• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Southampton

Lloris 6 - might have done better to have come off his line for at least one of the goals

Naughton 4 - ludicrous schoolboy errors marred an otherwise decent display, credit to him for not letting it get to him

Kaboul 7 - one or two minor brainfarts, otherwise solid, plus a couple of decent floated balls from deep for Soldado and Eriksen to latch onto

Verts 6 - did okay but there's definintely something not right with him nowadays

Rose 4 - dodgy at the back and his attempts at crossing were dogs***e

Lennon 5 - helped out at the back but too little from him up front

Dembele 5 - not much from him either

Bentaleb 6 - contributed well apart from the odd brainfart

Eriksen 9 - two goals and assist capped off a sparkling display of intelligent passing and sheer energy all over the park

Chadli 6 - after the Lord Mayor's show on Thursday it was back to mediocrity today

Soldado 7 - still no goals but many quality touches and an excellent assist

Subs

Sigurdsson 7 - ran about a lot to not much effect until he came up with that peach of a winner in time added on

Townsend 4 - someone needs to get hold of him by the throat and demand that he PASSES the f***ing thing once in a while

Lloris 6 - might have done better to have come off his line for at least one of the goals

Exactly my thoughts. But I wonder if he is trying to rein this in a bit. 90% of the time he gets it right but he is very very lucky not to have got a red this season from some if the times he has got it wrong

My lessons and observations from today

Eriksen - This guy has amazing potential, has to play, we need to accommodate him as much as we accommodated Modric
Soldado - Anyone who thought this guy was a finisher only, needs to watch today's game, would have been on the scoresheet if a couple of our players could pass (and people giving him a 7, watch the game again, if that performance was from Ade, people would be drooling)

If Sherwood doesn't play these two every game they are available till the end of season I don't know what to say

Naughton - surely the guy's last game in a Spurs shirt? awful, awful stuff from a player who has shown nothing.
Rose - poor as usual

Lennon & Townsend - desperately out of form

Think what we saw when Siggy came on is we need a second ball passing player in midfield alongside Eriksen, Bentaleb/Sandro can play the holding role.

TS - poor initial balance, did nothing to address the naughton issue

Game was won on the force of Eriksen/Soldado playing their asses off ...

To be fair, looking at our bench, what was he supposed to do to address the Naughton issue? Naughton isn't the issue for me, as if everyone's fit he doesn't play. Rose is the issue for me as he is first choice left-back for a side with top 4 aspirations. Measured against those requirements, he is woefully lacking.

Aaron Lennon - Simply invisible. Please sell him.

3 assist this season - Including that handball penalty vs Palace on the first day..
1 goals - That lucky deflected goal vs Stoke when the game was over..

+1. Too often it seems we are attacking with one man less. Two, if invisiblinho is playing!

MOM Eriksen

Very Good: Kaboul, Soldado, Siggy, Chadli

Average; Bentaleb, Jan, Rose, Lloris

****: Lennon (as per usual Anonymous Aaron is a great shout), Naughton, Dembele

LLORIS: 7 - made a massive stop at 1-2, and his kicking was improved.

NAUGHON: 5 - unbelievably poor for their goals, did okay after the interval.
KABOUL: 6 - shaky at the start but got better as the game went on.
VERTONGHEN: 6 - dreadful first half, picked it up in the second.
ROSE: 4 - shocking, and I hate his hardman act.

BENTALEB: 6 - wasn't poor, wasn't good.

LENNON: 6 - ineffective, worked hard though.
CHADLI: 6 - didn't do much of note but won a few headers.
DEMBELE: 3 - had SUCH a poor half. Must have been injured or something to be that bad, not an excuse though.
ERIKSEN: 8 - two easy goals but well placed for them. Had a very impressive half hour spell in the second half where he used his freedom well.

SOLDADO: 7 - his best performance yet in terms of link up play. Real lack of movement however.

SIGURDSSON: 7 - pretty average in truth but a great goal to nick it.
TOWNSEND: 5 - pointless.

LLORIS: 7 - made a massive stop at 1-2, and his kicking was improved.

NAUGHON: 5 - unbelievably poor for their goals, did okay after the interval.
KABOUL: 6 - shaky at the start but got better as the game went on.
VERTONGHEN: 6 - dreadful first half, picked it up in the second.
ROSE: 4 - shocking, and I hate his hardman act.

BENTALEB: 6 - wasn't poor, wasn't good.

LENNON: 6 - ineffective, worked hard though.
CHADLI: 6 - didn't do much of note but won a few headers.
DEMBELE: 3 - had SUCH a poor half. Must have been injured or something to be that bad, not an excuse though.
ERIKSEN: 8 - two easy goals but well placed for them. Had a very impressive half hour spell in the second half where he used his freedom well.

SOLDADO: 7 - his best performance yet in terms of link up play. Real lack of movement however.

SIGURDSSON: 7 - pretty average in truth but a great goal to nick it.
TOWNSEND: 5 - pointless.

go watch the game again (seriously)

there are at least three occasions where he is free of defender in 6 yard box waiting for tap in and someone either provides a **** poor pass or doesn't pick him at all (Townsend and Eriksen). His movement was fine today.

I noticed that, but I mean in general - when we have the ball on halfway, he should be busting a gut to make runs in the channels but he just stands with hands on hips, waits for ball to play a fancy flick to someone.

I've credited him for playing well today, that's just a part of his game that is a huge handicap for me.

