• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Sheff Utd

Oh and Davies was atrocious offered nothing going forward and all of their attacks came down his side one to forget 4 as a ratings and that's being generous

wow .. miserable sods .. We are going to Wembley!!!

and to the people who give Eriksen poor ratings .. really??

Watched the game after knowing the score, we could have easily been out of sight by half time.

Couple of points, much smarter by Poch having Dembele & Stambouli (adds a bit more physicality)

Kane leading the line makes us look much more dangerous, on another night he would have had a first half hatrick.

Vorm - 6: Largely untroubled, dropped one easy claim, couldn't do much for the goals.

Walker - 6: Silly challenge aside, he was generally solid. We missed him greatly in the early part of this season.
Dier - 6.5: Continues to grow in stature, will be a colossus in the future.
Verts - 7: Solid as a rock, good guidance for Dier.
Davies - 5: Offered nothing going forward and once again struggled to deal with an ageing Campbell-Ryce.

Lamela - 7.5: I will never understand the abuse he gets on here, he has a brilliant attitude and makes things happen. He will only continue to improve each game.
Dembele - 8.5: MOTM, bossed midfield, probably shouldn't have been subbed in hindsight.
Stambouli - 7: Solid as ever, made some encouraging breaks forward.
Mason - 7: See above.
Eriksen - 6 + 2 for his goals = 8. He was largely ineffective outside of scoring, which is a positive, once he starts influencing games more he will be unstoppable.

Kane - 7: Worked tirelessly as expected, nothing really came off for him (aside from the assist.) Was a bit selfish at times, however I guess the best strikers are.

Subs.
Townsend - 5: Anonymous for the goals and hardly involved, badly affected our team shape and gave the ball away on a number of occasions.
Paulinho - 6: Did his job, solid.
Rose - NA: Not enough time.

Moving Mason out of CM changed the game completely - it was the turning point

I would argue that Townsend coming on for Lamela changed the game completely. Until then there was coverage on either side. I have no idea what on earth Townsend was doing, but it seemed several counties away from Yorkshire whatever it was. Our entire shape collapsed. For 10 minutes after he came on, I thought Paulinho was absolutely fine. Conversely,I didn't see it as a 'straight swap' between the pair more than the sort of thing Poch is looking for in the team i.e players who can swap off roles. Let's face it, he would not have let Dembele and Mason swap like that as we all know Dembele slows us up from deep and we could not afford that, however it is arguable that Paulinho and Mason can both play as AM and CM. I noticed the shift prominently when Townsend came on, and if Poch dropped any gonad at all, it might've been in not dropping back to 'stay-in-your-station' mode and telling Mason to hang deep because Townsend 'might' not cover. Of course, I have to guess that neither Poch or Mason knew Townsend would have such an 'off' night in that regard...anyway...we are through! hahahaha!

And sorry, to keep on point...

Vorm - 5...fills me with fear. I was furious when he screamed at Dier in the second-half; if you're not coming to the edge of the box, order him to clear it. Don't wait and then yell at him! Hugo HAS to play at Wembley and if Vorm doesn't like it, off you go mate, bye-bye...

Walker - 6.5...he was decent but these Sheff U games have deff got under his skin
Dier - 6.5...liked him generally. Was exposed a bit in that mad flurry, but wasn't alone.
Verts - 7.5...extra marks for sticking up for Vorm at the end and showing balls. Had everything wrapped up for three-quarters of the match.
Davies - 6...not nearly as poor as the first-leg and was generally comfortable until 'the mad flurry'

Lamela - 7...if ever we saw what he does that is missed while he's doing it, please take not of what happened 4 minutes after he left the pitch. IF he learns to release quicker, he will rule the roost.
Dembele - 7...a fine performance in a role/area of the pitch which is good for him.
Stambouli - 7...great effort from Benji, who has worked tirelessly to push past deficiencies in his game. He will never be world class but his industry was great.
Mason - 7.5...we can finally see Mason getting match-fit again, and this was a return to his earlier season form. Great game.
Eriksen - 8...never stopped working, something which always impresses me from skill boys in the modern game where 'luxury players' cannot live successfully. And those goals!!!!!

Kane - 7...was at the heart of anything going forwards which mattered. On another night he score two. What a pass at the end. Such quality and confidence.

Subs.

Townsend - 3...nearly cost us the game. First failure to track perhaps he gets a grudging half-pass. Second failure? No. Sorry. A shame because he should be such a potent weapon but he seems to forget simple stuff sometimes.

Paulinho - 6...he was OK. Would like to see him remain personally.

Rose - 6...didn't do anything silly when he came on.

Poch - 7...Townsend coming on nearly upset the balance of everything, but other than those 4 minutes, we owned the match.

Last edited:
Vorm - 5...fills me with fear. I was furious when he screamed at Dier in the second-half; if you're not coming to the edge of the box, order him to clear it. Don't wait and then yell at him! Hugo HAS to play at Wembley and if Vorm doesn't like it, off you go mate, bye-bye...

