• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Noisy neighbours

Jurgen the German

Erik Thorstvedt
No this isn’t another thread about Emirates Marketing Project. A year ago, our next door neighbour died from cancer. She was 83 and a lovely lady who me and my wife both really liked and we helped each other out whenever we could. We live in a semi-detached house and the walls are very thin, but she was the model neighbour and barely made a peep except, we could hear her tv and phone ringing of course but besides that nothing.

Fast forward a year and the new neighbours are a bloody nightmare! A family of five with 3 young children around 1-5 years old. They constantly scream and shout even at half 6 in the morning and the parents never police it. To make things worse, they never leave the house. The dad goes to work around 4pm and gets home at 11 ish, we think he’s a delivery driver with those hours so it’s down to the mum to look after them when he’s not around. They moved in about 5 weeks ago, I went over and introduced myself at the weekend and asked them how they were settling in, if they need anything etc like using our bins as we’re only a 2 person household. I also politely asked if they could be mindful of the noise as we both work from home and it can be distracting. They seemed to take it well and I was firm but polite. Granted it’s only been a couple of days since I had a chat with them but the noise levels haven’t gone down at all. I don’t want to complain to the council as we will have to disclose it when we come to sell. Is there anything else I can do or does anyone have similar experience with this? I’ve considered contacting the citizens advice bureau but we probably need to give it more time. We do both accept there will be times when it is noisy as they have 3 young children but the noise is excessive at times and constant so we get no respite except when they go to bed. Is it asking too much for them to tell their children not to be so loud?

Discreetly call social services, say you seen them touching the kids. brick on the windscreen of their cars.

You got to out crazy the crazy.

Give them a clip for the first 2:40 of GHod Bless America and mention that they are slowly driving you towards the same :)

No this isn’t another thread about Emirates Marketing Project. A year ago, our next door neighbour died from cancer. She was 83 and a lovely lady who me and my wife both really liked and we helped each other out whenever we could. We live in a semi-detached house and the walls are very thin, but she was the model neighbour and barely made a peep except, we could hear her tv and phone ringing of course but besides that nothing.

Fast forward a year and the new neighbours are a bloody nightmare! A family of five with 3 young children around 1-5 years old. They constantly scream and shout even at half 6 in the morning and the parents never police it. To make things worse, they never leave the house. The dad goes to work around 4pm and gets home at 11 ish, we think he’s a delivery driver with those hours so it’s down to the mum to look after them when he’s not around. They moved in about 5 weeks ago, I went over and introduced myself at the weekend and asked them how they were settling in, if they need anything etc like using our bins as we’re only a 2 person household. I also politely asked if they could be mindful of the noise as we both work from home and it can be distracting. They seemed to take it well and I was firm but polite. Granted it’s only been a couple of days since I had a chat with them but the noise levels haven’t gone down at all. I don’t want to complain to the council as we will have to disclose it when we come to sell. Is there anything else I can do or does anyone have similar experience with this? I’ve considered contacting the citizens advice bureau but we probably need to give it more time. We do both accept there will be times when it is noisy as they have 3 young children but the noise is excessive at times and constant so we get no respite except when they go to bed. Is it asking too much for them to tell their children not to be so loud?
Not helpful....but these are the breaks I'm afraid.

What I would say is be very careful how you approach any parents with 3 kids under 5.

Not helpful....but these are the breaks I'm afraid.

What I would say is be very careful how you approach any parents with 3 kids under 5.

I spoke to the dad (I was very careful to knock on the door when I knew he was in as I didn’t want to knock when the mother was there alone like I was picking on her) and for what it’s worth he was ok when I mentioned it was loud at times and we both work from home. We accept it’s going to be loud at times but the mum never tells them off, at least we never hear her. We’ve heard the dad tell them off when they’ve been too loud first thing in the morning.

If she's looking after 3 kids aged 1-5 she will be on the absolute brink of going nuclear; she might present as sane, but inside she is thinking of weapons, destruction, running away and despair.
The noise will probably not get better for another 18 years, so you may need to get rid of them or move house.

