• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2024

So it clashes with the QPR friendly, so that’s why I was wondering about the lineup. Surely it has to be an extremely young team.

Apologies, thought it was the QPR game you were on about.
Its down as the u21's, so we might see a couple drop back down to play in that game. We dont need Son, Lankshear, Veliz and Scarlett for the first team, and probably one or two more drop back down.

So … is anyone else potentially heading to the St Albans City vs Spurs XI tomorrow afternoon? Any idea what sort of lineup to expect?

I’m debating taking my three year old to his first Spurs game, given we’re local and it’s likely to be a family affair.

Reguillon, gil? The youngsters that didn't get in the squad weds.

Didn’t know where to put this but is anyone else thinking the squad potentially is huge and an issue for Ange … and that is without signings

We have a Vusokivic in theory coming next summer which would give us 6 Cbs if you add Dorrington and Philips to the 3 we have today

Then in midfield we have a huge amount if options, all be it with really mixed “experience”

Bissouma
Skipp
Bentacur
Maddsiona
Sarr

From the senior group

And then
Gray
bergvall
Donley
Devine
Abbott
Hall

Yet we know the club seem to want another creative player in it seems

Then up top we have

Son
Werner
Richy
Kulu
Johnson
Solomon

Plus
Veliz
Scarlett
Lankshear

And again the club seem the wing to sign a striker

Plus we have players who aren’t wanted that we know of like Gil and Reggie (and maybe some of the above)

It’s a hell of a lot of planning to make sure the youth get chances (they all seem to be hugely talented) vs managing the needs for now

I personally would love the club to share some the plans with the fans so we can really get our heads around the philosophy. I appreciate if it was that we’re going forward with the youth players out fan base would start burning effigies of Levy… but personally I’d love it

Didn’t know where to put this but is anyone else thinking the squad potentially is huge and an issue for Ange … and that is without signings

We have a Vusokivic in theory coming next summer which would give us 6 Cbs if you add Dorrington and Philips to the 3 we have today

Then in midfield we have a huge amount if options, all be it with really mixed “experience”

Bissouma
Skipp
Bentacur
Maddsiona
Sarr

From the senior group

And then
Gray
bergvall
Donley
Devine
Abbott
Hall

Then up top we have

Son
Werner
Richy
Kulu
Johnson
Solomon

Plus
Veliz
Scarlett
Lankshear

Plus we have players who aren’t wanted that we know of like Gil and Reggie (and maybe some of the above)

It’s a hell of a lot of planning to make sure the youth get chances (they all seem to be hugely talented) vs managing the needs for now

I personally would love the club to share some the plans with the fans so we can really get our heads around the philosophy. I appreciate if it was that we’re going forward with the youth players out fan base would start burning effigies of Levy… but personally I’d love it
Useful overview. I'm sure we'll see a lot of outgoings. In defense, I think Phillips will get a loan, Dorrington is not fit, and Vuksovic is not here yet. So that leaves Romero, Van de Ven, and Dragusin. We need another left-footed player there, and someone like the Danish youngster from Lecce we are now linked with is exactly the kind of signing I would expect us to make there. Davies will stay on for another season too.

In midfield, the fact that the contracts of both Biss and Benta run until summer '27 means that we have a full season to see what the youngsters can do without having to sacrifice the here and now. If Bergvall, Hall, and Gray look exceptionally good, I expect us to seek bidders for both next summer, when our hand is not yet forced by a contract running down. One of Donley and Devine I expect to get a loan, probably Devine.

Up front, we need more quality now. Toney? I think someone younger like David would be a better fit for Levy/Ange. I don't think Scarlett will make it long term, and if Lankshear is as good as some believe he is, then there are limited options also for Veliz. I think a core group is materializing which can push on for two or three seasons at least.

So that would be, for this season:

Vicario/Forster
Porro/Spence
4 CB's including a new left-footed one who can also be back up to Udogie
Udogie (+ Davies)

Biss/Benta/Maddison/Deki
Hall/Donley/Bergvall/Gray

Son/Johnson/Richy/Werner (+ Solomon?)
Lankshear or Scarlett
1 new striker

That is a fantastic 25 main squad, with no HG issues for the foreseeable future (even assuming that Skipp will leave). That means 'all' we have to do this summer is to offload Gil, Reggie and GLC, and then get a left-footed CB and a striker.

