• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Southampton - match ratings

Lloris - 7

Naughton - 7
Kaboul - 7
Vert - 7
Rose - 8

Capoue - 8
Mason - 7

Lamela - 7
Eriksen - 6
Chadli - 7

Ade - 5

Subs:
Dier - 7
Dembele - 5
Kane - 5

As I said, Adebayor had one effective moment, the simple ball he played into Chadli which led to Eriksen's goal-that was it! The rest was aimless huff and puff to no effect. Again, how many shots is this guy getting off per match? He is not up to it and must be replaced. You don't get marks for trying hard, which some of my critics must be doing regarding Ade's performance.
Only seen the Sky highlights tonight so cannot really comment, but also listened to 5Live commentators who towards the end of the game were fulsome in their praise for Ade, saying how much more impressive his commitment and workrate for Spurs is than it was for previous clubs he played for.

:-k

Only seen the Sky highlights tonight so cannot really comment, but also listened to 5Live commentators who towards the end of the game were fulsome in their praise for Ade, saying how much more impressive his commitment and workrate for Spurs is than it was for previous clubs he played for.

:-k

Yeah he ran around a lot, tried to press. Unfortunately that is insufficient to hold his place in the side. As I said, marks for effort do not equate to performance!

almost everyone did well, ade's 15 mins of fame was not enough for me but still an improvement. hides too much for me, but i'm glad to see chadli take over his role and starting putting the goals/assists beside his own name.

I gave motm to Rose, an unsung hero who kept us ticking before we started to click. he's been carrying the team for a few games now, with just pure passion and desire to win. reminds me of walker whom we miss a lot.

almost everyone did well, ade's 15 mins of fame was not enough for me but still an improvement. hides too much for me, but i'm glad to see chadli take over his role and starting putting the goals/assists beside his own name.

I gave motm to Rose, an unsung hero who kept us ticking before we started to click. he's been carrying the team for a few games now, with just pure passion and desire to win. reminds me of walker whom we miss a lot.

Me too. Really had a go and doesn't take any **** from anyone. I really like his attitude, has a bit of mongrel about him.

Lloris - 7: a stone wall on the line, although some poor kicking and ball distribution (nothing new)

Naughton - 6.5: was doing well until injury; dangerously misskicked the ball once, but blocked the following shot
Kaboul - 6: was doing okay; misskicked the ball similar to Naughton, which could let to a goal if we didn't have Lloris. Positionally should have done better when Mane received a clear-cut chance on 87th minute. Some people may think he could have been sent off for his foul on Mane, but I'm not sure that action should have been considered as a foul. For me it looked more like a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge.
Vert - 7: solid, no questions.
Rose - 8: overall a fantastic display, his progress under Poch is obvious. Was everywhere and worked his socks off: received the ball a lot, made several great interceptions, looked dangerous going forward.

Capoue - 8: another player who perfoms consistently well and progresses. Was one of the main reasons we totally dominated in the centre midfield against Saints for about 75 minutes. Made several good tackles. Great attitude. As it looked for me, he was wrongly penalised by referee on a couple of occasions.
Mason - 7: did well. Several times recovered the ball and passed it quickly to our attacking midfielders. A very solid display, considering Ryan barely played for us and the kind of oppositions he faced from empty list.

Lamela - 7
Eriksen - 7+1
Chadli - 7
Each player from out attacking midfield trio receives strong 7 points. Eriksen gets additional point for a good goal.
I like their workrate and attitude. It's great to see when your attacking players are closing gaps, trying to recover the ball on the opposite half (and often they succeed in it), then pass it quickly forward/to a free player, trying to provide instant danger. This kind of play we see during last two EPL games and will see further more as it's a product of Poch's playing philosophy. The more I see Lamela the more I love him. Yes, he sometimes needlessly wastes the ball, trying to dribble past 2-3 players, but his movement, attitude, desire to play and to win, to recover the ball if he or his teammate looses it, his seeing and searching of gaps and opened spaces in opposition's defence are just great and prove that he is potentially world-class and is currently on the right way to it. He badly needs a goal in EPL and it will come in October, I have no doubt in it.

Ade - 5+1. Ade gets additional point for vital participation during attacks, one of which has resulted in Eriksen's goal and the other one should have resulted in Chadli's goal. Except this and several won headers he has done nothing useful. Still doesn't provide any direct danger as a striker, wasted one great chance. At least yesterday he opened some space for our midfielders so they could get into finishing positions.

Subs:
Dier - 7: played well, especially in the end, when he won a couple of vital headers.
Dembele - 6 or N/A: didn't make any vitally good or bad actions, but he played for about 10 minutes only.
Kane - N/A

Manager:
Poch - 7. I really like what he's doing with our style of play. If we speak objectively, in summer we had a bunch of ordinary or young/unexperienced, but defenitely talanted players, who, with proper influence, could turn into top-class stars and one unit as a team. Pochettino has a philosophy of dominating in midfield, high-tempo pressing, fast ball recovering and passing, and rather successfully settles it in heads and legs of our players. Many first-team players already look much better than during 13/14 season. Only Ade regressed, but it's another story. However, we face a huger test after the international break.

MoTM:
It was a tough call, but I've chosen Rose as defenders rarely receive deserved praise.

Last edited:
Find some of the ratings mystifying ..

Team as a whole, much better performance, much greater sense of urgency, quicker passing, definitely more threatening. We play Southampton at their own pressing game (which they have had a lot more time to embrace) and looked the more dangerous team.

Lloris - usual quality performance.
Back 4 - much improved, Rose and Naughton (did some great far post covering on a couple of attacks) I will single out as I've been very critical of both in the past.
Mason - decent game, he will need time
Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli - it works, each had spells where they were more/less effective but on another day, all three would have created and scored goals.

Ade ... sorry, outside of about 3 individual plays (one that admittedly led to goal), another sub standard game, really Kane deserves a start at this point.

Was kind of a strange game in that none of our players imo really stood out for being excellent or being poor. Everyone did their job and was a very business like win. Man of the match was tough for me to pick out but I went for Chadli because he set up our goal and was very unlucky not to score a very nice goal. He to me was our biggest danger man going forward.

Back 4 I thought was very good and organized. Special mention to Naughton and Rose who have been two of our most consistent performers this season and I never in a million years expected to be saying that!!

Was impressed with Chadli, Rose, Capoue and Ade who all put in a good shift I thought. As far as the game, it wasn't always a thing of beauty, and prolly was never going to be, but it was the result and getting a win and 3 points that mattered most. Thought that Poch got the lineup and substitutions just about right in this one too, so a good day at the office overall.

What's good about Poch is that whilst he is sticking largely to his preferred starting PL eleven almost regardless, he is still finding room for players who impress in the Euros to show their mettle.

I harbour the strong hope if not expectation that this more than anything else will pay handsome dividends further down the line, once the present lot have really gotten to know and understand each other's game.

Back