• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

As far as Brexit goes, the make up of the house isn't relevant in such binary terms.

I would commenting on the lack of confidence in the Govt.
Interesting you made it solely related to Brexit.
It's about Brexit because plenty of MPs are voting against the wishes of those who elected them.

After an election I'd expect the Conservatives to have a small but workable majority.

So just what happens if there is another election now before Brexit? I don't really understand who benefits? Can one of you explain the likely scenario?

Would effectively be referendum 2.0 imo, with either side campaigning on a leave/remain basis.

Winner takes all

So have Labour wanted to remain all this time but just kept quiet in order to watch the Tories implode or have they just seen Remain as a way in to Govt in recent weeks?

If they come out and say vote for us and let's forget Brexit ever happened won't they have the same problem we have now with a huge no. of voters that believe we have to leave because of.. 'democracy'?

Conservatives all focusing on the constitutionality of the bill and the hobbit allowing them to introduce it.

Sounds to me as if they're laying the (fairly solid) groundwork for HM to refuse royal assent.

So have Labour wanted to remain all this time but just kept quiet in order to watch the Tories implode or have they just seen Remain as a way in to Govt in recent weeks?

If they come out and say vote for us and let's forget Brexit ever happened won't they have the same problem we have now with a huge no. of voters that believe we have to leave because of.. 'democracy'?

Basically yes.

Corbyn wants out, Labour are pro remain. Corbyn wants the PM job more than Brexit though so will campaign properly this time round.

So it sounds as if Farage is saying he'll cooperate with Boris over an election only on condition that the WA gets binned. 'No deal' or 'new deal', by the sounds of it.

Yet Boris has pegged everything on leaving on 31st October. There clearly isn't any 'new deal' getting done on that turnaround. A tweak to the WA, possibly, which it seemed was what Boris was aiming for, but Farage is apparently saying he won't have that.

BJ surely can't credibly campaign on getting a new deal and still leaving in October, and surely won't openly campaign on no deal alone. So how does that circle get squared?

Nicked from the guardian comments. Is it feasible?

Step 1 done. Now:
2. Win the vote tomorrow
3. Reject Johnson's bid for an election
4. Call a vote of no confidence
5. Form a new Government
6. Postpone Brexit
7. Negotiate a Brexit deal with the EU
8. Put it to the people, with remain as an option.

Brexit sorted by March. Then 9. call an election.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Step 1 done. Now:
2. Win the vote tomorrow
5. Form a new Government
6. Postpone Brexit

Labour only have 247 MPs out of 650. A good 20-30 of them are brexiteers. There's no way they could govern

f232d8de29bdfc4041baea1b3206d268.jpg

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Step 1 done. Now:
2. Win the vote tomorrow
5. Form a new Government
6. Postpone Brexit

Still won't work because Corbyn.

There may be some rebels willing to vote against the government but they've all been very clear they won't vote for Corbyn as PM. He'll need to step down and the party will have to appoint a moderate before they can win a VONC.

Corbyn knows his only chance of power comes via a GE, which is why he's at odds with his own party over whether to man up to the challenge or tuck it in and hide behind Diane Abbott again.

Also, 7 can't happen if 2 happens.

Last edited:
What a terrible speech from Johnson yesterday, I used to think he was a fairly decent public speaker but he got torn apart - no clear answers to basic questions that he knew would be asked and stuttering away made it look even worse. His speech the day before outside no 10 was equally as bad. Didn't sound like he believed anything he was saying at all.

I don't think it's a strong strategy to be so aggressive e.g. things like Cummings demanding the aide's phone then sacking her on the spot and getting police to march her out are just wrong and the pubic really don't like that sort of thing.

I don't see how Corbyn can refuse an election, if he wants to put it back to the people then surely an election before the EU summit is the perfect opportunity then whoever wins will have the backing of the people (FPTP aside) and would get to determine the outcome plus it's all he's wanted for the last few years.

Surely Labour can't backtrack on a GE now? They've been using wanting one as their excuse for wavering over everything else for months.

They could, I certainly woudnt put it past them, and a vote of no confidence gets Corbyn his dream job...

But then what? We just flip the coin and end up with a minority government still.

A GE makes most sense, in so much as it will be referendum 2.0. The parties will have to actually state a position, and the people will decide.

I would imagine Labour to be pro remain, expecting that to be the popular choice - but who knows? Maybe Corbyn will pull rank and try for his nonsense customs union option, so he can still (sort of) Brexit and then look to make his other manifesto pledges happen.

Lib Dems will of course be straight up remain, no BINO.

Cons would most likely take a leave position, pretty much as they are now. Ideally with a deal but with no deal if necessary.

If this were the case, I wonder if the Lib Dems would split the Labour vote?

Back