Useful overview. I'm sure we'll see a lot of outgoings. In defense, I think Phillips will get a loan, Dorrington is not fit, and Vuksovic is not here yet. So that leaves Romero, Van de Ven, and Dragusin. We need another left-footed player there, and someone like the Danish youngster from Lecce we are now linked with is exactly the kind of signing I would expect us to make there. Davies will stay on for another season too.

In midfield, the fact that the contracts of both Biss and Benta run until summer '27 means that we have a full season to see what the youngsters can do without having to sacrifice the here and now. If Bergvall, Hall, and Gray look exceptionally good, I expect us to seek bidders for both next summer, when our hand is not yet forced by a contract running down. One of Donley and Devine I expect to get a loan, probably Devine.

Up front, we need more quality now. Toney? I think someone younger like David would be a better fit for Levy/Ange. I don't think Scarlett will make it long term, and if Lankshear is as good as some believe he is, then there are limited options also for Veliz. I think a core group is materializing which can push on for two or three seasons at least.
Toney is the perfect fit imo and I know we are after him. His age means we can get 2/3 years out of him whilst the younger players develop and he knows the league

If we loan out Philips again and we also have the Croatian lad on loan
And dorrington to come back
And the sign another CB (dorgu I think you mean?)
In a years time that’s a LOT of cBs

That’s the kind of planning that the club are doing I’m sure

You didn’t even mention Devine in your midfield list and there are many others too

Bissouma
Skipp
Bentacur
Maddsiona
Sarr

From the senior group

And then
Gray
bergvall
Donley
Devine
Abbott
Hall

Then up top we have

Son
Werner
Richy
Kulu
Johnson
Solomon

Plus
Veliz
Scarlett
Lankshear

It's great news that the U21s are coming into the mix for the first team squad, but they are also de facto the U21s. They are also young (for U21s) - Craig is the only player who is over 20; so it's not close to crunch time yet. Many will likely go on loan next season.

I think there's still about 8 or 9 who will leave permanently this summer. But in terms of clearing room, I reckon one method might be not recruiting any fullback cover, but instead letting the young midfielders play there.

So that would be, for this season:

Vicario/Forster
Porro/Spence
4 CB's including a new left-footed one who can also be back up to Udogie
Udogie (+ Davies)

Biss/Benta/Maddison/Deki
Hall/Donley/Bergvall/Gray

Son/Johnson/Richy/Werner (+ Solomon?)
Lankshear or Scarlett
1 new striker

That is a fantastic 25 main squad, with no HG issues for the foreseeable future (even assuming that Skipp will leave). That means 'all' we have to do this summer is to offload Gil, Reggie and GLC, and then get a left-footed CB and a striker.
I actually agree with this
It’s why I don’t see the Eze link making sense (great player by the way)

It's great news that the U21s are coming into the mix for the first team squad, but they are also de facto the U21s. They are also young (for U21s) - Craig is the only player who is over 20; so it's not close to crunch time yet. Many will likely go on loan next season.

I think there's still about 8 or 9 who will leave permanently this summer. But in terms of clearing room, I reckon one method might be not recruiting any fullback cover, but instead letting the young midfielders play there.
8 or 9 leaving… who do you mean?

Toney is the perfect fit imo and I know we are after him. His age means we can get 2/3 years out of him whilst the younger players develop and he knows the league

If we loan out Philips again and we also have the Croatian lad on loan
And dorrington to come back
And the sign another CB (dorgu I think you mean?)
In a years time that’s a LOT of cBs

That’s the kind of planning that the club are doing I’m sure

You didn’t even mention Devine in your midfield list and there are many others too
This is assuming that one of Devine or Donley get a loan - most likely Devine.

I actually agree with this
It’s why I don’t see the Eze link making sense (great player by the way)
Unless Ange does not want a classic number 9, but prefers someone like Eze there. I too do not think that Eze makes sense, but it would be a statement (not sure we need that though). I would prefer us to sign a youngish number 9, someone like David from Lille.

Unless Ange does not want a classic number 9, but prefers someone like Eze there. I too do not think that Eze makes sense, but it would be a statement (not sure we need that though). I would prefer us to sign a youngish number 9, someone like David from Lille.
This is where I’m the opposite
For me we have the youngish 9s already who could become anything
Want a player who knows it
I like David but not sure if he will step up. It’s a gamble
Toney is almost as sure a bet as it gets for the money (and yeah people will say attitude etc….)

Back