer, and then Veljkovic and CCV further down the line.
Unless Fazio leaves, of course. But again, I like Faz, and I'd hate to see him go.

Sod it, sign the guy. Him and Verts were together at Ajax, and apparently the prospect of reuniting with Jan seems enticing enough for him to publicly admit its attractiveness in interviews. The whole Belgian gang at Spurs could use another addition. By himself, he's a formidable defender: fast, big, strong, technical, used to the PL, entering his prime at 26. And we'd be tinkling off S'oton to no end, something we do owe them after their snarkiness over the whole Poch saga last summer. :p

Why does it look like this one is going ahead? What have I missed?
Some journo in The Telegraph (who apparently is slightly more reliable than most) has it on good authority from "sources close to the player". I don't know how reliable that actually is... but in the age of the twitter ITK, it probably qualifies as "nailed on". ;)

Some journo in The Telegraph (who apparently is slightly more reliable than most) has it on good authority from "sources close to the player". I don't know how reliable that actually is... but in the age of the twitter ITK, it probably qualifies as "nailed on". ;)
I won't believe it until Jjetsetyid denies that we have made any contact!

I won't believe it until Jjetsetyid denies that we have made any contact!

He hasn't denied contact. The general gist of the ITK is that his people have contacted us, but it's not a big priority for us. JJ has suggested that all the media stuff is just his agent trying to get bigger clubs involved.

Back