• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I'll give you that international football tends to warp the image of a manager but I think he's done pretty well for himself with Belgium. Granted, he's got a lot more time to prepare each game and there's very little pressure associated with being the Belgium manager but I wouldn't say their defending is below par and they were one of the most entertaining sides in Russia, a couple of years ago.

I don't believe he's on our shortlist but, as far as I'm concerned, I'd pick him over Benitez without thinking twice.
To be honest I think International football is a very different skill set to that of a club manager. There’s very little time to work with the players and a lot of the matches are mismatches, so for the top teams a tenure is usually judged over a month of knock out football every couple of years.

Belgium have something of a golden generation too, so I guess I’m still judging him on his domestic teams which were easy on the eye but not particularly solid at the back. Agree Benitez would not be right for us, I do think we will be going for the antithesis of Mourinho which will be a younger coach with a more attacking style of football.

To be honest if I was Martinez I think I’d ride the Belgium wave, he’s probably got more chance of wining something with them and I’m sure it’s a lot less stress than club management with a Europa league budget with CL expectations!

Interesting that AG is saying no to a specific manager rumour, rather than changing managers in general

Interesting that AG is saying no to a specific manager rumour, rather than changing managers in general
The consensus form various media and now ex players seems to be that a new man will be brought in this summer
Kane will stay at least another season (£££ and levy will be the reasoning)
I did have a chat with Jack Pitt Brooke on Twitter and he was clear that their source for Kane wanting to go was legit, but also that he doesn’t think he will go because of the above
He also thinks some players are so brought into Jose now that has to be a consideration with any management changes (nothing they haven’t said on their pod)

Rumours of Nuno at Wolves from last night (from the Express so was probably complaining about an immigrant having a job in the UK to be honest).

Anyway, not sure i'd want Nuno. He's got Wolves playing well with some decent results but has basically drafted in every player across the board, i do worry whether he can work with what we have already which needs fine tuning. We have some utter brilliance in the squad.

Rumours of Nuno at Wolves from last night (from the Express so was probably complaining about an immigrant having a job in the UK to be honest).

Anyway, not sure i'd want Nuno. He's got Wolves playing well with some decent results but has basically drafted in every player across the board, i do worry whether he can work with what we have already which needs fine tuning. We have some utter brilliance in the squad.

I was really impressed with how he did in the Championship and their first couple of seasons in the Premier League. They've gone off the boil a little this season but I like the way his sides play and I think that he's good at integrating new players into his system.

I was really impressed with how he did in the Championship and their first couple of seasons in the Premier League. They've gone off the boil a little this season but I like the way his sides play and I think that he's good at integrating new players into his system.

His record with Wolves is pretty impressive. Won the Championship in his first season, and then back to back 7th place finishes in the Premier League. They are 12th at the moment but that is still respectable for a club like Wolves, especially after losing Jota in the summer.

Can't help but think they had a team far greater in quality than their opponents in the Championship, rode that wave initially in the Prem and now they just look ordinary/poor - get a lot of players via the weird setup they have with that agent

One thing i was reading about regarding Potter was that part of his behind the scenes team that comes as part of the package is a recruitment analyst that assesses potential transfers and their suitability to his way of playing - Kyle Macualey, been with him since his days in Sweden apparently.

I like that

Can't help but think they had a team far greater in quality than their opponents in the Championship, rode that wave initially in the Prem and now they just look ordinary/poor - get a lot of players via the weird setup they have with that agent

I think that's a fair point.

His record with Wolves is pretty impressive. Won the Championship in his first season, and then back to back 7th place finishes in the Premier League. They are 12th at the moment but that is still respectable for a club like Wolves, especially after losing Jota in the summer.

It is, though I'd argue that Potter's is better. Achieved a lot over successive seasons in Sweden, then massively overachieved with Swansea and has done with Brighton as well

Santo has done well as you say, but I'd place him a little behind Potter, but ahead of Parker, Hassenhuttl etc

There was a time when i would have liked Martinez but he's worked himself out of consideration for me

He was always a half a season manager in the Premier League for me. His teams had a habit of starting badly and picking up once he'd worked out what his best team was. I couldn't help thinking that if his seasons had been the other way around, he'd have ended up getting sacked.

It is, though I'd argue that Potter's is better. Achieved a lot over successive seasons in Sweden, then massively overachieved with Swansea and has done with Brighton as well

I like Potter. He's done a good job at Brighton. I know someone who was coached by him at university and he has nothing but good things to say about him. I would prefer it if he'd had managed a mid-sized club before coming to us but I wouldn't be distraught if he was appointed and he good be very good. I do wonder how much manager profile will be a consideration for Levy and whether Potter gets disregarded on this basis.

One thing to consider is if we go back to a younger, enthusiastic, modern tactics type manager like a Potter, Parker etc. there might be a lot of negativity/come down from some of the squad. I mean it could go either way of course. They could fell refreshed with the new tactics and ideas, but with a lot of our high profile players like Kane, Son, Lloris etc being quite older and experienced there might be a bit of the 'I played under Poch, Jose and now we have this inexperienced guy trying to change everything' attitude, especially if there isn't any immediate impact.

All guess work of course, and you can't guarantee success either by going for another experienced manager with a high reputation.

Back