Eriksen - This guy has amazing potential, has to play, we need to accommodate him as much as we accommodated Modric
Soldado - Anyone who thought this guy was a finisher only, needs to watch today's game, would have been on the scoresheet if a couple of our players could pass (and people giving him a 7, watch the game again, if that performance was from Ade, people would be drooling)

If Sherwood doesn't play these two every game they are available till the end of season I don't know what to say

Naughton - surely the guy's last game in a Spurs shirt? awful, awful stuff from a player who has shown nothing.
Rose - poor as usual

Think what we saw when Siggy came on is we need a second ball passing player in midfield alongside Eriksen, Bentaleb/Sandro can play the holding role.

Thank **** for that. I thought I had watched a different game to everyone else.

Some of the ratings given are terrible, for starters bar the two brain farts by Naughton today we would have had a clean sheet. Kaboul and Vertonghen deserve at least a 7.
Those in the attacking side of the team played well also.. I think Southampton have only allowed something like 16 goals away from home. They bar Lennon probably deserved a 7 at the vey least.
In Midfield Dembele was clearly not fit and shouldn't really be given a rating, whilst Bentalab was steady and deserved also at least a 7. Siggurdson has been a bit of a revelation in the middle IMO and should at least an 8.
Rose was competent.. but average again 6. Naughton was a 5, despite the two errors he wasn't that bad.

Soldado for me was the MOM. I'll be gutted after that performance he is dropped yet again.. he clearly needs a run of games. Runners up Eriksen and Chadli.

Rose - poor as usual

Spot on.

Possibly bobbys best game in a spurs shirt yesterday, his hold up game was excellent, won more in the air than he had any right to, movement was great and his link up play was sublime. His one touch lay off to Eriksen at the end of the first off was unreal and Eriksen probably should have scored from it.
Yes, he needs a goal, but with all round play like that and teeing up others, does it matter?
His and Eriksens understanding was on another level, the 2 most intelligent players in yesterday's line up and in our squad.

If only chadli could have found the pass in the dieing minutes to give him the goal his performance deserved. The roof would have come off the ground.

Last edited:
Possibly bobbys best game in a spurs shirt yesterday, his hold up game was excellent, won more in the air than he had any right to, movement was great and his link up play was sublime. His one touch lay off to Eriksen at the end of the first off was unreal and Eriksen probably should have scored from it.
Yes, he needs a goal, but with all round play like that and teeing up others, does it matter?
His and Eriksens understanding was on another level, the 2 most intelligent players in yesterday's line up and in our squad.

If only chadli could have found the pass in the dieing minutes to give him the goal his performance deserved. The roof would have come off the ground.

Eriksen didn't score from the lay-off because two Saints players lunged in for him, not even caring about the ball and he had to break his stride to jump over them and avoid his legs being chopped off. The referee should have given a penalty, and Eriksen appealed for it, but he didn't.

And people wonder why players dive?

Eriksen didn't score from the lay-off because two Saints players lunged in for him, not even caring about the ball and he had to break his stride to jump over them and avoid his legs being chopped off. The referee should have given a penalty, and Eriksen appealed for it, but he didn't.

Cynical, but I really think he should just leave his leg in there, get fouled and pick up the penalty and probably a sending off.

Look at Neymar against Real yesterday. Yes, it's cynical, but when defenders are late and go sliding in that's what happens. As it was Eriksen wasn't touched by the defender, but jumping out of their way did impede him and made it more difficult to get the ball. That's not exactly fair either.

I thought he should have taken a bit of contact and gone down myself. Even though Eriksen hurdled both tackles the act of doing so stopped him scoring really. Sublime lay off by Soldado.

I agree about this by the way. And although I hope Ade is back for Liverpool as I think we'll need his physical presence I will be positive about Soldado being able to hurt Liverpool if he does start.

soldado and eriksen were my men of the match

naughton = not good enough

sherwood needs to complete his coaching badges - that high line without a player tracking late runs in the opposite direction to the defence line is plain suicide, it could have been 3 or 4 by half time.

10 to the players - its obvious that finally they ditched the system in the first half and just went on to do what they can. it was a mess, there was no style, but there was substance from individual contributions and in the end it was overwhelming.

Cynical, but I really think he should just leave his leg in there, get fouled and pick up the penalty and probably a sending off.

Look at Neymar against Real yesterday. Yes, it's cynical, but when defenders are late and go sliding in that's what happens. As it was Eriksen wasn't touched by the defender, but jumping out of their way did impede him and made it more difficult to get the ball. That's not exactly fair either.

Would never have guessed you of all posters on here would come out and openly sanction cheating braineclipse. Because that is what diving is, regardless of the circumstances.

What IS the point of football if it ultimately comes down to who is the best at cheating? At the end of the day we have to trust the referee.

Besides, I'm not convinced that diving pays. Sometimes, perhaps, but maybe if a certain Gareth Bale had not acquired such a reputation for over-reacting when fouled last season we might just have made it into the CL.

Sure the ref makes far too many mistakes, but if we try to take the law into our own hands do we not merely sink to the level of those clubs we despise most for their gamesmanship?

No thank you.

Would never have guessed you of all posters on here would come out and openly sanction cheating braineclipse. Because that is what diving is, regardless of the circumstances.

What IS the point of football if it ultimately comes down to who is the best at cheating? At the end of the day we have to trust the referee.

Besides, I'm not convinced that diving pays. Sometimes, perhaps, but maybe if a certain Gareth Bale had not acquired such a reputation for over-reacting when fouled last season we might just have made it into the CL.

Sure the ref makes far too many mistakes, but if we try to take the law into our own hands do we not merely sink to the level of those clubs we despise most for their gamesmanship?

No thank you.

But Eriksen was fouled, he was prevented from having a clear shot on goal by two lunges that didnt even attempt to win the ball. The ref didnt give it as Eriksen didnt fall
but he should have had the pen.

I dont see the exaggeration in tgis case as cheating as he was clearly fouled and falling over would have just meant making sure he got what he should have got

Back