• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in football

Didn’t really know where to put this so put it here. My lad, who is 12, joined a new team and played his first competitive game today against his old team.

Second half is about to kick off and one of the opposition, an Algerian boy, alleges that hes been called “a fudging Paki” by one of my sons team mates who happens to be the coach’s son. The opposition player is clearly distressed and I know him - he isn’t the type to make that up. My son’s team mate denies it and says that he said “you little brick”. The ref says he didn’t hear it so can’t do anything and the coach/dad says “well it’s his word against his”.

I know this is a tough area and I have the benefit of knowing the kid who says he was abused so I know for sure something happened whereas others don’t have that benefit. But what should be the protocol there because I don’t think as a coach or a dad “it’s his word against his” is good enough.

I heard it happened in another game today in the same age group and the ref insisted the alleged offender was taken off before he’d restart.

Didn’t really know where to put this so put it here. My lad, who is 12, joined a new team and played his first competitive game today against his old team.

Second half is about to kick off and one of the opposition, an Algerian boy, alleges that hes been called “a fudging Paki” by one of my sons team mates who happens to be the coach’s son. The opposition player is clearly distressed and I know him - he isn’t the type to make that up. My son’s team mate denies it and says that he said “you little brick”. The ref says he didn’t hear it so can’t do anything and the coach/dad says “well it’s his word against his”.

I know this is a tough area and I have the benefit of knowing the kid who says he was abused so I know for sure something happened whereas others don’t have that benefit. But what should be the protocol there because I don’t think as a coach or a dad “it’s his word against his” is good enough.

I heard it happened in another game today in the same age group and the ref insisted the alleged offender was taken off before he’d restart.
It's not good enough but I can't see a clear resolution to it without corroboration.
There's a clear positive and negative to both courses of action (or inaction) that you outlined.

A lot of kids football is toxic, kid in team my grandson use to play for was hit by a parent, the kid got sent off correctly for his behaviour but theres no excuse for him being hit by an adult, league took no action against team of attacker as their other parents lied in evidence and they are a "big club" in league. I would ban all parents from touchlines in games, they cause most of the trouble.

A lot of kids football is toxic, kid in team my grandson use to play for was hit by a parent, the kid got sent off correctly for his behaviour but theres no excuse for him being hit by an adult, league took no action against team of attacker as their other parents lied in evidence and they are a "big club" in league. I would ban all parents from touchlines in games, they cause most of the trouble.
A lot of it is poor. I find the teaching of “the dark arts” to kids a real toxic problem. Things like “put the ref under pressure from the start so he gives us the 50:50s” and then talking about respect the ref is just hypocrisy. And, like you say, parents are a real issue. In all my time coaching and watching kids football, it’s rarely been the kids that are the problem.

If you ever want to see grown adults act like 10 year olds, go to a kids football game.

A lot of it is poor. I find the teaching of “the dark arts” to kids a real toxic problem. Things like “put the ref under pressure from the start so he gives us the 50:50s” and then talking about respect the ref is just hypocrisy. And, like you say, parents are a real issue. In all my time coaching and watching kids football, it’s rarely been the kids that are the problem.

If you ever want to see grown adults act like 10 year olds, go to a kids football game.
A kid in my seven year old's team routinely and totally unashamedly throws himself to the ground to win free kicks. He's a big boy too, and one of the better players, so there's not really a need for it. Makes me so sad to see this kind of behaviour among so young boys.

Then there's the opposite: Another one of the better kids is so well behaved and polite, while at the same time being a tough tackler and fighter on the pitch. If he accidentally knocks over or hurts another kid, he always apologises and ask how they are.

I know which one I want to succeed.

A kid in my seven year old's team routinely and totally unashamedly throws himself to the ground to win free kicks. He's a big boy too, and one of the better players, so there's not really a need for it. Makes me so sad to see this kind of behaviour among so young boys.

Then there's the opposite: Another one of the better kids is so well behaved and polite, while at the same time being a tough tackler and fighter on the pitch. If he accidentally knocks over or hurts another kid, he always apologises and ask how they are.

I know which one I want to succeed.

Whether we like to admit it or not, one of the big root causes of what you guys talk about above is the officials over a long time ignoring the very laws of the game that they are put on the pitch to administer. What needed to happen is that the officiating, in line with the laws of the game got stronger, not weaker. Now we're in a position where the managers at the junior levels are mirroring the Klopps and Peps of this world by trying to use every piece of gamesmanship going because the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

I watch Step 5 level mens football locally, and occasionally chat with the refs in the clubhouse. I've never had one that could really explain to me why they didn't give the blatant yellows. If you can't give those, there is no chance with the more subtle stuff we see. Refs would get a lot more respect from me if they just followed the laws of the game. I would live with the consequences.

Whether we like to admit it or not, one of the big root causes of what you guys talk about above is the officials over a long time ignoring the very laws of the game that they are put on the pitch to administer. What needed to happen is that the officiating, in line with the laws of the game got stronger, not weaker. Now we're in a position where the managers at the junior levels are mirroring the Klopps and Peps of this world by trying to use every piece of gamesmanship going because the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

I watch Step 5 level mens football locally, and occasionally chat with the refs in the clubhouse. I've never had one that could really explain to me why they didn't give the blatant yellows. If you can't give those, there is no chance with the more subtle stuff we see. Refs would get a lot more respect from me if they just followed the laws of the game. I would live with the consequences.
Totally agree. If refs had stamped down on this behaviour back in the days of Pires & co, we wouldn't have been where we are now. They let it slide, and now we see the consequences.

Totally agree. If refs had stamped down on this behaviour back in the days of Pires & co, we wouldn't have been where we are now. They let it slide, and now we see the consequences.

I should have mentioned, technology at the elite level should be working towards eliminating it this rubbish well.

2 guys appeal for a throw-in. The tech can clearly see that one of them knew touched it last and was just using gamesmanship. A quick word in the microphone, yellow card, no right of reply. Let's see what happens a month later, and the ripple effect through to grass roots.

I totally agree with the belief refs should be firmer and they should get better support from their leagues. I believe the windbags the TV companies employ should strongly condemn the cheating that is now considered to be part of the game and confront the culprits instead of snuggling up and being best mates. They get big audiences for their shows and should realise they have a massive impact on the behaviour of young people and a responsibility to protect the games integrity.

I totally agree with the belief refs should be firmer and they should get better support from their leagues. I believe the windbags the TV companies employ should strongly condemn the cheating that is now considered to be part of the game and confront the culprits instead of snuggling up and being best mates. They get big audiences for their shows and should realise they have a massive impact on the behaviour of young people and a responsibility to protect the games integrity.

You've hit upon the other big point. Companies like Sky think they are the product, rather than the game itself. They want commentators and pundits alike to glamourise the sorts of things we've been discussing. They don't have any concept anymore of the "spirit" of the game in the work they do.

the ex players who end up as pundits talk a good game [ or so they think], but the truth is that they may hve been good players but most have failed when they try to actually manage. But they still believe their way is the best way. When i watch games on the box i tend to turn the sound off when they start blabbing.

Last edited:
You've hit upon the other big point. Companies like Sky think they are the product, rather than the game itself. They want commentators and pundits alike to glamourise the sorts of things we've been discussing. They don't have any concept anymore of the "spirit" of the game in the work they do.

It’s coached out of them in pro game.

It’s not good business.

Back