• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Jose is not the epitome and had discarded better players in the past. I think he Mata can do a job. Did you think Eriksen or even lamella worked hard before poch?
I think that both players worked hard before Pochettino came in. There was nothing wrong with the work rate of either Lamela or Eriksen during Sherwood's short tenure. They are more effective players now, but work rate was never a problem IMO.

Surely Liverpool will accept that offer (or at least enter dialogue with Palace to squeeze a few more million out)

Virtually breaking even with a player the manager doesn't fancy, would be mad not to sell. Only problem would he get a guaranteed start with Adebayor and Wickham at the club?

But it would kill chelsea fans to see him in a Spurs shirt!

Do it levy, do it !
I'm not sure that annoying Chelsea fans should be high up on our list of priorities when spending £20 million quid plus £100k a week on a transfer. I would rather we put the funds into buying a player/players that fit the manager's game plan and will improve the squad in that regard.

Mourinho bombed him out because he shirks his defensive responsibilities and doesn't really have a big enough work rate. I don't think he would work at all in our high press system that requires every player to play their part.
Its a bit sad that a system cannot accommodate a player like Mata. He provides goals, assists and some creativity. Just like old fashioned strikers who put the ball in the net are quickly going out of fashion the same will happen to players like Mata.

Its a bit sad that a system cannot accommodate a player like Mata. He provides goals, assists and some creativity. Just like old fashioned strikers who put the ball in the net are quickly going out of fashion the same will happen to players like Mata.
I'm not sure you understand the pressing system. When you press the ball you have to ensure that the opposition do not have an out ball. If a single player does not take up the right position and get involved in the press then the opposition will have an outball, rendering the press completely useless and, worse than that, exposing our defence to the opposition's attack without having the numbers back to cope.

A team could easily accommodate a player like Mata. However I don't think it would be a team that plays our style of play.

I'm not sure you understand the pressing system. When you press the ball you have to ensure that the opposition do not have an out ball. If a single player does not take up the right position and get involved in the press then the opposition will have an outball, rendering the press completely useless and, worse than that, exposing our defence to the opposition's attack without having the numbers back to cope.

A team could easily accommodate a player like Mata. However I don't think it would be a team that plays our style of play.
I understand it, what I'm saying is that a lot of teams now use a pressing high energy system requiring athletic types that can be effective, plus 1 forward as standard.

I personally don't find this trend enjoyable to watch tbh

I understand it, what I'm saying is that a lot of teams now use a pressing high energy system requiring athletic types that can be effective, plus 1 forward as standard.

I personally don't find this trend enjoyable to watch tbh
I really enjoyed watching us last season. Yes our players are athletic, but they are also very good on the ball. I thought that by and large watching us last season was up there with Jol's team for entertainment and it was probably only Harry's best team with King, Ekotto, Walker, Modric, Bale, Lennon and VDV that was better to watch.... and it's no disgrace to be placed behind that team in terms of entertainment as that team was by far the best team in the country to watch back then.

mata would want big money (rightly so with his situation), firstly I can't see us paying that and secondly he's not a natural fit for our system meaning he wouldn't be the regular starter he would be elsewhere

Back