• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2022/23 Premier League Thread

That was a really confused VAR issue. The VAR ref flags up that there may be a foul on Gabriel before the petulant kick. So the ref goes to check that. It was a barge on Gabriel but that is common and rarely given as a foul. The kick out was not a clear and obvious mistake as there was a kick out.

Gabriel either kicked out or did not. Black or white. Like Beckham in the world cup, it may be innocuous, but if you kicked out it is a red and a pen, which is what the linesman saw. Was the bump a foul? Probably, but it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake.

What a let-off for the scum. I didn't think they looked the better outfit against the pool, and while we are not the finished article, neither are they!

Gabriel blocked Bamford off as much as he got pushed.
Six and half a dozen of the other.
Not a clear and obvious error and var should not have intervened.

That was a really confused VAR issue. The VAR ref flags up that there may be a foul on Gabriel. So the ref goes to check that. It was a bump but that is common and rarely given as a foul.

Then Gabriel either kicked out or did not. Black or white. Like Beckham in the world cup, it maybe innocuous, but if you kick out its a red, which is what the linesman saw.

What a let off for the scum. I didn't think they looked the better outfit against the pool, and while we are not the finished article, neither are they!

It’s a free to Arsenal. Bamford has fouled him. But I’d have thought Gabriel still has to go. Son got done for similar against Chelsea a few years back.

It’s a free to Arsenal. Bamford has fouled him. But I’d have thought Gabriel still has to go. Son got done for similar against Chelsea a few years back.

I agree. My issue is how VAR was applied. Was there a clear and obvious foul by Bamford? Is bumping into other players always given as a free kick? Not really. So not sure VAR should flag that. Was not a clear mistake as you see a heap of those in a game and rarely are they pulled up.

Only watched the last five, saw the Leeds guy Sky the ball and then the whole penalty furore. Arsenal looked ragged.

Yeah I wouldn’t necessarily class that win as a sign they’ve toughened up. They got lucky. Leeds missed a bunch of chances and a pen while Gabriel lost his head and got lucky. Still signs for me that they have some of the same weaknesses.

Is it me, or are Arsenal getting Leicester-style luck/decisions going their way this season?
There is no parallels to Leicester season. Leicester didn’t have the monster of Emirates Marketing Project to compete with, Leicester wasn’t competing in Europe and Leicester did not have the same expectations. Today showed Arsenal can be got at, and when they go deeper into the season and pick up more injuries with their squad depth they are only going to become more fragile. They will likely get top 4 but beyond that I wouldn’t worry….

VAR is there to stop clear mistakes. There was a kick out, was it superseded by a barge? Yes. But it wasn't a certain foul that VAR should flag as a mistake. Leeds had 3, 4 decent chances to score and missed a pen. Another pen at the end might have been harsh, but after it has been awarded, it was a total cop-out and shambles from the ref to overturn it.

Did Dave Bassett get the Liverpool job in the week and I missed it? Haven’t seen this many long balls since the 1980s.

Back