• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

The way this is worded confuses me utterly.. double and triple negatives...

So i'm just gonna say i would not be against hiring someone who has never managed a 'big club'..

(Though that's not to say i'd be happy hiring just any manager)

If Harry dies I want to hire Eileen Drewery

I like how it started with 'For the sake of clarity'.

:) Haha, I think it's fairly clear! "Would you be categorically against hiring any manager who had not previously had success with a club of our size / objectives?"

When I say for the sake of clarity, I mean that I think people need to be a bit clearer on exactly what they're trying to argue.... there are a few different points being argued..... and I don't think anyone is arguing the point that ArcspacE is trying to argue against!

That clearer?! 8-[

:) Haha, I think it's fairly clear! "Would you be categorically against hiring any manager who had not previously had success with a club of our size / objectives?"

When I say for the sake of clarity, I mean that I think people need to be a bit clearer on exactly what they're trying to argue.... there are a few different points being argued..... and I don't think anyone is arguing the point that ArcspacE is trying to argue against!

That clearer?! 8-[

No.

Yes.

;)

Braineclipse,

No offence, mate - but you sound like the kind of guy who lines up his different colour pens at work and calculates food can weight vs price at the supermarket then estimates the best deal available. I do that too sometimes and have great respect for that kind of attitude but I'm afraid this kind of logic has little place / application in football.

Are you an accountant / statistician by any chance?

You cannot scientifcally prove who would be the better choice even if 999 examples before him proved wrong or right. There are many, many more variables and very few of those are 'measurable'. To suggest low experience managers would be worse choice based on statistical probability is the equivalent of playing lotto with a 'system'

No offense taken. :) I'm not actually "that guy". In Norway supermarkets are required by law to display the price per kilo/liter/meter etc for all products so I do look at those since they're already there and I'm glad they are there even if I far from always choose the cheapest versions seeing as I don't like cardboard tasting pasta sauce or toilet paper induced rectal bleeding.

I have some experience with statistics, but I'm far from a statistician. I'm quite into scepticism though and I'm interested in the way we think and why, logical fallacies and things like that. Part of that is the seemingly almost instinctual way humans accept anecdotal, one example "evidence" as significant even though it offers very little actual evidence.

You cannot scientifically prove who would be the better choice, I agree and I have not argued that you can. You can however improve your chances of success in a game of incomplete information by studying that information (not necessarily talking about statistics here).

I agree that there is no currently available statistic that proves that low experience managers would be worse appointments than high experience managers. Thus I have not tried to provide any statistical information to prove this, I have however said that your one in one, Harry succeeded, statistic doesn't prove the opposite either. And seeing as you say that even 999 examples proved wrong or right before him wouldn't scientifically prove anything either way (something I agree with) I would think you would agree with me that one single example (Harry) proved right before the next one is (at least) largely irrelevant.

IMO 12 seasons in the PL with these finishes makes Redknapp a hell of a lot more proven than any of Rodgers, Martinez, Lambert:

14, 10, 14, 8, 5, 9, 15 with West Ham who had only been up for one season when he took over.

Won Division One with Portsmouth, then 13, 16, 17, 9, 8 before moving to us. There was a short spell with Southampton in there as well, but not much had changed with Portsmouth when he came back.

He had shown twice that he can improve a team over time given financial backing. Yes, they spent beyond their means, but we have far bigger resources than either Wham or Pompey. His style of management and how he got his teams to play would be well known to Levy. His main asset being getting the very best out of players. He was not an unknown quantity. Based on his previous experience it was likely to assume would have us fighting for top 6 once we had taken care of more immediate problems.

Lambert and Rodgers have won promotion and stayed up. Martinez has kept his team up for three seasons. Hiring any of them is a higher risk, regardless of the circumstances, but if we get the right one we could get even better than we are now.

someone else made the point a few posts before yours, Nayim i think - judging a manager on numbers and stats (league finishes/cup wins etc) is not the best way (in several posters opinions in this thread) to judge whether he is the right man for the job, as they are achievements under different circumstances - a better way to judge a manager is to look at what it is they do and see what skills they have which they would bring to your club .

getting West Ham to the league finishes that you mention above is a fairly useless statistic by itself as it tells you nothing about how Redknapp manages his team, as it happens earlier in this thread i looked a little deeper in to his achievements with both Portsmouth and West Ham and his above average spell with West Ham coincided with and excellent crop of of youngsters coming through the ranks and at Portsmouth the club outspent every one of their rivals to gain promotion and when in the premiership they continued to out spend the bottom half sides on wages attracting players their rivals couldn't afford - so, just by looking a little bit deeper than just the figures presented you start to see that there are outside factors he can not rely on here - hence my belief that there are better ways to judge a manager than just to look at the records.

