• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pundits keep talking about ticket prices coming down with the new TV money

Supply and demand in this day and age. (I dont agree with this btw), but while we have a huge waiting lists and massive demand for tickets why would the club even consider lowering prices, we are now a business rather than a football club

I wonder if there is an economic advantage to being the first club to offer rock bottom ticket prices in the Premier league assuming that would attract back the, for lack of a better term, working class fan and lead to a hugely improved "traditional" atmosphere.

More singing, chanting and vocal passion leads to the team being encouraged and playing better. Could this possibly translate into better corporate, advertising and merchandising money as well as exposure outside of the UK? Is the point with corporate boxes to schmooze clients fullstop or to schmooze them AND offer the experience of the match?

Whilst the passion of the Sankt Pauli and Dortmund fans has become almost cliched i think most people would prefer to go and watch them for the overall atmosphere and sense of event than watching the boringly successful Bayern, no? This assumes of course that the hospitality is of equal quality with regards food/booze and so on.....and that the boxes aren't hermetically sealed with giant screens tv's
clear.png

Whats the increased capacity of our new stadium supposed to generate from the increased ticket sales? An extra million a game? A drop in the ocean compared to corporate budgets.

Is anyone aware of any research of the pluses and minuses in this area, probably done in Germany of course.

I wonder if there is an economic advantage to being the first club to offer rock bottom ticket prices in the Premier league assuming that would attract back the, for lack of a better term, working class fan and lead to a hugely improved "traditional" atmosphere.

More singing, chanting and vocal passion leads to the team being encouraged and playing better. Could this possibly translate into better corporate, advertising and merchandising money as well as exposure outside of the UK? Is the point with corporate boxes to schmooze clients fullstop or to schmooze them AND offer the experience of the match?

Whilst the passion of the Sankt Pauli and Dortmund fans has become almost cliched i think most people would prefer to go and watch them for the overall atmosphere and sense of event than watching the boringly successful Bayern, no? This assumes of course that the hospitality is of equal quality with regards food/booze and so on.....and that the boxes aren't hermetically sealed with giant screens tv's
clear.png

Whats the increased capacity of our new stadium supposed to generate from the increased ticket sales? An extra million a game? A drop in the ocean compared to corporate budgets.

Is anyone aware of any research of the pluses and minuses in this area, probably done in Germany of course.

Even at *only* £1M per match that's 3 Gareth Bales a year even if we get knocked out of all the cups early. Or 6 Michael Carricks or 2 Berbatovs.

That's not money I want taken out of the club.

Even at *only* £1M per match that's 3 Gareth Bales a year even if we get knocked out of all the cups early. Or 6 Michael Carricks or 2 Berbatovs.

I gave a context. I don't want 1 million per match taken out of the club either if we are going to ignore that context.

The other point being even with an improved capacity we will still be behind United and Arse on ticket sales income alone, let alone their other incomes as well as Chelsea and Man Citys financial muscle. Throw in Liverpools international appeal + finances and we can "only" be 6th best financially in the premiership and the gap will continually widen if we are perennial CL outsiders.

Also i don't actually consider our current business model sustainable for footballing success. Its not sustainable in my opinion to constantly be able to unearth Berbatovs, Modrics, Bales and potentially Kanes and rely on promotion from the academy as its something those other 5 clubs can copy themselves and may even be forced to with the FFP ruling on top of enjoying many of the current benefits they do.

Anything that is new and unique and differentiates our club could be of incredible importance.

If theres no advantage then fair enough. The continued highs and lows existance of Tottenham Hotspur as a stable bill paying going concern is my number one priority.

But given a choice between high ticket prices and no success and low ticket prices, a rocking atmosphere and no success i know what i would choose.

PS. I would good money to see Levy's face if someone was to suggest rock bottom ticket prices if he ever gets that stadium built
clear.png

A Europe-wide squad salary cap - say £65m per year (allowing 25 players on an average 50k) - would just take everyone away from the brink of MAD (mutually assure destruction) and try and make it sustainable.

Even the usually frivolous grand prix teams are coming round to the idea of the sustainability of the sport.