I've been really disappointed with everything I've seen of Vorm this season. He just looks a poor player.

He's slow off his line, looks small in his goal, doesn't communicate with his defence and his kicking is appalling.

And yes - that incident with Dier was shameful on his part. I noticed the two were cold towards each other at the final whistle too

I've been really disappointed with everything I've seen of Vorm this season. He just looks a poor player.

He's slow off his line, looks small in his goal, doesn't communicate with his defence and his kicking is appalling.

And yes - that incident with Dier was shameful on his part. I noticed the two were cold towards each other at the final whistle too

Are you for real? He's had several "world class" saves in the few games he's played. He had a miss against Leicester, happens to everyone. I'd say we are very lucky to have him as our nr 2.

Are you for real? He's had several "world class" saves in the few games he's played. He had a miss against Leicester, happens to everyone. I'd say we are very lucky to have him as our nr 2.

I didn't see the Leicester match.

I'm more going on what I saw stood 10 yards behind him in the second half last night. He looked completely out of his depth and panicky.

He was poor in the first leg too (his kicking primarily).

I didn't see the Leicester match.

I'm more going on what I saw stood 10 yards behind him in the second half last night. He looked completely out of his depth and panicky.

He was poor in the first leg too (his kicking primarily).

Can't say that a player is poor based on two games. Who would rather you have instead? (realistically)

I would argue that Townsend coming on for Lamela changed the game completely. Until then there was coverage on either side. I have no idea what on earth Townsend was doing, but it seemed several counties away from Yorkshire whatever it was. Our entire shape collapsed. For 10 minutes after he came on, I thought Paulinho was absolutely fine. Conversely,I didn't see it as a 'straight swap' between the pair more than the sort of thing Poch is looking for in the team i.e players who can swap off roles. Let's face it, he would not have let Dembele and Mason swap like that as we all know Dembele slows us up from deep and we could not afford that, however it is arguable that Paulinho and Mason can both play as AM and CM. I noticed the shift prominently when Townsend came on, and if Poch dropped any cobbler at all, it might've been in not dropping back to 'stay-in-your-station' mode and telling Mason to hang deep because Townsend 'might' not cover. Of course, I have to guess that neither Poch or Mason knew Townsend would have such an 'off' night in that regard...anyway...we are through! hahahaha!

And sorry, to keep on point...

Walker - 6.5...he was decent but these Sheff U games have deff got under his skin
Dier - 6.5...liked him generally. Was exposed a bit in that mad flurry, but wasn't alone.
Verts - 7.5...extra marks for sticking up for Vorm at the end and showing balls. Had everything wrapped up for three-quarters of the match.
Davies - 6...not nearly as poor as the first-leg and was generally comfortable until 'the mad flurry'

Lamela - 7...if ever we saw what he does that is missed while he's doing it, please take not of what happened 4 minutes after he left the pitch. IF he learns to release quicker, he will rule the roost.
Dembele - 7...a fine performance in a role/area of the pitch which is good for him.
Stambouli - 7...great effort from Benji, who has worked tirelessly to push past deficiencies in his game. He will never be world class but his industry was great.
Mason - 7.5...we can finally see Mason getting match-fit again, and this was a return to his earlier season form. Great game.
Eriksen - 8...never stopped working, something which always impresses me from skill boys in the modern game where 'luxury players' cannot live successfully. And those goals!!!!!

Kane - 7...was at the heart of anything going forwards which mattered. On another night he score two. What a pass at the end. Such quality and confidence.

Subs.

Townsend - 3...nearly cost us the game. First failure to track perhaps he gets a grudging half-pass. Second failure? No. Sorry. A shame because he should be such a potent weapon but he seems to forget simple stuff sometimes.

Paulinho - 6...he was OK. Would like to see him remain personally.

Rose - 6...didn't do anything silly when he came on.

Poch - 7...Townsend coming on nearly upset the balance of everything, but other than those 4 minutes, we owned the match.

Agree with this 100%. Was at the game last night and I was screaming at Vorm to shut his mouth when he was having a go at Dier. Not sure what he was up to there - he'd caused the problem in the first place. Clever way to cover up your own mistake by shouting at your own player.
I think you're being slightly kind to us that it was a "mad 4 minutes". I felt comfortable until that first goal went in. After that we totally panicked - absolutely zero composure, we started launching long balls. Led to the 2nd goal and could've led to more - they had chances. The Eriksen goal came out of nowhere and was not in keeping with the last 12-13 mins. We were wide open in that period. Its an achilles heel - happened at Palace a few weeks back. In control in a game, the opposition score and then all hell breaks loose and our game shape is lost. We need to get a handle on that and pretty fast!

I thought MoPo's mistake last night was allowing Paulinho to play the deeper role whilst pushing Mason further up. That was abs madness to me. Mason was having a solid game alongside Benji, and Paulinho is most def NOT a get-stuck-in-there-son kinda tackler, let alone against a L1 side on a cold midweek night!!

