• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

I completely agree that the collective was the reason for the run of results. We were completely depleted in the spine in that period of last season. Then Udogie was added to the injury / suspension list on top. I guess we can't really say whether Davies played better than Phillips / Dorrington because they weren't given the opportunity. It's also a massive call for any manager putting an 18 year old at centre half at the top end of the PL.

The way I remember it, Phillips got a key injury and missed out on an opportunity anyway due to bad timing. Playing for England U19s if my memory serves me right. Ben did OK, but he wasn't impeccable in my mind. He would be out of position and instead of getting to the ball easily, he'd have to make a goal saving block. Of course that always gets adulation from fans and can be confused with great defending. He would also lose a large percentage of headers, and foot races and I remember the Villa boys giving him a really tough afternoon. What I would say is that he stepped up for his manager though. For me, he isn't a centre half because of his physical build and has understandably found it hard to adjust his brain into a completely different positional mode from left back, or left of a three.

Not for me, but I respect those in the pro-Davies camp. He's a good pro who has taken a degree in Economics, whilst others have been playing the Xbox or out on the golf course after training. I bet he has a massive influence on the younger players.

I have been critical of Davies most of his career (with us). He's always been limited. But similar to Royal, his defensive ability is underrated. My criticisms are more about his ability on the ball and his limitations attacking. His awareness and defensive game - now - is massively underrated. He can raise his game and put in fantastic defensive displays. And even in possession now, he can hold his own, all be it, he isn't suited to the Ange fullback role. Which is why he's deputised more at CB.

Last season, if you took the time to go back and watch his performances, I think he was one of the best defenders. But maybe limited us playing out, compared with Romero's ability on the ball.

Last edited:
I have been critical of Davies most of his career (with us). He's always been limited. But similar to Royal, his defensive ability is underrated. My criticisms are more about his ability on the ball and his limitations attacking. His awareness and defensive game - now - is massively underrated. He can raise his game and put in fantastic defensive displays. And even in possession now, he can hold his own, all be it, he isn't suited to the Ange fullback role. Which is why he's deputised more at CB.

Last season, if you took the time to go back and watch his performances, I think he was one of the best defenders. But maybe limited us playing out, compared with Romero's ability on the ball.

Davies lacked the dynamism and pace of Rose which cause problems for defences but Davies was a much better and smarter passer of the ball.

I could stand to see Spurs sell Romero soon for some serious coin. He's not showing the complete game needed to play in the Premier League.

Oh, put him in with Argentina's world beaters at the Copa America and he looks great fending off largely tier two talent and getting stroked by the refs on contentious calls.

But test him weekly in the world's most physically and mentally demanding league and I have concerns about him. He's learned to curb his natural snarling aggressiveness and love of contact but his Licesister brain fart for Vardy's goal was just the latest example of his tactical unawareness. And if he's beginning to gently agitate for a shift elsewhere then he's more likely to cost us points than save us points.

I'd love it if he stayed and improved but given the big bucks a club like Real Madrid could chuck our way, I wouldn't bark about seeing him go for appropriate money. Get Dragusin in there and use the money to find another promising right CB that meshes more naturally with the young core we're developing.

Honestly crazy assessment ..

Romero is an elite level defender, yes he had a brainfart against Leicester, all players make mistakes
- When last did you see someone outmuscle him (to your point about physical league), when last did you see someone beat him 1:1 with the ball on the ground?
- How many times does he step out and kill plays before they even start, sometimes as high as in opposition half
- Add in, the guy probably is one of the best defenders in the league progressing the ball, and is the highest scoring defender since beginning of last season, he is the complete package

And that is in a system that leaves the back 2 horribly exposed every fudging game

I'm quite sure a $100M+ Madrid bid will come at some point, and that's exactly the kind of thing at this point the club should say no to, we all sit here and go "what would happen if we kept Bale & Modric?" we have to keep Romero and VDV and any of our youngsters that hit that level, plus make $100M buys ourselves if we want to ever break this cycle of "challenging" without ever actually doing ..

