• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs put end to being Spurs after post-Gareth Bale splurge fades away

Let's see at the end of the season shall we.

Their net spend in the last few years has compensated for footballing legends Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez, Torres , Alonso, Mascherano and (cough) Sterling.

Rodgers' record with transfers so far at Liverpool has not been too impressive. To me, this summer's signings look just as skatter gun as last and him being unable to settle on a formation just compounds the problems. But you are right, we will see at the end of the season and unless things improve markedly for Rodgers, he won't be at Liverpool to see it.

While others seemed to like the part about Liverpool now signing Spurs type players rather than us, I have to say that part depressed me the most. I would have loved to have seen the likes of Lallana, Firmino, Benteke, Coutinho, Teixeira, Ibe, Ings etc at the Lane. I think this sprinkling of Stardust is what we will miss badly in the upcoming season.

Oh well, time will tell whose business model works better.

Let's see at the end of the season shall we.

Their net spend in the last few years has compensated for footballing legends Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez, Torres , Alonso, Mascherano and (cough) Sterling.

I don't see how you can even compare the two clubs though, what conclusion can you take from one club massively outspending another? Even with their sales, they still dwarf the amount we've spent as you can see below

lbzDEWt.jpg

And that's ignoring how much more they spend on wages per year. They've finished above us once in the past six seasons, I think that already tells you which club has the better business model.

I don't see how you can even compare the two clubs though, what conclusion can you take from one club massively outspending another? Even with their sales, they still dwarf the amount we've spent as you can see below

lbzDEWt.jpg

And that's ignoring how much more they spend on wages per year. They've finished above us once in the past six seasons, I think that already tells you which club has the better business model.

There model has changed massively though

There now gonna try to shift at least four forwards that will leave them with one who played half a session last year and has a BIG injury issue (in that he gets persistent injustices not that I know anything) to pay for Benteke. If they don't there left with a few on their books on decent wages and no games. They also need to work out how to Origi and ings game time a swell as Benteke

Every time I've seen them I've thought they needed a decent centre back yet they have brought expensive poor ones and they have always looked to need a decent centre mid which I think Can could be for them

They spent the sterling money on Firminho and a few others and for Benteke there trading in Ballotelli. aspas, lambert and borini. None of whom you would look at as having much if any really value and at least one with nuisance value .

I still think they will end the summer with zero net spend

Bringing wages into the equation, the Scousers have spent around £356million more than us these past 5 seasons but still won 26 fewer points... :oops:

Bringing wages into the equation, the Scousers have spent around £356million more than us these past 5 seasons but still won 26 fewer points... :oops:

So tired of Spurs fans and media selective memory and/or use of a single financial statement (fudging net spend) to comment on Spurs success, ignoring the facts

- The only 3 teams who have won the PL in the last 6 years (my numbers were +1 from chart above) have spent over 1.1 BILLION in spend +wages
- Scum & Pool (who really needs to be measured against the Scum to highlight how much they have underachieved) have both spent 800M+
- We have spent low 400M and have finished in above every one of those teams (except the Scum) in that same time period
- Unbelievably our peers in terms of spend is more Villa/Spam/Sunderland/QPR/Stoke than Scum/Pool/Manure

... in will jump the Levy critics that will assure me how somehow "if we had bought player X" in somehow changes the facts above ..

So tired of Spurs fans and media selective memory and/or use of a single financial statement (fudgeing net spend) to comment on Spurs success, ignoring the facts

- The only 3 teams who have won the PL in the last 6 years (my numbers were +1 from chart above) have spent over 1.1 BILLION in spend +wages
- Scum & Pool (who really needs to be measured against the Scum to highlight how much they have underachieved) have both spent 800M+
- We have spent low 400M and have finished in above every one of those teams (except the Scum) in that same time period
- Unbelievably our peers in terms of spend is more Villa/Spam/Sunderland/QPR/Stoke than Scum/Pool/Manure

... in will jump the Levy critics that will assure me how somehow "if we had bought player X" in somehow changes the facts above ..

You know that is true.

lbzDEWt.jpg

I know Levy bashers (Dubai;)) will think what could have been and uncle joes new yacht etc etc BUT to understand where we're going and the monumental undertaking that it is, all i can really do is stand up and applaud Levy for being able to run a club and keep us more competitive than ever on the field while servicing the purchase of land, the commencement of NDP, planning and legal costs, and the completetion of the world class training facility.

I suggest very few other chairman could contemplate, let alone pull off this juggling act. He may sell us on for massive profit later on, but thats the whole point of a business investment, no? and its not like he hasn't put the miles in.

Our time will come (is coming)............it's not Levy's fault that people have lost the art of WAITING.

I saw that, and I'm really struggling to believe that number, that's 20 players a year.

