• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players Levy lets get away

None of those listed in the opening thread were players Levy let get away.

Do you think it was a coincidence they all ended up at bigger clubs who operate consistently in the CL? The only time we acquire such standard of player is if the big boys don't want that player at the time, a la Lloris. But such times are few and far between, these clubs tend to snap up these players even if not in their immediate plans. Especially Chelsea. Got nothing to do with Levy. Players/agents hold off as long as they can to see who comes in for them, especially if the big boys are sniffing around....

Some of those are extremely speculative to claim to blame on Levy. Hazard, Oscar, WIllian and Depay for sure. The only "style" that would avoid those kinds of situations would be to just not go for any top class targets ever. This is life for a club at our level in football, we can't always get the targets we go for.

I also have to say that most clubs have these targets they failed to get. Liverpool fans apparently think they could have signed Ronaldo, United could have signed Bale... etc etc... Levy has been at the club almost 15 years, it would be absolutely shocking if there weren't a handful of players that "got away" regardless of style.

We've also "missed out" on some players that perhaps would have proven to be flops thanks to Levy's "style". Just fudgeing bring him in was said about Leandro Damiao just as a quick example, how many now think that Levy should have just spent the £20-25m for him?

Exactly, no real proof that any deals we "missed out" on really were anything more than speculation/media/agent whoring ..

We know over the years Levy's style has cost us some fine players, which ultimately hits him in the pocket when they go on to shine and increase in value. Of course it's difficult to sign quality players due to agents hawking them and higher wages available etc We've had the younger Parker and duff going for double salary elsewhere
But some could have been done if we went a little further faster. Who are they?

Obvious players are:
Cahill- (chelsea) deal was on, most clubs slow to react
Petit- (Ars) taxi for petit
Hazard- (Chelsea) Harry thinks he was close
Oscar- (Chelsea) Offered twice the wages
Willian- (Chelsea) Mourinho getting at AVB
Moutinho- (Monaco) Agents+ last day nonsense
Depay- (PSV) could club have changed PSV's mind about holding on another year.

Arshavin - Media said Levy had talks with him but couldn't agree a fee.

I am sure there must have been dozens of players Levy failed to sign despite having talks.

I'd flip this question on it's head and look at Lamela as a case study in buying potential.

We all know that Willian was first choice for a creative no.10 in Summer 2013 and we all know what happened there. Lamela was an example of buying potential - we had a chance to sign this 21 year old Argentinian wonderkid who has scored 15 goals for Roma and was regarded as the natural replacement for Totti.

Had he stayed at Roma (injuries permitting) he would probably have gone on to score another 15 goals + possibly some in the Champions League, starred for Argentina in the World Cup and would have been talked about across Europe. Then in Summer 2014 he may well have been sold for £50m which we wouldn't have been able to afford even if we'd been his preferred option - We'd have been kicking ourselves for not gambling when he'd been available for £30m 12 months prior.

Every potential signing, particularly young players who have no experience of playing PL football, come with a large amount of risk attached. Lamela may still prove to be an incredible signing for us (for £30m) but Levy will quite naturally have reservations about spending big money for foreign potential again in the future in the same way that after Klinsmann left in '95 Sugar steered well clear of 'Carlos Kickaball's like Zola and Bergkamp when we could have got them.

I think that Levy gave his full trust to Baldini in Summer 2013 to recruit well from overseas markets and I doubt that he will ever have that trust in him again hence why he alludes to the £10 - £15m comfort zone of young English players - a policy that served us so well under Arnesen in 2004-5 (Robbo, Huddlestone, Dawson, Jenas, Lennon, Carrick etc) and then again between 2007 - 2009 (Bale, Walker, Rose).

Dele Alli is the next in line and time will tell how effective he becomes but we do have a decent success rate when buying from this market. In the last 10 years who would you say had been our best signings (effect on the team and/or resale value.

There are eight general markets to buy players from:

Academy products:

Finally we have started to produce higher quality players from the Academy and started to use them in the first team. Kane, Mason, Townsend, Bentaleb are integral members of the first team squad and will hopefully be joined by Pritchard and Onomah in the next 12 months. Even the likes of Stephen Kelly, Jamie O'Hara and Livermore have been sold for decent amounts of money to reinvest into the academy. Only Poch and Sherwood have really given these players a decent chance. Not since Venables have any of our managers built a transfer strategy around using youth team players.

British potential (players, aged 21 with no or limited PL experience. The risk is relatively low as they will have resale value).

e.g. Dawson, Lennon, Huddlestone, Walker, Rose, Bale. These players have all enhanced our squad to varying degrees even the likes of Davenport, Reid, Naughton and Gunter have served a purpose as squad players and/or been sold at a profit.

With Dier being one of only a couple of positive lights this season (as new signings) and Dele Alli already coming in I see this being a market we will focus our attentions on again.

British (based) Established (players aged 21-29 with PL experience. They should be able to hit the ground running but represent risk due to resale value)

This seems to be an area we've struggled in when spending big (£12m +). Bent and Bentley were huge disappointments (although Bent was sold at a profit).