Romero is an elite level defender, yes he had a brainfart against Leicester, all players make mistakes
- When last did you see someone outmuscle him (to your point about physical league), when last did you see someone beat him 1:1 with the ball on the ground?
- How many times does he step out and kill plays before they even start, sometimes as high as in opposition half
- Add in, the guy probably is one of the best defenders in the league progressing the ball, and is the highest scoring defender since beginning of last season, he is the complete package

And that is in a system that leaves the back 2 horribly exposed every fudging game

I'm quite sure a $100M+ Madrid bid will come at some point, and that's exactly the kind of thing at this point the club should say no to, we all sit here and go "what would happen if we kept Bale & Modric?" we have to keep Romero and VDV and any of our youngsters that hit that level, plus make $100M buys ourselves if we want to ever break this cycle of "challenging" without ever actually doing .
This, for sure.

I don’t agree with some things to do with the direction of travel our current owners choose to take; but they have got good at saying no to selling our main stars, doing so only when the time is right for the club - and usually to clubs abroad, so fair play to them for that.

I'm quite sure a $100M+ Madrid bid will come at some point, and that's exactly the kind of thing at this point the club should say no to, we all sit here and go "what would happen if we kept Bale & Modric?" we have to keep Romero and VDV and any of our youngsters that hit that level, plus make $100M buys ourselves if we want to ever break this cycle of "challenging" without ever actually doing ..
I both agree and disagree. Romero is class, but so were Eriksen and Dele and Dier and we held on to them way past their due date. If Romero signs a contract extension this year, then he's probably staying. But if we get to next summer, when he will have only 2 years left on his contract and there's no indication he will sign a new one, then sell.

It's fine to sell as long as you have proper succession planning. And it doesn't have to be like for like. We have an excellent defender in Dragusin, who may not be as elite with the ball, but Gray or someone else might handle the ball progression. If anything, that would make us more solid defensively, since he wouldn't be playing as high up. There are ways to replace what Romero brings to the team, if we're smart about it while also getting funds to strengthen in other areas, which may make us a better team overall.

This, for sure.

I don’t agree with some things to do with the direction of travel our current owners choose to take; but they have got good at saying no to selling our main stars, doing so only when the time is right for the club - and usually to clubs abroad, so fair play to them for that.
See my post above. Not so sure we've been good at selling when the time is right. £150-200m that we could have gotten for selling Eriksen, Dele, and Dier at the right time would have made a huge difference in the squad refresh. Them again, given how bad our scouting was at the time, maybe not. But we still held on for longer than we should have

Think @Raziel point is we should be adding players of Romeros calibre not letting them go.

We used to have to sell our elite players in their prime. Now we seem to have a bit more pull/control. Yet we have to take the next step winning things and attracting the best, not selling our best.

Last edited:
See my post above. Not so sure we've been good at selling when the time is right. £150-200m that we could have gotten for selling Eriksen, Dele, and Dier at the right time would have made a huge difference in the squad refresh. Them again, given how bad our scouting was at the time, maybe not. But we still held on for longer than we should have

Depends on the player. Did arsenal hold onto viera for too long? Man utd with giggs, scholes, neville?

I both agree and disagree. Romero is class, but so were Eriksen and Dele and Dier and we held on to them way past their due date. If Romero signs a contract extension this year, then he's probably staying. But if we get to next summer, when he will have only 2 years left on his contract and there's no indication he will sign a new one, then sell.

It's fine to sell as long as you have proper succession planning. And it doesn't have to be like for like. We have an excellent defender in Dragusin, who may not be as elite with the ball, but Gray or someone else might handle the ball progression. If anything, that would make us more solid defensively, since he wouldn't be playing as high up. There are ways to replace what Romero brings to the team, if we're smart about it while also getting funds to strengthen in other areas, which may make us a better team overall.
Fully agree
We have to get better at selling to make the buying work
Sell players at peak value… if we have a plan to replace them
I assume that’s the set up now with Lange that will drive that

So the saudis have agreed a fee for both toney and osimhen. Osimhen allegedly booked in for a medical. Toney allegedly already agreed terms. Will they get both? I hope so.

Maybe the saudis aren't backing chelsea as some thought? We'll see.

So the saudis have agreed a fee for both toney and osimhen. Osimhen allegedly booked in for a medical. Toney allegedly already agreed terms. Will they get both? I hope so.

Maybe the saudis aren't backing chelsea as some thought? We'll see.

Unless they buy one and loan them to Chelsea.... Can't see it though, and Chelsea can't compete with the wages they are offering

Back