The only way I can imagine that being vaguely possible is if we are counting Academy/Youth players sold/released each year. No way we went through 20 players a year who were at some point actually assigned 1st team numbers ...

My first thought also.

I suggest very few other chairman could contemplate, let alone pull off this juggling act. He may sell us on for massive profit later on, but thats the whole point of a business investment, no? and its not like he hasn't put the miles in.

Spurs fans (not having a go at you Ricky), need to stop perpetrating the flimflam myths ..

#1. Levy/ENIC are cheap and if they would only spend 30-40M more we would be competing. Numbers above show we would have to double our spend which is fiscally not an option
#2. Levy/ENIC are here for a quick sell/profit. They bought the club in 2001, at what point do we agree that they are in it for the long haul? Add in all the challenges of why would anyone try to be yet another sugar daddy in the PL, and the fact that there are a dozen other clubs that could be picked up on the cheap.

So tired of Spurs fans and media selective memory and/or use of a single financial statement (****ing net spend) to comment on Spurs success, ignoring the facts

You don't think that if we had signed Suarez when we had the chance or kept hold of Bale, that it wouldn't have made a difference? A key player or two can make ALL the difference. Berbatov, RVP, Aguero and Costa all made the critical difference to their side winning the title.

Suarez would have made a difference for us because he would have been joining a balanced/settled side at the time - as did the other examples for their respective clubs you mention.

throw any of them in to an unsettled/unbalanced side and they just paper over the cracks

You don't think that if we had signed Suarez when we had the chance or kept hold of Bale, that it wouldn't have made a difference? A key player or two can make ALL the difference. Berbatov, RVP, Aguero and Costa all made the critical difference to their side winning the title.

Ozil, Sanchez, Di Maria all say different ...

- If Scum want to win the title, they need to spend to join the 1B+ team
- If we want to join the top 4, our spend functionally needs to double.

One off, could a big purchase maybe/could be give us a good year, possibly, but like Bale/Saurez, that player will be off next season and we restart. To consistently do it, the numbers are fairly clear.

Suarez would have made a difference for us because he would have been joining a balanced/settled side at the time - as did the other examples for their respective clubs you mention.

throw any of them in to an unsettled/unbalanced side and they just paper over the cracks

You call it papering over the cracks, I call it making a crucial difference.

One off, could a big purchase maybe/could be give us a good year, possibly, but like Bale/Saurez, that player will be off next season and we restart. To consistently do it, the numbers are fairly clear.

Don't kid yourself. If Kane, Lloris, Bentaleb, Eriksen or any of our putative stars have a good season and any major CL side come in with a big offer, they will be off just as fast.

The one thing that would/might change the status quo is if we got into the CL. Ergo, we really need one good season to break into the CL to make that quantum leap. We had several chances (including one CL adventure) but miserably failed to take advantage due to our shortsighted transfer policy when fantastically positioned.

Last edited:

I get your point but you also have to consider the following.

Imagine a scenario where we finish in 4th place above Arsenal. The CL qualification would probably ensure that we could keep every player that we wanted to keep at the club. We would also add around £30 million of turnover as a direct result of CL qualification. Arsenal on the other hand would lose around £30 million of CL revenue and also perhaps see a few players looking to leave the club due to them not being in the CL. One season can then become two seasons and then three and so on.

Had we finished 4th under Jol then I think we would've kept Carrick and then with the addition of Berbatov we probably would've stayed in the top 4. It was perhaps the same story when we did finish 4th and Chelsea won the CL - that summer we may have been able to keep Modric and then qualify again. Of course eventually we'd have to increase our spending, but that would be possible due to the vastly increased income from sponsorship etc that is associated with being a CL team.

I get your point but you also have to consider the following.

Imagine a scenario where we finish in 4th place above Ar5ena1. The CL qualification would probably ensure that we could keep every player that we wanted to keep at the club. We would also add around £30 million of turnover as a direct result of CL qualification. Ar5ena1 on the other hand would lose around £30 million of CL revenue and also perhaps see a few players looking to leave the club due to them not being in the CL. One season can then become two seasons and then three and so on.

Had we finished 4th under Jol then I think we would've kept Carrick and then with the addition of Berbatov we probably would've stayed in the top 4. It was perhaps the same story when we did finish 4th and Chel53a won the CL - that summer we may have been able to keep Modric and then qualify again. Of course eventually we'd have to increase our spending, but that would be possible due to the vastly increased income from sponsorship etc that is associated with being a CL team.

Lot of ifs .. I get the point, and to be fair, that is what we are hoping for, a season where it all works for us (and likely someone else to has to slip up), that then leads to 2 ..

However history and fiscals indicate otherwise

We would also add around £30 million of turnover as a direct result of CL qualification. Ar5ena1 on the other hand would lose around £30 million of CL revenue.
A £60m swing... but they outspend us by £350m over 5 years = £70m per year

Back