• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Refugees & Asylum Seekers Informational

thfcsteff

George Hunt
I'm getting tired in general of just how little people seem to know and thus understand about refugees and asylum seekers.
Rather than continue to get aggravated in other threads, i thought I'd start this one for anyone who has information and knowledge to share.

Racist conspiracy theories will not be tolerated.

I'll start with this overview from Amnesty International...

Here's where the most refugees are coming from as of June 2024

Syria, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Ukraine, Sudan, Myanmar, DR Congo, Somalia...

Historically, it is clear that countries which have endured unwanted European/American interventions and regime changes have suffered greatly. The Afghan Wars and west's reaction to 9/11 have been major drivers in how extremists got their claws into communities and caused devastating harm and horror. War and armed conflict creates refugees; it's easy to see.

According to gov UK, there were approximately 83,154 asylum seekers in the UK as of April 2024...

Could be any of us had the chips fallen differently.

We are all the same species.

Absolutely.

I am tired of people not realizing how the consequences of our nations actions - both historical and current - create refugees who really would rather not be refugees, who would actually much rather be able to not only stay in their homes but would've wanted for their original national roots to not have been twisted and fudged with the create the turmoil in their countries.

Any single person who has felt the need to put their lives (and family's lives) in danger like refugees do when they make the choice to try for asylum deserves to be heard, treated with absolute dignity, and in the vast, vast majority of cases, helped.

Absolutely.

I am tired of people not realizing how the consequences of our nations actions - both historical and current - create refugees who really would rather not be refugees, who would actually much rather be able to not only stay in their homes but would've wanted for their original national roots to not have been twisted and fudged with the create the turmoil in their countries.

Any single person who has felt the need to put their lives (and family's lives) in danger like refugees do when they make the choice to try for asylum deserves to be heard, treated with absolute dignity, and in the vast, vast majority of cases, helped.

After last nights news about those kids in Southport, which is utterly devastating BTW, the rhetoric from the extreme right just ramps up. Its also shameful using kids deaths as propaganda rather than respecting the parents grief but thats another story.

I just now get bored of hearing that all Muslims are child r4pists and anyone coming into the country is a dangerous murderer, I also had when the terms illegal immigrant get conflated with just immigrants as a whole especially when our economy could not survive with out a large portion of them, the rhetoric that immigrants are not wanted with messages like "immigrants not welcome" just means those here lawfully want working get an unfair hard time, I was on the train back to Essex from London last week and some macaron made a quip about someone clearly on the way back from work that they should eff off back home, its just grim

I would like to recommend an excellent book (graphic nobel) by Joe Sacco called 'Journalism' - he travels all over the world and meets with refugees in various situations and tells their stories. It's an excellent (albeit heartbreaking) read. Highly recommend it if you would like to read some personal accounts of what its like to be on the run from your own home.

I agree a lot in life depends where you are born and we were lucky to be born in England.

But for a harmonious country I think more should be done to vet those claiming asylum.

Oddly David Cameron had a plan to set up un camps round the world where by you could process and bring them in from there. I say oddly because it struck me as a very good idea and I hated him as a prime minister.

I have heard even Nigel Farage say that this country has an obligation to house asylum seekers. So I often think when some trot out the saying that they are all Nazis they are not only wrong but put up right wing people's back(think on purpose) and make for a more disjointed society.

Even the Conservative government would not release figures on the exact amount spent on housing asylum seekers and successive governments who love to record everything do not record crime committed by asylum seekers so this leads to conspiracy theories and often unfair tarnishing of large groups of people committed by just a few.

Rumours are that like on the continent we will soon have a registered Muslim party with candidates standing at elections. Not sure why any of the religions need an actual political party.

* im Catholic but don't believe and would rather all forms of religion were banned in this country. Tottenham is my religion

Last edited:
I would like to recommend an excellent book (graphic nobel) by Joe Sacco called 'Journalism' - he travels all over the world and meets with refugees in various situations and tells their stories. It's an excellent (albeit heartbreaking) read. Highly recommend it if you would like to read some personal accounts of what its like to be on the run from your own home.

His books 'Palestine' and 'Safe Area Gorazde' are also spectacular.

That’s the kicker
I saw a comedian recently talk it like this
“Your in the lottery of where you mum and dad shag
Your only as lucky as where your dad pumps his load”
They were right and described a series topic a funny way
It was met with quite a bit of silence too as people kinda reflected

Read a great line today, seemed relevant to this thread. From Empireland by Sathnam Sanghera.
Great line. Cheers.

I think this mirrors a lot of the fear narratives of the nationalists, fascists and racists more generally too. They know how they act when in the majority. They know what they would do with real power over other human beings. They project that onto others and don't understand that other people don't think and feel like they do. So of course the immigrants will want to destroy or subjugate "our" culture, that's what human beings want to do with other cultures, because that's what they want.

It's a bit of an overstatement, but with some people every accusation seems like an admission.

I think some are just anxious because some things get covered up, like the Rotherham grooming gangs and the closed courts around that and allegedly similar incidents.

Agree the empire was wrong and I would not defend it. But I know people who are concerned when they hear certain religions say that they want their laws to come and they should be subject to those laws and not the general UK ones. I don't have those links but have heard that over the years.

Britain is no where near perfect but our laws have got us to a fairly good place. Homesexuals are not generally persecuted and women have equal rights. It does not seem that way for some sections of our society though. So I can understand the concern some then have that the fabric of our liberal society is changing for the worse. From arranged marriage to the discrimination of gay people etc.

Im fairly relaxed by it all and no where near as political active as I was. But I can say that I feel the vibe is similar to around 2007/8 when UKIP started making inroads.

Think the will be something big in the future that shocks people politically unless more is done to integrate all in our country. Im talking 10 years time and I will almost certainly be dead by then.

Would like to hope the country left behind for my son is still the just and free country it is now, I know some like to talk down Britain but I would hate our freedom's to dissappear.

Back