Keane - We were desperate for a proven striker at the time. Getting him back for less than we sold him for was a good move. We couldn't know that Rafa had managed to fudge him up that much

Crouch - Again we needed someone like him and maybe there wasn't anyone else available. Apart from making everyone start hitting it long he did well for us.

Palacios - Absolutely crucial at the time.

Bassong - Very promising talent at the time. Put in a great shift in his first season. Hasn't had the desired development.

Pienaar - Didn't cost much, could cover several positions, had looked good for Everton for several seasons.

What amazing players did Redknapp get rid of to bring in these?

I agree, at the time Keane was vital. He was a leader when we didn't have one.
Agree re: Palacios.
Agree re: Bassong, but this is where Harry first started to take his eye off the ball as he did not man-manage him as well as he could have.
Agree re: Crouch, and again, for me he should either have kept Crouch this past season or Pav. Instead he sold Crouch and proceeded to marginalize Pav. Poor man management. By the end, Pav had to go because he was awful focus, but in fairness, he'd had the life and confidence sucked out of him by a manager who had clearly given up on him.
Agree re: Pienaar and, IMHO, is the one which will haunt Harry forever. Had he found a way to keep him happier/rotate him, we'd have had right/left balance in lennon's absence, Luka could've stayed in the middle, bale could've stayed left and we'd have got an extra points from the season IMHO. That Harry allowed him to go points to someone who just wasn't as focussed as usual...

I would also say that his pick-up of Gudjohnsen was inspired.

Having said all that, they are mostly short-term solutions. Harry doesn't look long. That's an issue and a big one IMHO...

Last edited:
Agree re: Crouch, and again, for me he should either have kept Crouch this past season or Pav. Instead he sold Crouch and proceeded to marginalize Pav. Poor man management. By the end, Pav had to go because he was awful focus, but in fairness, he'd had the life and confidence sucked out of him by a manager who had clearly given up on him.

I think that Harry would have much rather have sold Pav than Crouch last summer but he was under pressure from Levy to reduce the size of the squad and we received a bid for Crouch but not Pav.

Or he is looking to build a team for the coming season and immediate success.

I would say that is a fair comment, and therein lies the problem. Its pointless us having a few top four finishes if we do not build on them, we need to look at long term success rather then short term because if that's what we decide to do we will go backwards again.

I dont find that a sustainable strategy for any club of our aspirations

What if those players back-fire - they have no re sale and are dead invetments. With younger players you can still cut your losses if they turn out brick.

He s been doing thay for most of his late career so i wouldnt expect him to change

who needs facts when wild speculation, guesswork and good old - plain and simple, just making things up will do just fine.

I dont find that a sustainable strategy for any club of our aspirations

What if those players back-fire - they have no re sale and are dead invetments. With younger players you can still cut your losses if they turn out brick.

He s been doing thay for most of his late career so i wouldnt expect him to change

He's doing both, he has improved most of the players that he inherited, has strengthened with experienced players where he has felt that we needed it and I can't remember the last time we had this many kids coming into first team squad contention. If Naughton and Caulker come back to us next season then along with Walker and Livermore we would have four home grown(ish) players in genuine competition for first team places.

Im not disputing any of that. The original point was made about some of his short term transfers to which i gave my possible explanation.

It wasnt a dig a Arry - unsure why you took it as such. You also seem desperate to prove him right no matter the criticism, as constructive as it might be

Tell me, Milo - is Arry accountable for anything in this club and what managerial aspects would you like him to improve on for the next season. If any!

Tell me, Milo - is Arry accountable for anything in this club and what managerial aspects would you like him to improve on for the next season. If any!

Of course he is, he is ultimately responsible for the teams performance and results and I would like to see him improve results next season. Winning something would be nice too.

Indeed. I can't believe after all these years that people STILL believe in building for the future is a viable strategy ](*,) Building for the future starts at academy level. It is impossible to build for the future in terms of the first team squad.

For the 645th time

Redknapp was exactly that (relative to managing a big club) and yet he was given his first job at a big club and look how it turned out

The fact we were in a middle of a mess back then (when he arrived) changes nothing from our bigger/overall objectives - else Levy would have offered him a 9-month contract to 'save us' and then looked elsewhere.

David Moyes IS a proven manager.
Martin O'Neill IS a proven manager.

Years in the top flight, getting teams into comfortable positions IS a proven Manager. Three of four seasons at the helm battling relegation? Not a proven Manager. First year in the Premiership and get your team finishing top half of the table against all odds? Not a proven Manager.

Indeed. I can't believe after all these years that people STILL believe in building for the future is a viable strategy ](*,) Building for the future starts at academy level. It is impossible to build for the future in terms of the first team squad.

that's one of the most stupid statements i have ever seen in my entire life

don't build for the future ! spend all you money now ! in the moment ! who cares what happens a couple of seasons down the line - it'll be someone else's problem by then ! don't buy young players on the cheap who can potentially mature in to world class players that we can't attract now !

yea what a ridiculous notion

Back