When Pauli came on, he seemed to signal "10mins" to Mason which i assumed either meant just sit deep for ten and i'll push on. I didn't expect the opposite!!!
For me, the chance their young lad had a 2-1 came as a direct result of Pauli not tracking his run into the box. The time and space he had at that stage of the game with one goal to decide it was criminal. If it wasn't for the slight bobble he could well have leathered that in. Pauli doesn't have the discipline or defensive mind to play in a midfield two.

In MoPo i trust, but some of his decisions lately (Kane 2nd striker role, Ade captain, Davies over Rose etc) have left me wondering..and worrying!!

Couldn't agree more mate. Lloris shouts but NOT like that and NOT to humiliate. In fact, you could say that was a factor in the nerves creeping in, as it definitely shook Dier up. I'd sell Vorm in the summer if possible...

Vorm done nothing wrong yesterday. Just seems to be criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

I thought MoPo's mistake last night was allowing Paulinho to play the deeper role whilst pushing Mason further up. That was abs madness to me. Mason was having a solid game alongside Benji, and Paulinho is most def NOT a get-stuck-in-there-son kinda tackler, let alone against a L1 side on a cold midweek night!!

When Pauli came on, he seemed to signal "10mins" to Mason which i assumed either meant just sit deep for ten and i'll push on. I didn't expect the opposite!!!
For me, the chance their young lad had a 2-1 came as a direct result of Pauli not tracking his run into the box. The time and space he had at that stage of the game with one goal to decide it was criminal. If it wasn't for the slight bobble he could well have leathered that in. Pauli doesn't have the discipline or defensive mind to play in a midfield two.

In MoPo i trust, but some of his decisions lately (Kane 2nd striker role, Ade captain, Davies over Rose etc) have left me wondering..and worrying!!

That's a good point, I will have to look at that situation again as I only saw it the once and even then I was too busy thinking fudge THIS'...when the geezer missed that, I felt they had blown their chance, because any decent top pro would've said 'enough's enough, no more wizard's sleeve in this fudging half!'...I still think it is worth noting strongly that for 10 minutes, the Paulinho sub had minimal effect with regards to 'spiking' Sheff Utd endeavor. The Lamela sub really hurt us there IMO. I think Davies over Rose was fine. I'd have worried that Rose might have got a red card on a night like that, although I probably should not be worrying about stuff like that from professionals who SHOULD be able to keep themselves in check.

Vorm done nothing wrong yesterday. Just seems to be criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

I think the incident(s) being pointed out are quite clear, at that point it comes down to a case of taste in keepers and for me, he's not good enough (cue three years time when he is the world's #1, our main man who bumped Hugo and they coach clinics in his name!!!!!!!!!)

I think the incident(s) being pointed out are quite clear, at that point it comes down to a case of taste in keepers and for me, he's not good enough (cue three years time when he is the world's #1, our main man who bumped Hugo and they coach clinics in his name!!!!!!!!!)

Good enough for what? Being a number two?

I think Vorm is a top keeper , certainly premeirship standard, but not being the recognised number one brings with it, pressures of it's own.

I often had the feeling from watching him when he were with Swansea, that at times he were brilliant and on other occasions thought , he could've done so much better there.

Does have a tendency to stay close to his line and looks weak dealing with crosses.

Hopefully we will see an improvement.

That's a good point, I will have to look at that situation again as I only saw it the once and even then I was too busy thinking fudge THIS'...when the geezer missed that, I felt they had blown their chance, because any decent top pro would've said 'enough's enough, no more wizard's sleeve in this fudgeing half!'...I still think it is worth noting strongly that for 10 minutes, the Paulinho sub had minimal effect with regards to 'spiking' Sheff Utd endeavor. The Lamela sub really hurt us there IMO. I think Davies over Rose was fine. I'd have worried that Rose might have got a red card on a night like that, although I probably should not be worrying about stuff like that from professionals who SHOULD be able to keep themselves in check.

I don't agree at all. The shape went to pot as soon as Paulinho came on for Dembele. The pressing game from the front which Dembele supplied went. Paulinho just isn't a presser. It enabled Sheffield U to be more composed and pick their passes. It all went Pete Tong from thereon. Townsends lack of industry (compared to Lamela) exacerbated the situation but we were already being shown up and the warning signs were there. Disasterous first sub was the catalyst IMO

Also, Davies was really poor in both games. He allowed far to many crosses to come in from his side in both games.

On the other hand, Paulinho and Lamela both get an extra half point for going with the short shirt sleeves on a night like that. :)

If the game had ended after 75 minutes I think we would all have been pretty satisfied with that performance but the last 20 minutes were nerve wracking, and we looked particularly vulnerable down our left flank, especially when United attacked from deep.

Was that Eriksen's responsibility to track back on the left-hand side from the halfway line? He moved over for the first goal but did not quite get there. Was he covering for someone else, or simply out of position?

I have generally been in the camp recently of those who believe Townsend is a more positive option than Lamela but on Wednesday night it looked like Townsend had placed a huge bet on United to win the tie inside 90 minutes.

milo submitted a new blog post

Match ratings - Sheffield United

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Back