For me ticket prices have reached a tipping point. As a married man laying out £71 for a ticket at home to the scum last year was when I reached that tipping point. I could no longer justify paying that kind of money to watch a game for 2 hours. Its just way too much.

I have no hope of getting a season ticket to reduce the overall cost, or I would get one. So to be in that free for all ticket rush at overpriced prices just stops me wanting to go.

A salary cap would be a good idea. That would mean then that clubs are no longer having to just syphon the money down to the players and agents. FFP has helped. It means clubs have to be more wise to keep within the rules. But the players are way over paid. 300k a week is disgusting.

I used to follow spurs up and down the country. But I just cannot afford it any more. So im left with middle tier games, low priced cup games, TV and rivers. Its not what I like but im forced to do it.

My only hope ( a forlorn one at best ) is that the money that we get from shirt sponsors, kit sponsors, stadium sponsors and TV revenue will do dwarf what they receive from ticket money they will think to reduce ticket prices. A cap of say £50 would be good. Im not expecting it to be a fiver but £70 and up is just ridiculous, especially when we are not watching champions league football or a title chasing side.

So you want football to be watched by a relative wealthy group of fans and fudge the rest. Great business plan for the future that.

I go home and away and I will go whatever, I would rather spend what money I have on watching my team then tinkling it away in the pub everynight and paying stupid money on expensive meal or the latest phone, tablet etc. ( like many do)

You pays your money and takes your choice ( and no I am not wealthy by a long way).

People are strange. Many seem happy for the club to charge whatever they like, even if it got to the point where only rich people can afford to go. Many of these same people find the idea of being taken over by a super rich person and financed by a sugar daddy abhorrent.

Yet if a super-rich person takes over the club, ticket prices are lower for the ordinary fan.

Arsenal are financed by fleecing their support to challenge for the 4th place cup. This is, apparently, doing things the 'right' way and they are the club we want to use as our model.

Emirates Marketing Project , by winning league titles and having low ticket prices, they are doing things the wrong way as the money doesn't come from the pockets of ever wealthier fans, and their original fan base isn't entirely priced out of the game.

We all want Spurs to win and the chance of success always brings us a lot of hope and happiness. But if success is what matters, over the people that have actually followed the club through thick and thin, then why support Spurs in the first place? We're just not a successful team. 2 league titles in hundred and something years and no European Cup wins. Yet the cry is "make it £10-grand a ticket if you have to, losers be damned!" Surely Spurs, and Spurs fans have never been about that.

People are strange. Many seem happy for the club to charge whatever they like, even if it got to the point where only rich people can afford to go. Many of these same people find the idea of being taken over by a super rich person and financed by a sugar daddy abhorrent.

Yet if a super-rich person takes over the club, ticket prices are lower for the ordinary fan.

Arsenal are financed by fleecing their support to challenge for the 4th place cup. This is, apparently, doing things the 'right' way and they are the club we want to use as our model.

Emirates Marketing Project , by winning league titles and having low ticket prices, they are doing things the wrong way as the money doesn't come from the pockets of ever wealthier fans, and their original fan base isn't entirely priced out of the game.

We all want Spurs to win and the chance of success always brings us a lot of hope and happiness. But if success is what matters, over the people that have actually followed the club through thick and thin, then why support Spurs in the first place? We're just not a successful team. 2 league titles in hundred and something years and no European Cup wins. Yet the cry is "make it £10-grand a ticket if you have to, losers be damned!" Surely Spurs, and Spurs fans have never been about that.

That line of thinking actually makes sense though, unlike those that want cheap tickets AND expensive signings.

How can anyone want the club to charge whatever to as to be successful. I am sure if the prices continue to climb in the way that they are then we will start to see crowds going down. We may think that we sell out most games, but some we don not. Especially the cup games. People are starting to pick and choose. Lots of fans at other clubs have started action with groups to fight the rise in ticket prices. This is obviously an issue for the broader spectrum of fans up and down the country.

If you root out the lower paid level of fans then you will end up with stadiums full of the prawn sandwich munching phalanx. Atmosphere will dwindle and die and the reason that you like to go to games for the passion of the fans, the rivalry and the ecstasy will die with it.