This was a market that Harry liked to dabble into - Crouch, Parker, Defoe, Kaboul, Adebayor, Kranjcar, Bassong for modest fees all made short-term improvements for us. Levy was able to sell several of these at a profit. Prior to that Ferdinand, Ziege and Sherwood are good examples.

I think it unlikely we will sign many players from this market anytime soon.

British (based) experienced players (players aged 30+ with PL experience. Usually available for little to no outlay).

These signings are few and far between. Friedel is the only recent example I can think of. Going back a little further Teddy and Poyet arrived in 2001 and fulfilled a very short-term purpose.

With such a young squad this would be a good market to identify a signing from. I really think Cambiasso could do for us what Davids did for a season in 2005-06.

Foreign potential (players aged 21 or below playing below the A grade European leagues - Germany, Spain or Italy)

When we first signed Kaboul he fitted into this category and it took him a couple of years (and a move to Pompey) to get to grips with English football. Dervitte springs to mind.

This is not a market we have done well in. Yedlin is the only current example in the squad (and may just be here to sell t-shirts in America!)

Foreign based moderate players (aged 21+ for modest fee - £5m or less)

Examples of these would be Pedro Mendes, Stalteri, Tainio or more latterly Stambouli, Holtby or Sandro)

These players rarely establish themselves in the team and tend to have gone within 2 years rarely for a profit.

Foreign based established players (players aged 21+ for £6m +)

Modric, Lloris and Berbatov are the shining stars from this group and hopefully Eriksen and Vertonghen will follow. Seemingly a favourite market for Commoli and Baldini. We have spent £15m on Pav, Paulinho, and Lamela and £7m + on Chriches, Chadli, Fazio, Gomes, Capoue.

This category is very hit and miss for us with as many major flops as successes. However it appears to be a popular one for us.

The Foreign superstar (highly established 23 years + signing for large amount of money - £20m +)

Players with huge reputations who are expected to make an immediate impact. Soldado was probably the first of this type we have signed since Rebrov. Enough said!

Veteran Foreign players (aged 30 +)

We have had modest success from this market with Davids and Naybet providing guidance to younger players. Not an area we have focused on in recent windows.

We know over the years Levy's style has cost us some fine players, which ultimately hits him in the pocket when they go on to shine and increase in value. Of course it's difficult to sign quality players due to agents hawking them and higher wages available etc We've had the younger Parker and duff going for double salary elsewhere
But some could have been done if we went a little further faster. Who are they?

Obvious players are:
Cahill- (chelsea) deal was on, most clubs slow to react
Petit- (Ars) taxi for petit
Hazard- (Chelsea) Harry thinks he was close
Oscar- (Chelsea) Offered twice the wages
Willian- (Chelsea) Mourinho getting at AVB
Moutinho- (Monaco) Agents+ last day nonsense
Depay- (PSV) could club have changed PSV's mind about holding on another year.

I think there was a lot of speculation that the smug Portuguese arse had signed Willian to spite AVB, myself included.
But he appears to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I think there was a lot of speculation that the smug Portuguese arse had signed Willian to spite AVB, myself included.
But he appears to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I think those speculations were... let's say somewhat paranoid and conspiratorial.

Chelsea are obviously trying to stay withing the FFP (or close enough to not get punished). Just way too much money to spend to spite us, we weren't even considered league rivals by them I'm sure. Willian is also a way too good fit under Mourinho to be bought just out of spite.

None of those listed in the opening thread were players Levy let get away.

Do you think it was a coincidence they all ended up at bigger clubs who operate consistently in the CL? The only time we acquire such standard of player is if the big boys don't want that player at the time, a la Lloris. But such times are few and far between, these clubs tend to snap up these players even if not in their immediate plans. Especially Chelsea. Got nothing to do with Levy. Players/agents hold off as long as they can to see who comes in for them, especially if the big boys are sniffing around....

It's good business sense from them - not 100% sure.....let's someone else try them in the Lge/develop them - then buy them.
The only thing that will stop the trend is to become CL regulars and the thing stopping that..... Is the trend!

Ridiculous to blame not signing all those players on Levy. The only ones which we screwed up on were Willian (cant remember who but someone at Spurs made it public that we had agreed a fee prior to us having it done and dusted) and from what I remember Petit.

None of the others were Levy's 'fault'. On the flip-side, what about all the other car-crash signings which our manager's have proposed over the years which we're not aware of and would have meant us signing over-priced, past their price players/

in this day and age you can keep it secret all you like but the players agent will leak it as its in his/her interest

Ridiculous to blame not signing all those players on Levy. The only ones which we screwed up on were Willian (cant remember who but someone at Spurs made it public that we had agreed a fee prior to us having it done and dusted) and from what I remember Petit.

None of the others were Levy's 'fault'. On the flip-side, what about all the other car-crash signings which our manager's have proposed over the years which we're not aware of and would have meant us signing over-priced, past their price players/

I agree, but some will blame him for the sun not shining. :)

Back