I spoke to the dad (I was very careful to knock on the door when I knew he was in as I didn’t want to knock when the mother was there alone like I was picking on her) and for what it’s worth he was ok when I mentioned it was loud at times and we both work from home. We accept it’s going to be loud at times but the mum never tells them off, at least we never hear her. We’ve heard the dad tell them off when they’ve been too loud first thing in the morning.
They sound perfectly reasonable mate. I’d not interfere and would very much mind my own business.

If she's looking after 3 kids aged 1-5 she will be on the absolute brink of going nuclear; she might present as sane, but inside she is thinking of weapons, destruction, running away and despair.
The noise will probably not get better for another 18 years, so you may need to get rid of them or move house.
Don't forget that if they've had 3 kids in such quick succession they're clearly poor at both decision making and learning lessons too.

It's such a change in your environment and difficult to come to terms with after a quiet neighbour, it will get better particularly when the kids go to school, you will spend a lot of time throwing balls back over the fence.

They sound perfectly reasonable mate. I’d not interfere and would very much mind my own business.

Just reading back through this thread. It’s not interfering to not be wanting to be woken up for 6am every day because the parents have chosen the “gentle parenting” or huggy bear approach and just let the kids do what they want. We’re not unreasonable people and do expect some noise but there are times when it is excessive and the kids scream and jump up and down first thing in the morning which wakes us up without fail every day. On another note, they’ve also irritated half the neighbours in the street by parking their car on the side of the road which makes it difficult for some of the other residents to park their car and for traffic to pass through. It would also make it impossible for a fire engine to get through the street for example. Nothing to do with us as we have a two car drive and so we’re staying out of it but we heard one of our nicer neighbours (she’s in her 60s and a widow) asking him nicely if he could park about 5ft away on the other side of the road and he said “ I can park wherever I like”. Whilst technically that’s true, they’re not doing much to endear themselves to the rest of the street.

Just reading back through this thread. It’s not interfering to not be wanting to be woken up for 6am every day because the parents have chosen the “gentle parenting” or huggy bear approach and just let the kids do what they want. We’re not unreasonable people and do expect some noise but there are times when it is excessive and the kids scream and jump up and down first thing in the morning which wakes us up without fail every day. On another note, they’ve also irritated half the neighbours in the street by parking their car on the side of the road which makes it difficult for some of the other residents to park their car and for traffic to pass through. It would also make it impossible for a fire engine to get through the street for example. Nothing to do with us as we have a two car drive and so we’re staying out of it but we heard one of our nicer neighbours (she’s in her 60s and a widow) asking him nicely if he could park about 5ft away on the other side of the road and he said “ I can park wherever I like”. Whilst technically that’s true, they’re not doing much to endear themselves to the rest of the street.
In this case you want to smash everything they own up whenever you get a chance. Find out their routines and start a whispering campaign with their work and schools that they are abusive parents, criminals and Arsenal fans.

I. Raise the concern calmly
II. When it doesn't improve.....play heavy metal loudly at 2am that wakes the kids up
III. Wait until they raise complaint with you
IV. Agree you'll turn music down when they turn the kids down

Worked for me once and never had a problem after doing that.

Ouch. When I lived in Denmark we had neighbors like that for a year. Three small kids being noisy, but the worst was their mom who would just be screaming at the kids non stop, especially when they got out in the mornings. She seemed quite insane actually. Just screaming at the kids constantly without it ever helping one bit. Seemed so futile. Her husband had the greyest face I've ever seen and I could sometimes see him just walking his bike slowly around town to kill time (or so it seemed).

I tried to talk to them about the noise once, but only got a mumbled "wait until you get kids" response. We just had to live with it. That mom, holy crap, what a nightmare. At some point they moved to a house or something and things got so quiet and blissful.

Sorry, don't have any good advice, but I know the situation and that it sucks!

My mums neighbour had a kid who used to brick in his garden. I’m not sure his parents were aware or the kid was aware my parents could see him- they used to have dogs and just cleaned it up. He would have been 14 or so…

She never said anything to them. He ended up joining the army so I guess he still does it.

She damn well made sure everyone else knew though. You have to cut kids some slack but honestly - parents of such disfunctional units can fudge off.

Back