Many people hold the Bundesliga up in high regard. Why is that? because they fill their stadiums by keeping tickets low. This in turn creates an amazing atmosphere. So fine. If you want prices to rise to be competitive but kill the atmosphere then you will get what you want. But if you want the retain or even increase the atmosphere like we used to have on a regular basis, or even to create the kind of atmosphere they have at Dortmund of Munich then we need to get ticket prices dropped.

Supply and demand - football clubs will still sell there tickets at high prices as long as people are willing to pay for them.
The only way that clubs are going to reduce prices is if we stop going.
I am one to talk - paid £70 to sit in the west stand on Saturday for the NLD -
Best £70 I ever spent!

Supply and demand blah blah blah . . . heard that all the time. Its not the point. And one experience where £70 is worth it is easily changed to an experience where it was not worth it. Take the emotion out of it and look at it before the game happened. Im sure anyone of us would pay £500 for a ticket if you knew Spurs would win the League cup. But if we lost, well you might think twice about what you just laid out.

There is a demand. Its true. But if we are to soon have a 60k stadium. I would say there is going to be a surplus of a supply at that rate. Levy could make a monumental decision that with the increase in stadium size he drops prices. otherwise I dont see us filling it.

I have been going to games since the early 60's and one of the most constant bitch by fans is ticket prices, they are always FORCED to pay too much ( in their opinion). As I have said earlier if people want to spend money in the pub, on going to the west end to see a show and pay stupid money ( imo) on expensive meals ( as the great Will Self once said, " what is food?, just brick waiting to happen") then that is their choice, if they want to spend silly money ( imo) on stupid abacus games, the latest phone, tablet or whatever then that is their choice.

It depends where/what the punter decides to spend his money on, no one forces anyone to go to games as someone else has already said its supply and demand, if they are those who spend their money on the things I have mentioned so be it, me I have no problem on spending mine on watching my team. And I have said I am not wealthy by any means.

Supply and demand blah blah blah . . . heard that all the time. Its not the point. And one experience where £70 is worth it is easily changed to an experience where it was not worth it. Take the emotion out of it and look at it before the game happened. Im sure anyone of us would pay £500 for a ticket if you knew Spurs would win the League cup. But if we lost, well you might think twice about what you just laid out.

There is a demand. Its true. But if we are to soon have a 60k stadium. I would say there is going to be a surplus of a supply at that rate. Levy could make a monumental decision that with the increase in stadium size he drops prices. otherwise I dont see us filling it.

Yeah I agree. Let's not kid ourselves, Arsenal have a bigger fanbase than us, but they do not fill that stadium every week despite what the official attendance figures suggest. And they have CL football every year too!

I have been going to games since the early 60's and one of the most constant bitch by fans is ticket prices, they are always FORCED to pay too much ( in their opinion). As I have said earlier if people want to spend money in the pub, on going to the west end to see a show and pay stupid money ( imo) on expensive meals ( as the great Will Self once said, " what is food?, just crud waiting to happen") then that is their choice, if they want to spend silly money ( imo) on stupid abacus games, the latest phone, tablet or whatever then that is their choice.

It depends where/what the punter decides to spend his money on, no one forces anyone to go to games as someone else has already said its supply and demand, if they are those who spend their money on the things I have mentioned so be it, me I have no problem on spending mine on watching my team. And I have said I am not wealthy by any means.

On the other side of it, you said you are not wealthy, so there may come a time when you yourself cannot afford to go. I agree to an extent there are people who buy the shiny new iPhone even though they cannot afford it, but some people work hard but still genuinely can't afford to go despite not being extravagant with their money, do you not see a problem with that? I'm lucky that I can afford to go myself, but I feel for those who can't.

On the other side of it, you said you are not wealthy, so there may come a time when you yourself cannot afford to go. I agree to an extent there are people who buy the shiny new iPhone even though they cannot afford it, but some people work hard but still genuinely can't afford to go despite not being extravagant with their money, do you not see a problem with that? I'm lucky that I can afford to go myself, but I feel for those who can't.

I have no problem with wanting ticket prices to come done I would not object to that. But as I say people have to decide what/where they want to spend their money, some like to tinkle it up, some like to buy the latest "must have" new toy, as I say you pays your money you take your choice.

Back